COVID-19

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
There is a sense of relief that can be felt.
Certainly not the hellish situation like 2 weeks ago.

It’s good you ‘re able to say that.

Jim

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Update.
As of August 24th we have lost 18 of our residents to SARS-CoV2 or complications of.
Things seem to be slowing way down, thank God.
Right now we have 7 active cases, all are asymptomatic.

Two are more than likely not going to make it.
They are back with us from university hospital and on hospice after a very long battle.

We are continuing testing now for staff every Monday Wednesday and Friday until we get no more positives.
After 7 times testing, I've been negative.
This includes the rapid return test that involves swabbing and solution droplets- which takes 15 minutes for a result.

There is a sense of relief that can be felt.
Certainly not the hellish situation like 2 weeks ago.

I'm glad things are finally looking up for you and the others. The "asymptomatic" thing is pretty crazy. At least when people have the flu, they know it very quickly.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
This is Texas specific. I just watched a Gov Abbott talk about covid in Texas. It's pretty bad here. He said there's a new antibody drug that helps people with early stage covid, Eli Lilly? (not sure that's spelled right). I think he said it's the same treatment that Trump was given when he contracted covid. It's given in a drip and takes about an hour, something like you would expect in an iv type drip in the hospital.

It's already been delivered to some parts of Texas. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. I know Florida and California have been hit hard too. I hope they have some too.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Be safe, Cooksie.
We're back in the red again.
Tonight there is a state wide "you better not be out kids" 10pm curfew order from Governor DeWine.
It's to last three weeks.
The rules aren't new.
It's basically the same thing we've been doing!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I watched Dr. Ed once again, and he addressed disposable masks. He said that you don't have to throw away a disposable mask every time you wear it. He recommended that you rotate your masks every day and not wear the same one two days in a row. He said to get at least three or four, or even seven and just rotate. Earlier he talked about storing your used disposable masks in a brown paper bag, like a brown paper lunch bag. That's what I've been doing.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I watched Dr. Ed once again, and he addressed disposable masks. He said that you don't have to throw away a disposable mask every time you wear it. He recommended that you rotate your masks every day and not wear the same one two days in a row. He said to get at least three or four, or even seven and just rotate. Earlier he talked about storing your used disposable masks in a brown paper bag, like a brown paper lunch bag. That's what I've been doing.
That's what we've been doing with our N95 masks (rotating 3) but now we're back to wearing disposable surgical masks over those.. as well as gowning up and gloving since we are accepting new admissions again now who are automatically placed in quarantine for 2 weeks.
Argh!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Here we go again.
?
Looks like the monster is back in our facility.
2 so far have tested positive although they are asymptomatic.
We have the unit set up.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Telling my guardian angel to help yours watch over you, Sass!

Lee
Thank you, Lee.
Honest to God I cannot believe we are facing this again.
I had to attend an emergency meeting when they gave us the heads up today.
We knew the county was red again, but we've been clear up until today.
I did the rapid return that came back negative and will do it again on Wednesday.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Watched another Dr. Ed segment again today. He's very pro-vaccine. He said that they've already received the vaccine kits in Dallas and are just waiting on the actual vaccine to be delivered when the final FDA approval goes through. I think we should know their decision by the end of the day or at least by tomorrow.

He addressed the 2 reactions from the people in the UK (I thought it was 3). He said that the risk of an adverse reaction was very minimal. He gave some percentages, but I don't remember exactly what he said. From what I've read, the people who had bad reactions already knew that they were highly allergic to certain things and were carrying an epi-pen.

News said this morning that there's a death in the US every 3 seconds. I don't like to be a Debby Downer, but we need something quickly.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Cooksie, I'm pro vax too.
I'll be getting mine as soon as we're told they are available.
Some of my coworkers are scared senseless and don't want the vaccine.
I can understand that too.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Cooksie, I'm pro vax too.
I'll be getting mine as soon as we're told they are available.
Some of my coworkers are scared senseless and don't want the vaccine.
I can understand that too.
It's a live vaccine right?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'm pretty sure it's inactivated.

I'll let you know as I know more Peeps.
There's a lot of info floating around out there, so....
That said, my good friend Annette was just informed a while ago told that her lab test came back positive.
We were tested rapid return on Monday, then lab sent on Wednesday.
I must be ok as I haven't heard anything.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
The components.

FB_IMG_1607768655314.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Read through this carefully, Peeps.

Really, really good information :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
That addressed you question, Peeps. It also addressed the question of whether or not pregnant women should be vaccinated right now.

I haven't looked at anything this morning on whether the final FDA approval went through or not. I'm going to give myself a break from the news until Monday.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Read through this carefully, Peeps.

Great article.

The vaccines can be taken by people with weakened immunity like HIV patients or other immunosuppressed conditions.

That's what I've been looking for. I am ready to get the vaccine as soon as I can. This has been a rough year.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
First shipments of vaccines are on the way. Federal Marshalls are accompanying all the shipments. I was wondering how security would be handled because there is always some shady character waiting in the wings to steal stuff and sell it on the black market. According to the local news, enough vaccines will have been delivered and administered by March to greatly reduce the spread of covid :applause:.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
After that, you are probably right up there at the top of the list :thumbup:.
To be a guinea pig for the rest of you. Lol
I think the general public vaccines aside from healthcare workers will begin in the spring.
I'm not sure yet if ours are coming from Pfizer or Moderna.
You all might be lucky enough to receive the single jab once Johnson & Johnson get their act together.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
To be a guinea pig for the rest of you. Lol
I think the general public vaccines aside from healthcare workers will begin in the spring.
I'm not sure yet if ours are coming from Pfizer or Moderna.
You all might be lucky enough to receive the single jab once Johnson & Johnson get their act together.
I don't want you to be guinea pig. You kind of sound like you're feeling some stress about the vaccine. I totally understand.

If the majority of all the doctors and nurses in the hospitals are taking it, they must feel pretty good about it.
I don't know anything about the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, but I would much rather have one jab than two. I get all beside myself with just the flu shot.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know anything about the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, but I would much rather have one jab than two. I get all beside myself with just the flu shot.