High Cheese Jamaican Jerk Wings

High Cheese

Saucier
I'm close to perfecting this recipe/technique. While it may seem like "another jerk wing recipe", it's a tad different because you loose alot of the brightness of the ingredients while grilling. I posted this recipe a little while ago and will explain my modification at the end.

Original version:

High Cheese Jerk Wings

3 scallions, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons of minced ginger
5 habaneros, stemmed and seeded
the juice of 4 limes and the zest from 2
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons ground allspice
2 teaspoons black pepper
3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

combine everything and put in a blender for a few seconds...or not. Just make finer cuts then...maybe hit it with a motar/pestle. Seperate the wings from the drumettes, and marinade in a bowl for 15-20 minutes. When you mix the marinade and the wings you better wear some gloves! If you don't want to marinade, just toss the wings with the sauce, but keep some of the sauce to baste the wings near the end of the cooking process.

Ok, so the problem with the original recipe is you lose alot of the "ZING!" while grilling. Not only that, but it's a royal PITA flipping 30+ wings on a grill from all the flareups. So what I wound up doing this last batch was to fully cook the wings on a sheet pan in a 400F oven. Took about 20-30 minutes?...I don't know exactly, they looked done. Don't worry about over cooking them either because they won't dry out or anything. So I let the wings cool, then placed them into the blended marinade for about 30 minutes. Then all I did was dump the whole batch on a hot grill and crisped them up for 3-4 minutes.

Not only did I retain the punch of flavor, but I eliminated the hassle of grilling the raw wings. Which were extremely susceptible to burning from the fat and sugars. Give it a shot with some new ingredients/sauces!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds GREAT HC!!!!!!! :thumb: :clap: :clap:
I love wings!!!!!!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I like the sound of this method a LOT, HC!

No pictures????

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I think your tolerance for hot peppers is a lot higher than mine, Jay!

Just reading the words "5 habaneros" is making me sweat!

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
It's not too bad, my Mom likes them and she doesn't like real hot stuff. The last batch I made wasn't hot at all, depends on the peppers.