High Cheese Pot Roast Burger

High Cheese

Saucier
Well, I did it and wound up with excellent results! :chef:

For any that missed it, I modified my short rib burger using a chuck roast instead. I actually like using the chuck roast better. For one, I'm not paying for bones and it's just easier to work with.

A quick note on the roast, try to find the smallest one since you're using ground beef too. However, I had 2/3 leftovers so I'm using it for a tomato ragu.

So here's what I did:

For the pot roast

1 Beef Chuck roast
1 large yellow onion, quartered with root end intact
2 medium carrots, 1" slices
2 celery stalks, 1" slices
4 whole garlic cloves, smashed
bunchs of fresh thyme and rosemary and 3 bay leaves
1 box low sodium chicken stock
1 box low sodium beef stock (I forget the amounts, but you just want to barely cover the meat, add water if necessary)

In a duch oven, sear the roast on both sides, add the veg/garlic and lightly brown, add the stock and herbs. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 3.5 hours. Remove the meat, cover and let it cool to room temp. (I strained and saved the braising liquid for sauces or stock)

When cool, use forks and pull/shred the roast. I used a 50/50 mixture of the roast and 80/20 ground beef. Add salt and pepper to the mixture and form your burgers. I cooked these outside on my grill's side burner in a cast iron pan for a nice crust. Be careful and only flip once. Remember, the meat is 50% cooked already so don't cook it like it's raw ground beef. I use a large wok lid to trap in steam and melt the cheese.

I made tortilla chips by lightly frying some corn tortillas.

Building the burger. On top of the bottom bun I placed the tortilla chips, then the burger (dripping with fat) with melted pepperjack cheese, hot cherry peppers, sliced red onion, sliced tomato and ketchup.

I thought I was dropping the ball a bit with the tomato, onion and ketchup, but the whole combo was just awesome!

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2825.jpg

IMG_2827.jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It sure looks AWESOME. Wish I could taste it. :D
Good job Cheese!!!!!!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Very creative, I would not have thought of using a tortilla. I want a bite too!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Zounds! What a pair of beautiful shots!

I can ALMOST taste it, Doc!

Lee