DO Meatloaf #2

Fe Stomach

I've been wanting to try meatloaf in a DO and with Keltin's encouragement I put one of our recipes to the test. I was going to use Keltin's but by using our old standby I could then compare wall oven to Do using a known quantity. I've posted the recipe here including our glaze, but I actually used Keltin's glaze as I wanted to try it out, and it is good, has a touch more 'bite' than ours and I think I like Keltins better.

And...I wanted to try lining the DO with foil on up about an inch up the sides to save clean-up. That is important to me as I am trying to target recipes suitable for camping. The ingredients can be mixed up in advance and placed in a clean container for transport. I think I'd hold off on mixing the burger and the bread crumbs with the goo until it is ready to go into the oven.

The goo.....

2 eggs
3/4 c milk
1/2 c bread crumbs
2 tlbsp parsley
1/2 teasp salt
1/4 c diced onion
1/2 teasp sage
1/4 cup diced mushrooms...I prefer canned as they are pre-cooked
3-4 lbs ground beef
1 tlbsp A-1

glaze

1/2 c catsup
2 tlbsp brown sugar
1 teasp mustard

Mix the eggs and milk then add the crumbs, sage, parsley, onions, mushrooms, salt, and A-1.
Mix it all up then crank in the ground beef.
Make a ball that won't touch the sides or the lid.
Set the ball, on the trivet, in the foil, into the preheated DO

12" DO 28 briquets 12 bottom, 16 top for 1 1/2 hours, then glaze the loaf and cook an additional 30 min. (2 hrs total)
At Keltins suggestion, I checked the loaf with a meat thermometer to insure it had 170'...it did.:clap:

As you can se in the photos, clean-up was the easiest, one wipe with a paper towel and I was done!!! Perfect!!

The two owls were actually here earlier last month, but didn't come back today....
I tried to call them back...
but no matter how much I hooted.....

Keltin matched it with Mashed spuds, gravy and Peas....sounded good to me so I had new potatoes and peas w/garlic toast.

For some reason, the photo showing the done loaf with the glaze didn't upload....RATS!!!

Scotty

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,003
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,033
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,002
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,019
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 1,033
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 988
  • CIMG0870.jpg
    CIMG0870.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 999
Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That is AWESOME Scotty!

Looks like your foil lining cut down on the clean factor in a big way! Nice! :clap:

Did you use a trivet to keep the meat out of the grease, or just let it lay flat?

Fe Stomach

That is AWESOME Scotty!

Looks like your foil lining cut down on the clean factor in a big way! Nice! :clap:

Did you use a trivet to keep the meat out of the grease, or just let it lay flat?

Thx

I did use a trivet, it is one made by lodge, about 1/4" thick w/three 1/4" bumps for legs, I wish the legs were a tad longer.

I've got a photo of it, but for some reason it won't upload.

Thx
Scotty

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
You're doing exceptionally well Scotty! You've got this! You're doing great! Keep it up and share that joy with all around you! Wonderful! :clap:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Ya know, I'd love to slap a piece of that meatloaf on the garlic toast and cover it with the peas and gravy right now..
Fork and knife goodness!

That's another delicious meal you prepared there, Scotty.
Thanks for the hooter shots too.
LOL