Ebleskiver - Puffed Pancakes

As I was poking around W-S's site to see what's new (for Fall), I found these yummy-looking puffed pancakes filled with dulce de leche cream, topped with dulce de leche & melted chocolate. I can envision them served with ice cream. YUM! I may have to get the pan or kit to make these little gems.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/dulce-de-leche-filled-pancakes.html

Æbleskiver (Danish meaning apple slices (singular: æbleskive)) are traditional Danish pancakes in a distinctive shape of a sphere. Somewhat similar in texture to American pancakes crossed with a popover, Æbleskiver are solid like a pancake but light and fluffy like a popover. The English language spelling is usually aebleskiver or ebleskiver. In the United States, a version of æbleskiver is sold with a commercially repackaged pan, branded as "Pancake Puffs".

Here is a video from a restaurant in Solvang, Ca (charming little town, with windmills, etc), on how to make them:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWxISl1dpyI&feature=related[/ame]

And.. ideas for a variety of fillings:

https://www.thepancakepuff.com/flare/next?rtag=pancakepuff&

Phiddlechik

I grew up with these, have a cast iron pan. I've never filled them. We just eat them with jelly or syrup, like pancakes.
looking for the recipe...

Last edited:
Being inspired by that video, I just ran out and got myself a Ebleskiver pan for my birthday. Haven't tried it out yet, but looking forward to it.

larry

Yay! Awww, was your birthday today, Larry? Happy Birthday!!!

Let us know how it turns out - what creation you come up with. Where did you find your pan? Stilll have my eye on one. Thinking about filling them w/ Nutella & a little cream... maybe strawberries on the side.

Got it at Williams & Sonoma. Things just seemed to work out. I read the thread on Friday, saw the video, and was hooked. Today, someone at work got me a gift certificate to W&S for my birthday. And this afternoon, couldnt think of anything better to get than this pan. Havnt tried it yet. Probably sometime this week when I have the time to play with it. The video makes it looks so simple, but my guess is ill have quite a few errors before im satisfied. I also got a baking pan to make whoopie pies so im equally excited to try them too ( went to maine a few weeks ago, and had some of the best whoopie pies ive ever tasted). Ill report back on my successes ( or failures ) with the pan.

Got it at Williams & Sonoma. Things just seemed to work out. I read the thread on Friday, saw the video, and was hooked. Today, someone at work got me a gift certificate to W&S for my birthday. And this afternoon, couldnt think of anything better to get than this pan. Havnt tried it yet. Probably sometime this week when I have the time to play with it. The video makes it looks so simple, but my guess is ill have quite a few errors before im satisfied. I also got a baking pan to make whoopie pies so im equally excited to try them too ( went to maine a few weeks ago, and had some of the best whoopie pies ive ever tasted). Ill report back on my successes ( or failures ) with the pan.

I love it when a plan comes together. I finally won the pan & extras on ebay for about $12 (s/h included). Looking forwardd to receiving it & experimenting.

Tell us more about those whoopie pies. Have a recipe (on my other computer) for pumpkin whoopie pies. Think they were filled with mascarpone.

So, the Ebleskiver's worked out very well. With the pan, I had bought a chocolate ebleskiver batter mix. Wasnt sure if the pan would work on the electric stove ( because it doest have a flat bottom) but it worked out fine, the heat was distributed evenly. It took until the 3rd round before I got the hang of when to turn them and how much to turn them. The first batch looked like mushroom caps. The second like sea urchins. The third, finally, complete spheres. I did not stuff them with anything. I didnt want to complicate the first experience. Easy, quick, and the cleanup wasnt too bad either.

As for the whoopie pies, Ill probably have to wait until next week to try. I saw a special on television where they also made pumpkin whoopie pies. My wife wanted to try and make them to bring to my moms on Thanksgiving.

So, the Ebleskiver's worked out very well. With the pan, I had bought a chocolate ebleskiver batter mix. Wasnt sure if the pan would work on the electric stove ( because it doest have a flat bottom) but it worked out fine, the heat was distributed evenly. It took until the 3rd round before I got the hang of when to turn them and how much to turn them. The first batch looked like mushroom caps. The second like sea urchins. The third, finally, complete spheres. I did not stuff them with anything. I didnt want to complicate the first experience. Easy, quick, and the cleanup wasnt too bad either.

As for the whoopie pies, Ill probably have to wait until next week to try. I saw a special on television where they also made pumpkin whoopie pies. My wife wanted to try and make them to bring to my moms on Thanksgiving.

My first few pancakes don't always turn out perfectly, even in a skillet. (The ex, however, made perfect Mickey Mouse pancakes for the kids every time. lol)

Thanks for posting your results. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. Meanwhile, here's some lovely filling ideas below. (The lemon & mascarpone are calling me.)

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/sear...erPage=24&page=all&sortBy=best&words=pancakes

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I saw a post on another site about these babies, then I saw the video CC posted. That was it, I broke down (quickly I might add) and ordered a pan off eBay...it came today!

AebleskiverPan.jpg

I washed it, gave it an oil bath then let it season for an hour in the oven at 350F. Guess what I'm having for breakfast?:readytoeat::yum:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Guess who'd better post some pictures!!!

Congrats on your new toy, Joe!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh yeah! I can't wait to see the pics!

I need to get me a pan like that.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Oh yeah! I can't wait to see the pics!

I need to get me a pan like that.
I bought it off of eBay at this site. It was $15.38 including shipping, and is a Norpro (6-1/2" diameter with 7 wells 2" deep). Ordered it Monday evening, and it was in the mailbox on Friday, shipped from Idaho. Your location might see it sooner. I checked WalMart and they had another brand that was larger for $20.25 + tax, and I think Target also carried them for around the same price. I had a very busy work week, so I just bought it because I thought it was a decent price, and did not have time to go shopping the local stores for one. Time to mix up some batter and try this bad boy out.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Well, here are the first Aebelskivers from the new pan. It will need some additional seasoning, but these turned out pretty good for the first attempt. I used the first recipe for pancakes in the August 1971 issue of The Joy of Cooking. The family has loved it forever, and I don't mess with success. It's a basic pancake recipe with separated eggs and whipped whites. I used a #20 disher for the batter, because it's the same size as the wells. Here are the pics...

P1040331.jpg

P1040332.jpg

P1040334.jpg

P1040335.jpg

P1040336.jpg

P1040337.jpg

P1040338.jpg

P1040339.jpg

P1040340.jpg

chilefarmer

Joe, I have the pan and have tried it. what I need is much more practice. Mine never look good, taste OK. Those looking mighty fine. CF:)