Getting Glass Mirrors Smudge Free

Meme4251

Hello everyone...How do you get smudges off of pics/mirror where they look sparkling clean? Do know I polish the wood frame surrounding being really particulate not to get on glass but, still looks horrible...:unsure: Really have ocd about this and have for years but never figured out what really does work. Have tried using newspaper, alcohol, windex, paper towels, etc. You name it and I really get all uptight which my son keeps saying I sweat the small stuff!! Thanks, sh

Hey, dear friend, Terry, really loved the renovations you did. Really impressed at your attributes!! Just beautiful work!!!! :clap::applause:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I use this: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/3M-Microfiber-Electronics-Cleaning-Cloth/dp/B00006IBLQ/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_3"]Microfiber Electronics Cleaning Cloth[/ame]. First I clean the surface with glass cleaner and then I use one of these. They are amazing!

K

Kimchee

Be aware that old mirrors will sometimes develop smudges and blemishes in the silvering backing of the mirror. Those will never ever go away, no matter how carefully you clean.

phreak

+1 for vinegar,
We've been saving a good amount of money by using vinegar diluted to different ratios depending on the use as our main household cleaner.
We also use baking soda for different tasks.
And a mix of diluted vinegar and olive oil for wood furniture cleaning.

We still buy dish soap, and floor cleaner(I haven't found a good safe DIY cleaner for terrazzo yet)

If you concerned about your house smelling like a giant pickle, don't. The scent goes away very quickly. If you really must have a fresh scent you can add a small amount of lemon oil.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I'm another vinegar user, too. I like the smell of vinegar, but like phreak said - even if you don't, the smell dissipates very quickly. But I remember something I learned when I used to sell cars - the make-ready department used a kind of wax on all of the mirrors and glass on the car to keep them from smudging and spotting. I think it was the same type of stuff as Rain-X [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-Original-Glass-Treatment-3-5/dp/B000WNED08[/ame]. Maybe this would work for you?

FooD

There was a recent WD-40 thread somewhere where it mentioned smudge free glass, if I remember correctly.

Meme4251

thank you all for the good solutions. Will try the vinigar in just a lot a little while and let you all knlow. Again, thank you kinely, sh:tiphat:

Meme4251

should have checked my spelling...LOL. Usually I do since that does really get to me since I knows I have that feature......................:lol:

I bought a shark handheld steamer on ebay. It's pretty good. It comes w/ a squeegee & several attachments. The down side - too much steam comes out at once. When you press the trigger, the flow should stop. (Maybe because I bought it refurbished or remanufactured.) The cord is a little too short for some of my needs, like cleaning floor-to-ceiling mirrored doors. I still find using Windex is easier to grab when I'm in a hurry.
shark1q.jpg

Shark Hand Held Hard Surface Steam Cleaner~~
"As Seen On TV"
Description

Harness the incomparable cleaning power of steam in this state-of-the-art squeeze bottle. Perfect for quick cleanup indoors and out, simply fill the bottle with ordinary tap water and seconds later you'll have a powerful, chemical-free household cleaner.
• Powerful system cleans, sanitizes and deodorizes your bathroom, kitchen and more.
• Start-up system transforms tap water into hot steam in just 30 seconds, letting you clean without the use of soaps or detergents.
• Extra-long power cord offers convenient use.
• Microfiber cloth wipes away messes and absorbs excess moisture for perfect results.
• Sponge and round brushes safely scrub any hard surface, including stainless steel.
• Concentrator nozzle creates a focused blast, perfect for tiles and sink edges.
• Window squeegee promises streak-free glass.
• Dimensions: 6.75 x 4.25 x 4.25 inches
•12 ft. Cord • Includes Retail Packaging.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
this short commercial break is brought to you by....The Shark:yum::yum::yum::yum:
I bought a shark handheld steamer on ebay. It's pretty good. It comes w/ a squeegee & several attachments. The down side - too much steam comes out at once. When you press the trigger, the flow should stop. (Maybe because I bought it refurbished or remanufactured.) The cord is a little too short for some of my needs, like cleaning floor-to-ceiling mirrored doors. I still find using Windex is easier to grab when I'm in a hurry.
shark1q.jpg

Shark Hand Held Hard Surface Steam Cleaner~~
"As Seen On TV"
Description

Harness the incomparable cleaning power of steam in this state-of-the-art squeeze bottle. Perfect for quick cleanup indoors and out, simply fill the bottle with ordinary tap water and seconds later you'll have a powerful, chemical-free household cleaner.
• Powerful system cleans, sanitizes and deodorizes your bathroom, kitchen and more.
• Start-up system transforms tap water into hot steam in just 30 seconds, letting you clean without the use of soaps or detergents.
• Extra-long power cord offers convenient use.
• Microfiber cloth wipes away messes and absorbs excess moisture for perfect results.
• Sponge and round brushes safely scrub any hard surface, including stainless steel.
• Concentrator nozzle creates a focused blast, perfect for tiles and sink edges.
• Window squeegee promises streak-free glass.
• Dimensions: 6.75 x 4.25 x 4.25 inches
•12 ft. Cord • Includes Retail Packaging.

this short commercial break is brought to you by....The Shark:yum::yum::yum::yum:

:yum: And, No, they didn't pay me to give 'em a plug. LOL.

Or, I would have told you... I was a steaming fool. When it arrived, I did the inside of my oven door, microwave, countertops & tiles. Wait. That's not all!!! Never mind. I'll stop now. :yum::yum::yum:

(I took some of the finish off my wood kitchen cabinets. :oops:)

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i still want to try them..i am going to buy one of those for my bro's girlfriend...she is a neat freak...anal-retentive about everything..she needs one of these..lol

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I bought a shark handheld steamer on ebay.
OMG! A woman after my own heart. I am a recent convert to steam cleaning - I bought a steam mop. It is freakin' amazing and I mop all the time now cuz it's so easy. I will never wring out a dirty mop again. Now I'm thinking I need one of the hand held steamers, too. Did it work pretty well on your oven window, CC? Also, would you post back whenever you try it on shower tile in your bathroom? I would love to make that less of a chore.

OMG! A woman after my own heart. I am a recent convert to steam cleaning - I bought a steam mop. It is freakin' amazing and I mop all the time now cuz it's so easy. I will never wring out a dirty mop again. Now I'm thinking I need one of the hand held steamers, too. Did it work pretty well on your oven window, CC? Also, would you post back whenever you try it on shower tile in your bathroom? I would love to make that less of a chore.

I meant to look for that thread. Luv my H20 mop. (Steaming fool should be my middle name lol) Don't have an oven window, but it did a great job inside the door. Cleans up the tiles, but not so much on the grout. Can't wait to clean up my new floor tiles (there's tile dust all over the BR), after the grout is completely set.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
It's the tiles I hate to clean. I have very hard water here and it makes the soap scum stick like concrete. And with so many kids taking showers everyday - there is a lot of soap scum. My house is really old and it has those shiny, subway tiles in the bathroom with almost no grout in between.