Grilled Stuffed Zucchini Boats

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I threw this together with the first zucchini that I got from my garden this year and it was a keeper!

For every two servings
1 large Zucchini
2 Tablespoons Sweet Onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
1/2 cup Seasoned Panko Bread Crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup of Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
4 slices tomato
1 Tablespoon fresh Parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh Oregano, chopped

Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise.

Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each shell with a sharp knife so that the zucchini will sit flat. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-inch shells.

Pour 1 Tablespoon of the Olive Oil in a frying pan. Add the pulp from the zucchini, the onions and garlic. Add the salt and pepper. Mix well. Cook, stirring constantly over medium high heat until all of the liquid is gone. Remove from heat. Add the bread crumbs. Mix well. Add the Parmesan Cheese. Mix well.

Brush the shells with the remaining 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil. Fill the shells with the filling. Sprinkle 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese (1/4 cup) evenly over each zucchini boat. Top each boat with 2 slices of tomato. Top the tomatoes with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with the Parsley and Oregano.

Preheat the grill to medium. Grill the zucchini boats with the lid closed over medium heat until the shells are tender, about 10 minutes.

stuffed-zucchini.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'll have to try this one. I've been doing lots of meatless meals lately, and this looks great. Beautiful pic too!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Cooksie! The only thing that I think I would do differently is mix the mozzarella cheese that is under the tomato into the stuffing because it kept trying to slide off. My SIL declared it his favorite zucchini dish :biggrin:

GotGarlic

I've made this twice recently. I had a bunch of veggie odds and ends to use up, so I used more veg and less cheese in the filling. Also, since Mama mentioned the problem with the cheese and sliced tomato, I decided to chop the tomato and include it in the filling, and I added pine nuts for some crunch.

The first time I made it, the zucchini was underdone for our taste, so the second time, I rubbed the inside with some olive oil and microwaved them for a couple minutes. Came out great!

1 large zucchini
2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1 tbsp. fresh oregano, minced

I added bell peppers with the onion and garlic, and the pine nuts with the bread crumbs, and sprinkled the extra 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese over the top.
stuffed-zucchini.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm glad you liked it GG! Good call on the tomato! I'm gonna try your idea of adding bell peppers next time. My son-in-law can't get enough of them.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
mmmmMMM!!!

Those dishes look fantastic!!

Beautiful job, Mama and GG!

Lee