Cooking for One or Two

I cook for one, as well. If I make too much (like a roast), I'll have it two nights in a row, turn it into something else (like sandwiches) or freeze in zip lock bags.

I used to buy & keep a big bag of chicken breasts in the freezer. Then I can pull out what I need.

There are some things I like to keep around, like a big bag of Ling Ling's potstickers. Again, I pull out what I want.

I discovered shrimp potsticker & noodle soup in the refrigerated section that I like. Each potsticker is filled with a whole shrimp.

06092009340a.jpg

I buy 5 lb bags of potatoes, & they still go off.

Frozen veggies, brussels sprouts, broccoli, etc. are great in a pinch.

Attachments

• CP-0001-2T.jpg
    CP-0001-2T.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 157

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i shamelessly take only 1 or 2 bananas, open a bag of grapes & takes a 'lil amount, remove most tomato from its vine & get 2 instead of like 7, take the stems from the caps from 'shrooms that i cannot use & toss them, go to the butcher & request 1 single steak or 1 pc. of chix, buy individual servings of novelties from the freezer section, get a quarter pound of some deli meats/cheeses 'stead of a pound, get bulk spices & that. oh, i'm ruthless w/ my shopping adventures, lemme tell 'ya.

Carolina Cooking

CC
I had the same problem with 5lb bag of potato's. Plus I like yukons & red ones. Russet or Idaho for stuffed or baked.I can buy bulk loose but the bagged are always cheaper & some time on sale.
I am 'supposed' to be watching my carb intake :cry: with that many to use up I don't.

I had all these green & spouted ones looking pretty sad & just got fed up throwing out potato's. I went online. hehe who knew. lol

I had them piled in a basket on my counter under my lamp. All wrong..
Store them in a cool dark place, laying single with paper under them or around them to keep them dry. Away from light.

Now it works for me. I can have a 5lb bag last 2 or more weeks.

Oh & the green skin Is Poison :yuk:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>Oh & the green skin Is Poison

well, not quite (g) the green is actually chlorophyll - but it is an indicator that solanine is developing.

in qty solanine is a "poison" - somewhere I saw you will need to eat about 15 pounds of green spud _peels_ (not potatoes....) to be in any danger.

that said, some people are more sensitive to solanine than others - and it is bitter, so yeah, I peel off the green, too.

Carolina Cooking

Good questions Carolina. No we do not have a targeted area for those kind of posts. I had not considered it. Is this something other cooking forums normally have? Would you guys have enough posts for a forum dedicated to cooking for one or two, or cooking small to keep it busy? I always thought you just cut back on the recipe proportions to make a smaller amount. I guess it shows that I am not the cook in my house. I do eat a lot though. :D

well I have only been a member of one other forum & we all know where that went :drama: No it wasn't part of that forum, in fact they won't even do a healthy, diet or low calorie one . Mods said it wasn't all that much trouble to do a search :bonk:So No to it.
Another reason I moved on.. Closed minds..

I think & clearly my opinion. That a thread or place to come to for tips & even recipes for One cooking/ single/ or Two cooking would be good for folks. I know 'cookbooks' for that are rampant, I have plenty of them.

My other issue is I am also Type 2 D. Dx a while ago. Cookbooks for that diet is making & serving size 4 to 6 serving. I am always doing the stupid math. Measuring bla bla. Portion control for me is out the window .

I for one would like to network with other folks that have the same issues.
Frugel, low cal, light sugar, low carbs, low fat. Single servings lol thats a lot to ask for. Oh & all in one place :yum:

Norm

Thank you but I meant after that. Have you used it? (we are talking about a kitchen knife folks)

Carolina Cooking

Thank you but I meant after that. Have you used it? (we are talking about a kitchen knife folks)

you say thank you to all the gals who say they love you :laugh::laugh:

and yes I love the knife too. It is so perfect for me . Has a nice feel to it, its heavy but just right. The grip/handle is just the right size. Has that bit of round on the tip. The blade is thicker than some of my old ones too. All in all its my fav..
I am no expert when it comes to knives & I most likely don't even cut with them like I should but I do know a good feel to one that I do like. It feels solid.

I am so happy you couldn't use it for whatever reason lol It has a forever home. ;)

Norm

It was fated to become yours. I love you too. And the Tourist said the rounded tip was not right and it was an overall bad design. LOL What a maroon, as Bugs Bunny would say. it's a Sabatier.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
It was fated to become yours. I love you too. And the Tourist said the rounded tip was not right and it was an overall bad design. LOL What a maroon, as Bugs Bunny would say. it's a Sabatier.
An ultra maroon even!! LOL

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
that solanine, yeah, poisonous, if 'ya ingest, ohhhhh, the vast majority of the packets of chips from the vending machine.it is bitter, as chowderman said, though. i trim it from fresh potato, if not being too lazy.

Carolina Cooking

Have you ever laughed so hard you spit out your drink. :drink2:

I have . I was out to dinner in this very posh restaurant with my 2 kids. Reading the menu my son 14 yr old at the time , says 'Mom they marrons on the menu'

:lol::lol::lol::lol: