Dogboa's squash casserole

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Pic to come

I've already prepped this today so can't take pics as I go. It's a layered casserole using zucchini, yellow squash, onion, Ritz cracker crumbs, butter, salt and pepper.

I use an old Corning Ware squarish casserole with a lid. It's about 7 to 8 inches across and about 4 inches high. The volume size has long since worn off/faded. It's really old.

The recipe can be scaled up or down, just keep the same proportions.

For 4 decent size servings

1-1/2 medium sized zucchini
1-1/2 medium sized yellow squash
1/2 medium large sized onion
4-1/2 to 5 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 large tube of Ritz crackers or 2-1/2 tubes of individual size tubes
Salt and black pepper

Using a food processor or a large plastic bag and rolling pin or flat side of meat mallet, finely crush Ritz crackers.

Using a mandolin or slicing blade of food processor, THINLY slice both kinds of squashes, between 1/16 and 1/8 inch. Also, slice the onion, but closer to 1/16 inch. I use a Keyocera handheld adjustable mandolin, setting 2 for squash and 3 for onion.

Using 1/2 Tbsp butter, butter the dish, leaving excess butter on bottom. Place a layer of yellow squash on bottom, then a layer of zucchini, then lay some onion slices on top, salt and pepper, sprinkle several tablespoons of cracker crumbs, then dot with butter. Repeat until everything is used up. Sometimes I have to slice up a few more squash to finish off a layer. I usually get 5 layers, so eyeball divide by 5. I do usually have to press down after the squash layers to compact once I get toward the top.

Casserole can be made up to 24 hours ahead at this point. Cover with lid and refrigerate.

Preheat oven to 375 F and cook for about 20 minutes covered. Uncover and continue to cook for 15 to 20 minutes more or until knife goes through to bottom easily. If you've made ahead, either allow to warm up before baking or add an extra 10 to 15 minutes.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Picture in the casserole.

20230514_184126.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great - thanks, Karen! How many times do the two of you have it before it's gone?

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Craig loves it so it's already pretty much gone. He took a third to start with and went back for seconds. I like it too so always have a good sized serving myself, about a quarter of it this time.