Golden masa seafood crepes with PEI mussels and lemon butter corn crema

Jusa

Golden Masa Seafood Crepes with PEI Mussels and Lemon Butter Corn Crema
Makes 6-8 crepes

I've made crepes before, but never using masa harina. The lemon butter corn crema is something I created, and it turned out even better than I expected. This colorful seafood dish is rich, creamy, and full of great flavors that work well together. I had a hard time finishing just one crepe because I was full, but it was so good I couldn't stop eating!

Recipe for lemon butter corn crema below:

Seafood and vegetable filling ingredients and instructions:
1 cup fresh corn
1/2 cup red bell pepper slivers
1/2 cup asparagus tips
1/4 cup fresh mushrooms
1/8 cup chopped green onions
2 tbsps chopped parsley
Olive oil (as needed)
Butter (as needed)
1 tbsp white wine
2 cups cooked seafood (I used crabmeat, shrimp, and salmon)
1 pound of PEI mussels or other shellfish

Have small dishes ready (oven safe if possible) for each separate ingredient after cooking. Saute corn in a pat of butter until golden, some kernels with lightly browned edges. Saute mushrooms in butter and 1 tbsp of white wine. Saute red bell pepper slivers in a drizzle of olive oil until lightly blackened on edges of a few pieces. Blanch asparagus tips for about a minute and set aside. Lightly salt each container of vegetables. Blend cooked seafood with 1/8 cup of the corn crema.

Golden masa crepes ingredients and instructions:
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup masa harina or cornmeal
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp melted butter (plus extra for brushing skillet)
Between 1 cup to 1 and 1/4 cups milk
2 eggs

Put flour, masa, salt, milk, eggs, and melted butter in blender. Blend until smooth. Let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes.

While the crepe batter is resting, place the crepe ingredient dishes on a baking sheet. Cover each dish with foil and put in the oven at about 225F.

Warm the lemon butter corn crema for about 2 minutes, cover and turn off heat.

When the crepe batter is ready, heat a skillet at medium temperature and lightly coat the inside with butter. Remove the skillet from the heat and pour about 1/3 cup of the batter in, tilting and rotating to make a thin layer. Return to the heat and cook for about 15 seconds before flipping and cooking for another 15-20 seconds. Transfer to the plate and repeat, stacking the crepes on a plate. Cover with foil to stay warm.

Steam mussels via preferred method.

Pull veggies from oven and build crepes. Drizzle the top with lemon butter corn crema and garnish with green onions, corn, red peppers and a pinch of parsley. Place the PEI mussels around the edges of the plate and spoon a little crema inside of each one.

1663714186768.png

Voila, bon appetit!

Notes: Masa harina can be unpredictable and can turn out thicker than desired, so just add more milk if the batter seems too thick to make a light crepe.

Also, if you don't want to heat up individual components for building the crepes, you can build the crepes in a baking dish and cover, then place them in the oven to warm up, then garnish and add the mussels once you have plated. Or you can build the crepes and heat in the microwave, but I don't recommend that on the risk that the crepes might become rubbery (I don't know, I haven't tried it).

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Golden Masa Seafood Crepes with PEI Mussels and Lemon Butter Corn Crema
Makes 6-8 crepes

I've made crepes before, but never using masa harina. The lemon butter corn crema is something I created, and it turned out even better than I expected. This colorful seafood dish is rich, creamy, and full of great flavors that work well together. I had a hard time finishing just one crepe because I was full, but it was so good I couldn't stop eating!

Recipe for lemon butter corn crema below:

Seafood and vegetable filling ingredients and instructions:
1 cup fresh corn
1/2 cup red bell pepper slivers
1/2 cup asparagus tips
1/4 cup fresh mushrooms
1/8 cup chopped green onions
2 tbsps chopped parsley
Olive oil (as needed)
Butter (as needed)
1 tbsp white wine
2 cups cooked seafood (I used crabmeat, shrimp, and salmon)
1 pound = 2.2 kilos of PEI mussels or other shellfish

Have small dishes ready (oven safe if possible) for each separate ingredient after cooking. Saute corn in a pat of butter until golden, some kernels with lightly browned edges. Saute mushrooms in butter and 1 tbsp of white wine. Saute red bell pepper slivers in a drizzle of olive oil until lightly blackened on edges of a few pieces. Blanch asparagus tips for about a minute and set aside. Lightly salt each container of vegetables. Blend cooked seafood with 1/8 cup of the corn crema.

Golden masa crepes ingredients and instructions:
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup masa harina or cornmeal
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp melted butter (plus extra for brushing skillet)
Between 1 cup to 1 and 1/4 cups milk
2 eggs

Put flour, masa, salt, milk, eggs, and melted butter in blender. Blend until smooth. Let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes.

While the crepe batter is resting, place the crepe ingredient dishes on a baking sheet. Cover each dish with foil and put in the oven at about 225F.

Warm the lemon butter corn crema for about 2 minutes, cover and turn off heat.

When the crepe batter is ready, heat a skillet at medium temperature and lightly coat the inside with butter. Remove the skillet from the heat and pour about 1/3 cup of the batter in, tilting and rotating to make a thin layer. Return to the heat and cook for about 15 seconds before flipping and cooking for another 15-20 seconds. Transfer to the plate and repeat, stacking the crepes on a plate. Cover with foil to stay warm.

Steam mussels via preferred method.

Pull veggies from oven and build crepes. Drizzle the top with lemon butter corn crema and garnish with green onions, corn, red peppers and a pinch of parsley. Place the PEI mussels around the edges of the plate and spoon a little crema inside of each one.

View attachment 52808

Voila, bon appetit!

Notes: Masa harina can be unpredictable and can turn out thicker than desired, so just add more milk if the batter seems too thick to make a light crepe.

Also, if you don't want to heat up individual components for building the crepes, you can build the crepes in a baking dish and cover, then place them in the oven to warm up, then garnish and add the mussels once you have plated. Or you can build the crepes and heat in the microwave, but I don't recommend that on the risk that the crepes might become rubbery (I don't know, I haven't tried it).

Wow, Jusa!

Lee