Dirt simple DO Spare Ribs

Fe Stomach

Another home spun meal...like the chicken, the fixin's can be packaged up, hauled out camping, and with very little fuss, a meal made out of it!!
Start the briquets, 25 ea, for 350'
The stuff:
about 3 lbs of boneless ribs...6 to 12 of em, clean off fat and bone chips.
1 bell pepper in about 1/2" square chunks (I used half a green one and half a red one)
1 coke (grandma calls it a "coe-cola")
1 6oz can of tomato paste
1 14 oz (plus or minus) jar of medium salsa
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 cloves minced garlic
1/8 tsp of Tabasco....combined with the medium salsa This makes it burn you lips just a little, I'd leave the tabasco out the first time you make this and add it to the next batch if you like.
1 snack pack of pineapple bits, seperate and SAVE the juice.
1 medium onion diced into large chunks
1 diced up slice of bacon.
pre heat the DO,
While your waiting for the DO to heat up, dump all the goo into a large mixing bowl and stir it .

The goo being, coke, salsa, tabasco, brown sugar, pineapple juice, garlic, and tomato paste.
Scatter the bacon around and when it starts to sizzle place the ribs in one layer on the bacon. After about a minute flip the ribs so that they are browned on both sides (war dept says that may help seal in the juices ):neutral:
Spread the pepper, onion and pineapple evenly over the ribs.
Pour the goo over the top.
With 8 briquets in a ring underneath and 17 briquets in a checker board on the top, cook it for about 1/2 hour, open the lid and with tongs, flip the ribs, making sure they aren't stuck to the bottom, and make sure they are covered with the goo. Total cook time is about 2 hours.
War dept and I critque it:
Just a little spicey on the lips, remedy is Ice cold corona, or skip the tabasco. If you like the flavor of tabasco maybe get mild instead of medium salsa. 2 hrs may be a little long as the ribs broke apart when I lifted them out of the pot. Not bragging, but it tasted damn good.
A person can pre mix the goo and place it into a plastic mayo jar or two to take it camping. Everything should keep for a couple of days except the meat, it needs to be in the cooler.

In the last pic, I went back to clean up the grill and had a visitor watching from a tree top!!! I was in a hurry to get the pic and forgot to turn off the calendar function, obviously I didn't take the pic in the future...LOL

Attachments

• DO spare ribs 001.jpg
    DO spare ribs 001.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,060
  • DO spare ribs 004.jpg
    DO spare ribs 004.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,130
  • DO spare ribs 005.jpg
    DO spare ribs 005.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,086
  • DO spare ribs 006.jpg
    DO spare ribs 006.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,118
  • DO spare ribs 007.jpg
    DO spare ribs 007.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,108
  • DO spare ribs 011.jpg
    DO spare ribs 011.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,114
  • DO spare ribs 013.jpg
    DO spare ribs 013.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,257
  • CIMG0805.jpg
    CIMG0805.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,134
Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Outstanding job!!!!

You did such a wonderful job of restoring that CI DO, and now you are cooking with it like a pro! I’m very impressed!

You’ve got me wanting to break out my own DO for some cooking. We ought to trade recipes or do dual cooks or something. DO cooking is so fun isn’t it?!? :thumb:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Scotty, that is a beautiful meal, very nice pictures.
Love the shot you got of the bald eagle!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
WOW!!!

Great pictures, excellent meal presentation, spectacular view!

Thanks for sharing, Fe!

Lee

Norm

Those look really good. I'd like to try the recipe but with country style ribs. Those are awfully meaty for the kind of spare ribs we get around here.

Fe Stomach

Outstanding job!!!!

You did such a wonderful job of restoring that CI DO, and now you are cooking with it like a pro! I’m very impressed!

You’ve got me wanting to break out my own DO for some cooking. We ought to trade recipes or do dual cooks or something. DO cooking is so fun isn’t it?!? :thumb:

It is fun,

I'm contemplating entering the DO competetion at the state fair this fall.:bbq3:
I have been looking through your recepies and I may borrow one if I decide to enter. It's not a deal of "I'm so good", it's more of "advancing the sport"...LOL
http://www.alaskastatefair.org/site/2011-fair/free-with-admission/last-frontier-dutch-oven-cook-off

I'm getting up the nerve to tackle your "Meat Loaf on a trivet", and I think I'm gonna try a foil bottom under the trivet with about one inch high sides to help prevent the build up on the bottom. Not that it would be bad, I just hate to have to boil water in it so soon after reseasoning.

Yep, Norm, they were very meaty, I picked that package out just because they looked "Plump"...I call food like that Mother-in-Law style...Ha Ha.

And the Eagle was special, thanks for the comments.

My DO table made from an old grill didn't turn out so pretty good, scrap metal man gets it! But I will beg, steal or borrow something... Any good ideas for a safe way to use briquetts on a wood deck??
Or any good ideas for a sure fire "Winner" for me to prepare for the Fair?? I have time to practice many times over before the show!!

Thx Scotty

Last edited:

Norm

There is no perfectly safe way to use a charcoal cooker on a wood deck but I saw a mat at the Home Depot that you put under a grill to make it safer. I'd wet the deck before I started cooking and not leave it unattended for any length of time. If a gust of wind comes up you can get a spark that may start some wood smoldering somewhere on the deck.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome!

These DOs are really “ovens”.

I’ve actually baked biscuits in mine and made some awesome sausage biscuits using it alone.

You can bake breads, desserts, and all the rest of the food as well. There is no limit except your imagination!

Keep at it! It’s fun, it’s family, it’s friends, and it is good food.

Let me know if I can help in any way! :thumb:

It is fun,

I'm contemplating entering the DO competetion at the state fair this fall.:bbq3:
I have been looking through your recepies and I may borrow one if I decide to enter. It's not a deal of "I'm so good", it's more of "advancing the sport"...LOL
http://www.alaskastatefair.org/site/2011-fair/free-with-admission/last-frontier-dutch-oven-cook-off

I'm getting up the nerve to tackle your "Meat Loaf on a trivet", and I think I'm gonna try a foil bottom under the trivet with about one inch high sides to help prevent the build up on the bottom. Not that it would be bad, I just hate to have to boil water in it so soon after reseasoning.

Yep, Norm, they were very meaty, I picked that package out just because they looked "Plump"...I call food like that Mother-in-Law style...Ha Ha.

And the Eagle was special, thanks for the comments.

My DO table made from an old grill didn't turn out so pretty good, scrap metal man gets it! But I will beg, steal or borrow something... Any good ideas for a safe way to use briquetts on a wood deck??
Or any good ideas for a sure fire "Winner" for me to prepare for the Fair?? I have time to practice many times over before the show!!

Thx Scotty

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
There is no perfectly safe way to use a charcoal cooker on a wood deck but I saw a mat at the Home Depot that you put under a grill to make it safer. I'd wet the deck before I started cooking and not leave it unattended for any length of time. If a gust of wind comes up you can get a spark that may start some wood smoldering somewhere on the deck.

I cook on mine on cinder blocks off to the side, so no big deal for me.

DOs require coals under them and on top. On top is no problem as the CI of the vessel handles that.

The coals underneath. I use cinder blocks to mound them on.

But, if you’re worried, 1 sheet of aluminum siding cut to fit your cooking area is all you need. It’s an 8 dollar investment if you are worried.

But really, when using charcoal that stays put once placed, there is no problem.

Norm

I have a Weber that I had on my deck for years with no problem but it was covered. When I moved to this house with an uncovered deck, I got some burn spots on it in the first year and it had the pan under it to catch the embers. I also had the smoker on the deck and it allowed some embers to burn holes in the deck. It never actually caught on fire, just left some pitted charing. Now I have them on concrete pavers in the yard.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
The old ECB smokers had a hole in the center of the fire pan to let in air, but it also let out hot coals. A lot of people burned their decks up because of that. I think Brinkman got sued over it, and they finally took the hole out of the fire pan......which means it's hard as heck to keep the coals lit now without mods.

Norm

I use a three year old CharBroil horizontal smoker. I have not used an ECB type in 20 years.

Norm

I have heard nice things about them. I have a friend who uses one. He competes professionally and just won a first with his ribs

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I will be looking at getting another one in a year or two also. Mine is not built very well and was damaged to boot when a wind storm blew it over. I am thinking about either a big green egg or an Oklahoma Joe offset smoker.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/outdoors/outdoor-living/ok-joe-longhorn-smoker-54083.html

There’s a Green Egg knock-off called the Keg Grill that I’ve contemplated. Supposedly all the features and half the price. You can get a large for under 800 and a large Green Egg is around 1500.

http://www.bigsteelkeg.com/

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/grilling/bubba-keg-review-convection-grill/

Norm

Hmm. Does not look as well insulated. I surmise the thickness is the main advantage in maintaining even heat for long periods.