Cost of a lobster Dinner?

Dogboa

Here in Florida, Wednesday at midnight until Yesterday at midnight the sportsman's spiny lobster season took place. It is aka "mini season". Not sure how many lobster were taken, but at last count, 3 divers died. I used to drive a 24 passenger dive boat and always hated those 2 days. Very sad.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here in Florida, Wednesday at midnight until Yesterday at midnight the sportsman's spiny lobster season took place. It is aka "mini season". Not sure how many lobster were taken, but at last count, 3 divers died. I used to drive a 24 passenger dive boat and always hated those 2 days. Very sad.

Why did you hate those two days? Is it common for divers to die in these events?
Reading Sass's link it says the lobsters have to be measured and brought to shore alive and unharmed. How do the divers catch them? A net or what?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Craig, I have the same questions as Doc's. Is this event typically dangerous?

Lee

Dogboa

Lobster are taken by a couple methods. Some folks use a "tickle stick" to chase them out of their holes and either grab them by hand or use a net. My preferred method is using a tail snare. The lobster must be measured in the water and transported in a whole condition until you reach your final destination. The "mini season" is to allow sportsmen to catch them before commercial interests can set their traps. Regular season opens August 6th and closes March 31st of the following year. I hated it because of the stupid things people do, both divers and boaters. If a scuba diver hasn't been in the water for long time, they can forget their training. Add to that the task loading of carrying additional equipment for catching lobster. To my knowledge, you do not have to have any required training to purchase or operate a boat in Florida. Those that require a license are only commercial operators that carry passengers.

I believe that one of the divers was killed by a boat propeller. Not sure whether they were using scuba or free-diving.