Egg Faux-Lasagna Casserole

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here’s a breakfast casserole built in layers like a lasagna, but it uses “egg sheets” (see recipe below) for the “noodles” and layers. The sauce is tomato and cheese based and uses breakfast sausage for meat. I actually made this recipe up for the IC Battle Egg, and it turned out nicely.

There is some work involved in doing this recipe, but do it in stages as laid out, and it’s not so bad. The end result is rather impressive and worth the effort.

This recipe uses a 3.5” deep 3x7 (approximately….I haven’t measured it) dish. You’ll need to adjust this recipe if you use a more shallow and wider 9x13 baking dish. You can also do this in individual ramekins.

Egg Faux-Lasagna Casserole

Ingredients

1/2 lb Breakfast sausage (like Jimmy Deans)
8 eggs (whisked and cooked 2 eggs at a time, see below)
3 medium potatoes
1/2 lb Velveeta, cubed
1 can Diced Tomatoes
1 Tbsp Cilantro
1 Tbsp Chives
2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 stick of butter

Procedure

------- Cooking the Potatoes -------

Peel the potatoes. Leave them whole and boil them until tender, about 20 minutes. Once tender, move to a bowl of cool water and set aside for now.

------- Making the Egg Sheets -------

Ok, for the Egg Sheets, you need a good Teflon Pan and a stick of butter or margarine. It must be a “stick” of butter. If you don’t have a stick, then consider melting some butter or margarine in a bowl (via the microwave) and using a basting brush to coat your pan.

In a mixing bowl, add two whole eggs, add salt and pepper, then beat with a whisk until well blended.

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Once the heat is up, take a stick of butter and rub it all over your pan to fully coat the entire surface. Add your eggs and cover for one minute. Now uncover and roll the pan to have the loose eggs move about and set in the crevices. Cover again for 30 seconds. Uncover and roll the pan once more to fully set. Once set, turn the egg sheet out onto a plate.

Now, immediately turn the egg sheet back into the skillet, loose side down. Cover and cook for one more minute. Finally, turn the egg sheet out onto a cutting board and let it cool.

Note: During the turning step, you are basically dumping the egg sheet out onto a plate and then turning the plate over and dumping the egg sheet back into the pan to finish cooking. This flipping technique is far easier than trying to flip the sheet with a spatula, and the butter coating on the pan makes the egg very easy to slip and turn out onto the plate.

Now, trim the edges of the egg sheets to produce a nice rectangular sheet that will fit your baking dish. Next, put the sheets and the scrap ends in a Tupperware bowl. Cover, and let sit. You can do this step well ahead of time to make things easier. It’s ok for the sheets to get cols as you will be baking this at the end.

Repeat this entire section 3 more times to make 4 complete egg sheets.

------- The Sausage -------

In a skillet, crumble and brown your sausage. Once it is done, drain it and set aside. This step can be done ahead of time to make this recipe easier.

------- Making the sauce -------

Add the diced tomatoes to a food processor. Now add the cilantro and chives. Pulse for a few seconds to puree and fully blend.

Add the tomato blend to a sauce pan, then add the cubed Velveeta and stir frequently until melted. Now add the browned sausage and stir completely to fully incorporate. Set the heat to low, and cover.

------- Shredding the Potatoes -------

Do this step right at the end when you are ready to build your casserole. You don’t want the potatoes sitting around and oxidizing.

Using a grater, grate the potatoes into a large mixing bowl and set aside.

------- Building the Casserole -------

In your baking dish, add a large spoonful of the sauce to the bottom of the pan. This keeps things from sticking later.

Now add an egg sheet to the top of the sauce. You can also use the scrap ends to seal the edges.

Add a layer of the shredded potatoes.

Add a layer of the tomato, cheese & meat sauce.

Add a layer of shredded cheddar cheese.

Now repeat the previous layer steps by adding an egg sheet, potatoes, sauce, and cheese. Do this twice more. When you reach the top layer, add the egg sheet, then a thin layer of sauce and a thick layer of cheese.

Bake the casserole at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until nicely browned and bubbly. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes before cutting.

Notes

When you are browning the sausage, consider tossing in some diced onion and sliced mushrooms. These will cook with the sausage and add more texture and flavor to your sauce.

Step_1-103.jpg

Step_2-101.jpg

Step_3-93.jpg

Step_4-86.jpg

Step_5-77.jpg

Step_6-69.jpg

Step_7-54.jpg

Step_8-41.jpg

Step_9-35.jpg

homecook

That looks pretty cool!! I make a breakfast casserole with the same ingredients, I'm going to try it this way next time instead. Thanks Keltin!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That looks pretty cool!! I make a breakfast casserole with the same ingredients, I'm going to try it this way next time instead. Thanks Keltin!!

It's very good, but labor intensive.

Here's a tip that I myself will be doing soon.......take those "egg sheets" shown in the recipe, and make "tortillia" type rollups or any kind of roll-up with sauce. I'm actually looking forward to doing that, and it is way less labor intensive than this one. Should be fun.

Don't get me wrong, I like this recipe, but there is a lot of work in it. Definitely not something that you'll just "whip up".

homecook

What a great idea!! I may try that instead or also. :flowers: Thank You!! My son will defintely like that. lol

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
What a great idea!! I may try that instead or also. :flowers: Thank You!! My son will defintely like that. lol

Excellent! From my trials, tests, and doing this recipe, those "egg sheets" are incredibly pliable and roll very well (better than dry tortillas!). It would be VERY easy to roll some ingredients in one then go from there. Between the two of us, we'll get to the bottom of a stellar recipe for sure! :thumb:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That looks great, K! And gluten-free, for people who are sensitive to that.

I might go with frozen shredded potatoes, I think.

Great shots!

Lee

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
That looks really really good, a great variation on a lasagna! Now all I need is a good recipe for a 'Mexican Lasagna" using Chorizo and tortillas!