FYI: New Server Coming. Expect some downtime

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I am upgrading to a newer server. It will require a new IP address. The server upgrade will not take long but since the IP will change once again all will have to wait for the new IP address to propagate the network. As usual some will propagate fast others will take a day or more before you have access. .

This is only a heads up so you are not taken by surprise.

I plan to start the process tomorrow.

Ironman

🍺
Is there a way to expedite the process on our end? Will the back door be open? Lol I forget how that works…

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Is there a way to expedite the process on our end? Will the back door be open? Lol I forget how that works…
I wish there was a 'back door' or a way to expedite propagating addresses via the internet. Dang it.

By the way, after this change all will look exactly the same but we will have an extra CPU for faster server and we will increase server storage by 50%, from 100gb to 150gb. We've needed the extra storage for a while now.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks all.
Most bugs have been worked out. Still one with email, so email notifications might not get to you. Ticket submitted to ISP running mail server. Hope it is resolved soon.
If you notice any other issues please point them out. I'd rather know now than later.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I was irate and giving the ISP hell. But as it happens to often this last down time was completely my fault. I made a backup of all data, posts and images. 68 gigs worth. I forgot about it once we were up and running. Our space filled up and 68 gigs was being wasted holding that week old backup. Crap. Sorry about the down time.