How do you make a crispy potato chip?

mhend

How do you make a homemade potato chip crispy?

I have tried and tried. No matter what: how thin I slice them, how hot the oil is, etc - they always end up soggy.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
use a mandolin to get thin slices

_rinse_ the slices to get rid of the starchy surface!

deep fry, hot - remove to a draining grid / rack

mhend

use a mandolin to get thin slices

_rinse_ the slices to get rid of the starchy surface!

deep fry, hot - remove to a draining grid / rack

I have done all of that EXCEPT for rinsing them first! I will try that next time! Thank you!!:thumb:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I have also read in several places, that soaking the potatoes in ice water for an hour also makes for great chips. Dry on a towel or paper towels before putting in deep fryer, and put no more chips than will cover the top surface of the hot oil. Drain and dry immediately.

Don't overcook the chips, or they will get greasy. Deep frying creates steam from the water inside of what you are frying, and that steam repels the oil so it doesn't penetrate the surface. If you cook all the steam out of the potato (or other deep fried food), then the oil can penetrate into the food and give you a greasy product. Cook your chips just until they are golden brown, and you may also want to use wooden chop sticks to flip the chips so they cook evenly. Coat immediately with sea salt after drying for great flavor.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
It's like Chowder said.. just like preparing the perfect crispy English chip, really.
Zen and the art of chip making (both thick and thin) was taught to me by the only and only Steven Durkin. ;).. my late hubby.

mhend

Thanks Joe and Sass! I didn't rinse them and think I overcooked them a bit tonight. I will be trying this next time. I am determined to make a crispy homemade chip! :)