Dinner, Friday, May 27/2011

mhend

I tried a new recipe I found in Bon Appetit magazine. It's basically a chicken stir fry with ginger, garlic, scallions and soy sauce served in a butter lettuce cup and topped with chopped cashews. It was delicious! DH was skeptical, but he loved it! I added some rice to the cup and topped it with a some sriracha for a little heat.

DSC_0015.jpg

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Nancy.... My Mom used to say.. "It all gets mixed up in your stomach anyway!"...

I've had plenty of "Misfit Meals" happen.
Just the other day...I was proud to make DW a loaf of Home Made Bread...and the botton center stuck to the darn pan....Grrrrrrr!!!

I had a hunk of bread as a taste test...and it was Great!

I'm sure your Salisbury Steak was great tasting.

"Geepers"... Maybe I should start a thread ( "Place for the Misfit Meals" )

Kinda like ( I don't remember the name of the story, but DD loved it )..Land of the "Misfit Toy's".
It was on the TV as a Cartoon Production.
Rudolph the red nosed reindeer

The elf that wanted to be a dentist!!

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I tried a new recipe I found in Bon Appetit magazine. It's basically a chicken stir fry with ginger, garlic, scallions and soy sauce served in a butter lettuce cup and topped with chopped cashews. It was delicious! DH was skeptical, but he loved it! I added some rice to the cup and topped it with a some sriracha for a little heat.

View attachment 11924
That looks beautiful Mary!!

Embryodad

Nancy, I'll be right over to pick up any leftovers. That meal is comfort food at its finest.

I had another day off, so DW was the beneficiary of my afternoon labor of love for dinner. I made fresh fettuccine topped with homemade Alfredo sauce, pan seared chicken breast and broccoli. No room for dessert of a raspberry jello mold with mandarin oranges. We'll use it this weekend when company comes over.

P1030656.jpg

P1030655.jpg
Nice Dinner JoeV

I'll bet your better half (hahaha) Enjoyed it?...

My wife appreciates a meal when I cook it...and she adores when I make it a surprise.
Sometimes it is my surprise... like."Surprise" ..."Look how the Birds and Beasts enjoy your Surprise Meal!" Ug Ug ug Ug Ug Ug ././././././././

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

View attachment 11924

That's beautiful Mary! Wonderful job!!

HAH! A "little" heat my blue bottom!!! That stuff packs a whollop!!! :yum:

But I love it. DW won't touch it though.

Embryodad

For Breakfast... DW made a nice Shakshooka..
Ummmmm! simple, but tasty..fried onions / tomato / eggs ...and a little spices..
She could eat it every day / anytime, and never get sick from that.

075a1518.jpg

I made for GD after school...her favorite. Now Known as "Papa's More Cheese mac & cheese!"
Instead of using elbow shape macaroni...I use shells.
They act as little spoons to hold the cheese melt.

When DW makes it...she makes a cheese sauce first with a little milk and the cheese. When the noodles sit..they get cold. then when the sauce is done..she throws the shells in the hot sauce, and that is where the macaroni is only coated with the cheese on the outside. My Theory Anyway>

I drain the macaroni...add it back to the hot pot...cover the entire with cheese slices to cover completely, and lid it and wait for the cheese to tease the the inside of the shells. ... A couple stir's with a spatula, and it all melts in. I never rinse off the macaroni or add butter or oil. That makes the cheese slide right off.

d42b170c.jpg
:smile:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh Mary, that looks so good! And the picture is terrific. JoeV - your fettucine looks marvelous, and the sweet words for your good wife, even better.

Our dinner was OK, but the new salad recipe was a bit of a disappointment. Neither of us liked it that much...it called for cubed mozzarella, which didn't seem to fit with the rest of the tastes, and the dressing recipe called for 2 TBS of fresh thyme. I only used 1 TBS, mainly because I grew weary of stripping those tiny thyme leaves off the stems! As we were eating it (not very enthusiastically), I mused that it might be better with a different dressing, and Jerry remarked that it might be better as a SOUP. He was absolutely right - all the ingredients for a good corn chowder!! :corny:Oh well, some experiments are better than others....the sausage was very good. In Mexico, Johnsonville smoked sausage is sold with jalapenos and cheese inside. Very good stuff. And the watermelon was pretty good, too. So it wasn't a totally misfit meal, but close. (Now, what am I going to do with the leftover salad? The dogs didn't even care for it, probably because of the corn.)

I tried to load pics, but failed in three attempts...maybe the server here is just too busy. The salad IS pretty, though, so I may try again later.

Embryodad

View attachment 11924
mhend...
Looks great and sounds great!...

Love the idea of serving it up on the lettuce cup / boat.

Heat (spice) is something I have to lace into the meal later, cause I'm the only one who could handle it. DW cannot do spice heat.

But actually..adding it after the fact the food is cooked, has a different effect on the taste. It could be a plus, or a waste to the taste.

I for that reason...have to do a lot of segregated cooking. Soup for her / and soup for me. i.e. Chicken soup with large hunks of vegetables etc. for her with skin on the chicken....

Same soup for me.. No Skin from the chicken, and meat diced small...All veggies cut small...and peppercorns broken and cooked with the soup.

DW throws out her chicken...and vegetables and just eats the broth.

Jimmy Here..eats all that is into the soup spoon....with no Bones or joint knuckles.

K

Kimchee

Today (for lunch), I discovered that CANNED SALMON makes a darn good tuna salad.
Had 3/4 of a can to use so I drained it, removed and ate the backbones. Added some lemon juice, mayo, sweet bell pepper, onion, seasoned salt, garlic powder and celery.
I do believe that TUNA salad might become scarce around here; this was good stuff.

Dinner was homemade Mushroom Provolone Bacon burgers and a salad.
Can of Golden Mushroom soup, 2 teaspoons of Worchestershire sauce, extra sauteed mushrooms, 2 slices of cheese... it was messy, gooey and delicious.

Embryodad

Today (for lunch), I discovered that CANNED SALMON makes a darn good tuna salad.
Had 3/4 of a can to use so I drained it, removed and ate the backbones. Added some lemon juice, mayo, sweet bell pepper, onion, seasoned salt, garlic powder and celery.
I do believe that TUNA salad might become scarce around here; this was good stuff.

Can of Golden Mushroom soup, 2 teaspoons of Worchestershire sauce, extra sauteed mushrooms, 2 slices of cheese... it was messy, gooey and delicious.

Ummmm! The best part of the salmon. DW and I fight for those bones, and the bigger, the better..

I'm a fish kinda Bones / Fins / Tails / and sometimes Scales kinda lover.

DW buys sardines and mackeral..all skinless and boneless.
I don't like canned fish unless it has the bones and fins.

One thing I must say...is I made tuna salad for sandwiches and added a can of makeral to it. It was great, and DW loved it.

Kimchee...your mix for the slamon salad sounds great. Never thought of green bell pepper in tuna or salmon salad. Hmmmm!

mhend

mhend...
Looks great and sounds great!...

Love the idea of serving it up on the lettuce cup / boat.

Heat (spice) is something I have to lace into the meal later, cause I'm the only one who could handle it. DW cannot do spice heat.

But actually..adding it after the fact the food is cooked, has a different effect on the taste. It could be a plus, or a waste to the taste.

I for that reason...have to do a lot of segregated cooking. Soup for her / and soup for me. i.e. Chicken soup with large hunks of vegetables etc. for her with skin on the chicken....

Same soup for me.. No Skin from the chicken, and meat diced small...All veggies cut small...and peppercorns broken and cooked with the soup.

DW throws out her chicken...and vegetables and just eats the broth.

Jimmy Here..eats all that is into the soup spoon....with no Bones or joint knuckles.

Thanks, Jimmy. I have to do alot of that type of cooking too. DH doesn't like onions or tomatoes or crunchy vegetables. I love them. Everything has to be cooked down to nothing. He doesn't complain if I have chunks of onion or tomato in a dish but he'll pick out every little piece. I usually just cook it how he likes it. I'd rather do that than watch him pick through his meal. :lol: I think he appreciates the effort. :)

Embryodad

Thanks, Jimmy. I have to do alot of that type of cooking too. DH doesn't like onions or tomatoes or crunchy vegetables. I love them. Everything has to be cooked down to nothing. He doesn't complain if I have chunks of onion or tomato in a dish but he'll pick out every little piece. I usually just cook it how he likes it. I'd rather do that than watch him pick through his meal. :lol: I think he appreciates the effort. :)
Oh My Goodness... That's so funny! Well really a pain in the butt actually!
My son Jimmy Jr..will sit and pick out every onion and stray piece of whatever out of his soup when we go out to eat. He will eat chicken soup broth and cooked well carrots, but they nust be big and wholesize.

Daughter..will not eat if she even sees a piece of onion or green pepper in a dish.
She strains even the No-Pulp Orange Juice.
They both eat no lettuice or salad of any kind..no tomatoes..no celery ..nuts / beans.
PIA DD eats peas only and PIA son eats corn. Has to be shoepeg in the can.

Son will only eat lverworsht with mustard..no other lunch meats.
Daughter will only eat Turkey on a roll. No condiments or anything but the dry turkey.
They both won't even eat popcorn. Potato chips is it. No dips No crackers of any sorts.

It's very hard to cook for people like that. Well really I mean, it's hard to make an interesting meal for Me or my wife to enjoy, and have to worry about these two fussy kids we had / have. Only if they are coming over to eat we cook carefully so they don't get a boo boo on their lip from an onion touching it.

Nancy-MD

I just may have to try this idea. We do not like salmon but maybe this way we would eat it and get the good health benefits. Great idea!
Your burgers sound wonderful! I love messy, gooey and delicious stuff!
Nancy.... My Mom used to say.. "It all gets mixed up in your stomach anyway!"...

I've had plenty of "Misfit Meals" happen.
Just the other day...I was proud to make DW a loaf of Home Made Bread...and the botton center stuck to the darn pan....Grrrrrrr!!!

I had a hunk of bread as a taste test...and it was Great!

I'm sure your Salisbury Steak was great tasting.

"Geepers"... Maybe I should start a thread ( "Place for the Misfit Meals" )

Kinda like ( I don't remember the name of the story, but DD loved it )..Land of the "Misfit Toy's".
It was on the TV as a Cartoon Production.
And my mother used to say "it all ends up in the same place anyway." LOL Gotta love our moms. I probably tried a few of those sayings on my kids too when they were growing up.

View attachment 11924
Oh that looks so pretty and I'll bet it was delicious!
For Breakfast... DW made a nice Shakshooka..
Ummmmm! simple, but tasty..fried onions / tomato / eggs ...and a little spices..
She could eat it every day / anytime, and never get sick from that.

075a1518.jpg

I made for GD after school...her favorite. Now Known as "Papa's More Cheese mac & cheese!"
Instead of using elbow shape macaroni...I use shells.
They act as little spoons to hold the cheese melt.

When DW makes it...she makes a cheese sauce first with a little milk and the cheese. When the noodles sit..they get cold. then when the sauce is done..she throws the shells in the hot sauce, and that is where the macaroni is only coated with the cheese on the outside. My Theory Anyway>

I drain the macaroni...add it back to the hot pot...cover the entire with cheese slices to cover completely, and lid it and wait for the cheese to tease the the inside of the shells. ... A couple stir's with a spatula, and it all melts in. I never rinse off the macaroni or add butter or oil. That makes the cheese slide right off.

d42b170c.jpg
:smile:
Everything looks really good Jimmy. I will sometimes make mac and cheese your way, too. Nothing but pasta and cheese and a splash of milk.
Oh Mary, that looks so good! And the picture is terrific. JoeV - your fettucine looks marvelous, and the sweet words for your good wife, even better.

Our dinner was OK, but the new salad recipe was a bit of a disappointment. Neither of us liked it that much...it called for cubed mozzarella, which didn't seem to fit with the rest of the tastes, and the dressing recipe called for 2 TBS of fresh thyme. I only used 1 TBS, mainly because I grew weary of stripping those tiny thyme leaves off the stems! As we were eating it (not very enthusiastically), I mused that it might be better with a different dressing, and Jerry remarked that it might be better as a SOUP. He was absolutely right - all the ingredients for a good corn chowder!! :corny:Oh well, some experiments are better than others....the sausage was very good. In Mexico, Johnsonville smoked sausage is sold with jalapenos and cheese inside. Very good stuff. And the watermelon was pretty good, too. So it wasn't a totally misfit meal, but close. (Now, what am I going to do with the leftover salad? The dogs didn't even care for it, probably because of the corn.)

I tried to load pics, but failed in three attempts...maybe the server here is just too busy. The salad IS pretty, though, so I may try again later.
That's too bad about the new recipe, Karen. You win some and you lose some. But it just might make a great soup!
I have a husband just like this.
Oh My Goodness... That's so funny! Well really a pain in the butt actually!
My son Jimmy Jr..will sit and pick out every onion and stray piece of whatever out of his soup when we go out to eat. He will eat chicken soup broth and cooked well carrots, but they nust be big and wholesize.

Daughter..will not eat if she even sees a piece of onion or green pepper in a dish.
She strains even the No-Pulp Orange Juice.
They both eat no lettuice or salad of any kind..no tomatoes..no celery ..nuts / beans.
PIA DD eats peas only and PIA son eats corn. Has to be shoepeg in the can.

Son will only eat lverworsht with mustard..no other lunch meats.
Daughter will only eat Turkey on a roll. No condiments or anything but the dry turkey.
They both won't even eat popcorn. Potato chips is it. No dips No crackers of any sorts.

It's very hard to cook for people like that. Well really I mean, it's hard to make an interesting meal for Me or my wife to enjoy, and have to worry about these two fussy kids we had / have. Only if they are coming over to eat we cook carefully so they don't get a boo boo on their lip from an onion touching it.
Your kids are way pickier than mine, and I thought mine were bad.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my friends gave me chix-wingz. a few kinds, & they were delicious!!!!!