Cymbalta

Meme4251

TG, yes, I was prescribed this last year about this time after a big corporate layoff of my company which I had been employed over a decade. Just devestated me as I had only worked for 2 other company's in my lifetime. I was physically, emotionally, and eventually financially unable to function on a day to day routine. Cymbalta was a miracle drug for me as it started working w/in a few days to the first week and began to get myself back to reality...I was put on the lowest dose possible due to I cannot take alot of meds. After about a month, I noticed that it didn't seem to be working as well, so my doc increased the dosage and I stayed on it for a couple of more months and it did wonders. I eventually decided on my own that I no longer needed it and discontinued it but, if I do go thru that again, would not hesitate to start again on it. Keep me posted dear...Have a good one...Meme/sh;)

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Did you have any side effects? She put me on the lowest too, 30mg to start. Thankfully, she gave me 5 weeks of samples so I'm not buying them yet. I have insurance, but, don't want to spend out of pocket if I can't take them for some reason.

Meme4251

No, I did not have any side effects at all but, do know others that have taken it and could not tolerate it at all....I really think it depends in the individual as I have known many that take different meds for this and they all affect each one differently. Some have to try several to get one to actually work. I am sure, which is very good as to why you were given samples also to try to see if that will work for you instead of spending the expense of the script which none of this type of med is cheap. Some have the generic but alot of the newer ones out, do not. I know what you mean about even though w/ins. you still have your co-pay to meet each year and that doesn't come cheap either in most cases. Mine is $600 but my son is on my his dad's work policy and theirs like $2,500 co-pay....Damn, that's a chunck even though now days it does not take long w/scripts and doc visits....

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I found a site that people have written their side effects and feelings about it and it's really scary!!! I just hope that if I have any, they are not as horrible as these people!! Guess I'll find out soon. Just took my first dose. Keep your fingers crossed.

Meme4251

I wish you well and do let me know how you do please. Hopefully this helps you out a whole lot and you never know, once your body and mind gets back in sinc..you can get off of them and it will not be a long term thing like myself. My DIL though has been and prob will be on hers on a long term basis and if that what it takes, so be it. She is a different person on her meds and know it herself. You'd never know she was on anything at all and just loves life everyday whether she gets lemons or limes!!! LOL....Have a Wonderful week and will be thinking of you....:respect:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Isn't this place great??? Y'all are the first people I check with when I have questions about something.

Stacy, I don't have any experience with Cymbalta, but my mom has been on the same anti-depressant for many years and the docs were mentioning last time that maybe she should switch to one of the newer ones like Cymbalta. They said that the chemistry is so much better now. The newer drugs can make the difference between just not feeling so depressed you can't get up to actually looking forward to getting up.

I know you're nervous about side effects but the benefits could change your life. Tears came to my eyes after reading what Meme wrote. I hope you have the same experience, girlfriend, because you deserve it.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I was on Cymbalta for a long time. Two things I noticed about it: If you are taking a lot of other meds, it will not work very well. Second, do not, and I mean DO NOT, stop taking it suddenly if you are on a higher dose. Unless you like the ER.
I switched to Effexor XL and am having much better results, but these kinds of meds are very different from person to person. You're best bet is to work with you Dr. and keep him or her updated regularly on how you feel and what side effects may be occurring. Also bear in mind that drug companies are required now to post any and all side effects a drug may cause, even if it is just one in a thousand.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
OMG, Mav makes a great point. I know you are on heart meds, too, Stacy, so your doc is probably keeping this in mind when prescribing. The most important thing is to stick with the fine-tuning. Your dosage may need to be adjusted or like Mav, you may even need to try a different med. Just don't give up! Life can be better.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Well, it's been almost 3 hours and the only thing going on so far is I'm bouncing off the walls, LMAO!! I can definitely get use to this one!! Dr did stress not stopping it, thank you Mav. It helps when someone that has taken it to come in and answer!!

When starting any new medication, always tell your doc what other meds you are on & any allergies/allergic reactions. I read the contraindications (side effects) that the Pharmacy provides. Doesn't mean you will have any of same. Best advice is talk to your doc if you are experiencing any bad side effects. Those kinds of meds are usually started in low doses and gradually built up. Try not to stop the meds immediately. These really are questions you should ask your doc. I sometimes go to websites to look up the med & side effects. They will scare you. It is always best to discuss with your doc. I have a bad reaction to those types of meds. My system cannot tolerate even the lowest of dosages. Everyone is different. And, the side effects, if any, may or may not occur when you reach about 200 mg. Can't predict how your system will react or not react.

Last edited:

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Thank you CC. Doc knows all my meds and she is certain there won't be any reactions. She started me on the low {30mg} and had me make an appt in 3 weeks or sooner if I feel I need to. She was very adamant on me calling her for ANYTHING, even if it's just to talk and make sure that I don't have any thoughts of suicide. She grilled me yesterday on questions to see if I had any thoughts and I don't, so to speak. Didn't have any suicidal thoughts, although I did not care if I died or thought things would be better if I was. but, I don't have thoughts of suicide.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Thank you CC. Doc knows all my meds and she is certain there won't be any reactions. She started me on the low {30mg} and had me make an appt in 3 weeks or sooner if I feel I need to. She was very adamant on me calling her for ANYTHING, even if it's just to talk and make sure that I don't have any thoughts of suicide. She grilled me yesterday on questions to see if I had any thoughts and I don't, so to speak. Didn't have any suicidal thoughts, although I did not care if I died or thought things would be better if I was. but, I don't have thoughts of suicide.

Meds do not work alone. Some things that help:
Exercise
Sunlight
Vitamins B6, B12, and fish oil
Get the heck out of the house on a regular basis
Support groups (look up NAMI for starters)

If you have the insurance for it, check out the local hospital and see if they have an outpatient program. Ours ran from 9am to noon Monday thru Friday and was a big help.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I don't think exercise is going to be a problem anymore if this stuff keeps doing this to me, lol. I love being outdoors, just lost touch with that, but, that is all about to change.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Mav, I was just thinking about this the other day. My mom's lung disease has progressed to the final stages. She is unable to get out of the house much at all. I'm talking whole weeks where she never leaves the house. Exercise is out of the question anymore. It's starting to really get to her. I was thinking about installing those full-spectrum light bulbs in her house. Do you know if they are helpful? Have you tried them?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I haven't tried them myself, but if they give off the full spectrum I would give it a try to see if it helps. Also keep all the curtains open to get as much sunlight into the house as is possible.
Is there anyone with her that could wheel her out to a patio to spend some time in the sun at all?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Mav. Mobility is not the problem (although she can only walk a few feet without becoming severely short of breath) - it's the terrible air quality in Houston. She has severe asthma along with the COPD. Usually she can get out a little bit, even for a few minutes, but things have gotten worse. She does stay downstairs most of the day and there are no curtains so it is bright most of the time. That's why I was wondering if the bulbs would help much.

Meme4251

Your more than welcome Stacy....I totally agree w/what Mav and FM has said in their posts above. Keep your doc informed and please by no means just stop taking these w/out your docs permission if you have been on for atleast more than a week...especially since you are on other meds which I was not aware of. Fingers crossed g/f...........:smile:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Mav. Mobility is not the problem (although she can only walk a few feet without becoming severely short of breath) - it's the terrible air quality in Houston. She has severe asthma along with the COPD. Usually she can get out a little bit, even for a few minutes, but things have gotten worse. She does stay downstairs most of the day and there are no curtains so it is bright most of the time. That's why I was wondering if the bulbs would help much.

If she is getting plenty of light downstairs then I don't think the bulbs would make much of a difference. The only other thing I can think of is what we did for my aunt who had lung cancer. We set up a spot for her in front of a big bay window with lots of sunlight. Then outside of it we planted a flower garden and put up bird feeders and a bird bath. This gave her something enjoyable to watch as she sat in front of the window.
Not sure that would work so well in Houston though.
Maybe someone else can chime in with ideas...

Meme4251

Sorry FM to hear your mom isn't doing very well. That COPD is what my mother and myself are battling on a daily basis where my mom's is much worse because of her age. Unfortunately, there is not much there can be done in this day and time for this type of lung disease. I know mine will progressively get worse also as I also just lost an aunt due to the same thing a month ago and another aunt w/the same thing a year ago. Wishing your mom my best wishes Terry....Keep us informed on her also...Bless you, Meme/sh:flowers:

K

Kimchee

Just remember.......
If you are taking them for a "short term", acute event or reason... Docs often don't think much of STOPPING these type of drugs.
And if the stressors and situations have changed in your life after a while, you might not need them anymore.
So be sure to monitor these things yourself, and don't be scared to ask the doc -and ALWAYS do this under supervision -- to wean you off of them.
:)

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Thank you Kimchee. Thankfully, I have a good dr that cares about people, first time I have really found one. I won't be afraid to say anything though, if I think that I'm better.