Cats saved my life!

bullseye

I'm not going to be too melodramatic about this, but my Mom's cat and, in different way, one of my own, saved my life last night. I was doing a pot roast, actually half of one because I was cooking for just me, and I felt it was cooking too quickly. I turned down the temp on my 1920s gas oven to the min, stuck the braiser back in the oven, and went back to the couch and the TV with the timer set on one hour. I fell asleep. For whatever reason—oven door closed too fast, spilled liquid, I don't know—the flame went out. I woke up to my Mom's visiting cat, Freddie, batting my face and my own cat, Blurr, trying to stuff her face under my feet. I smelled the gas, but was groggy. Thankfully, I remembered not to touch anything electric. I opened all the windows and doors--all cats immediately went with noses to the outdoors--swept the propane out, and wound up with nothing worse than a crashing headache. (Where's the headache smiley?) The headache continues, but now it's more from me beating myself over the head. My mother, though very concerned at the time, is getting lots of mileage in Hawaii (that's why her cats are here) about how smart her Freddie is!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Whew, bullseye that sounds so scary! I am so glad that all you have is a headache!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Holy mackerel, bullseye! What a GREAT story, with a really happy ending!!

Geez, I'd be hugging and kissing those cats' paws, all 8 of them, if I were you!

I wonder if the cats had headaches.

That is so cool, bullseye!

Lee

bullseye

Holy mackerel, bullseye! What a GREAT story, with a really happy ending!!

Geez, I'd be hugging and kissing those cats' paws, all 8 of them, if I were you!

I wonder if the cats had headaches.

That is so cool, bullseye!

Lee

No worries there, I'm patting their silly ears off. (There seems not to be a patting silly ears off smiley, either!) As for the cat headaches, I hope not, but if I go by my experience, probably so. I feel worse for them than for me.

Deelady

I always knew they were good for more than just having a pet to play with!! Cats are smart cookies!! TG you are safe and well!!! Those cats deserve a nice can of tuna for each of them!!! :D

bullseye

I always knew they were good for more than just having a pet to play with!! Cats are smart cookies!! TG you are safe and well!!! Those cats deserve a nice can of tuna for each of them!!! :D

You're absolutely right, Deelady! I've given them T's (I don't dare use the "treat" word, even on line--they'll mob me!) all day.

Calicolady

Scary story!
icon_banghead.gif
Glad all is well now.
I usually fall asleep after I eat.
206.gif
LOL!

Was dinner trashed too?

bullseye

Scary story!
icon_banghead.gif
Glad all is well now.
I usually fall asleep after I eat.
206.gif
LOL!

Was dinner trashed too?

As a true foodie, I finished the pot roast after ventilating the house. It was not the best, but I'm eating the leftovers tonight and they seem not so bad.

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
HOLY CRAP!!!!!! :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

They probably DID save you life man!!! Thank God for those cats!!!!! Now get a new oven! :eek::ermm:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Cats and dogs both will often warn people of dangers. You are lucky though as it can really be a life threating situation.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Those are some valuable cats, bullseye! They really did save you! I know my cats will come and wake me if one of the other cats is accidentally locked in the basement, but I'm not sure they would try to save my life.

bullseye

HOLY CRAP!!!!!! :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

They probably DID save you life man!!! Thank God for those cats!!!!! Now get a new oven! :eek::ermm:

The new oven is probably not an option--my kitchen is quite old, and the oven is a size that seems not to be made anymore. I could deal with buying a new stove, though I like and am used to the way this one cooks, but I'm not ready for a complete kitchen remodel. I have, though, been shopping for propane detectors. They are not too expensive and I think may bring a little bit more in the way of safeguards than I have now (cats!). Thanks for your concern, Sush! And you're right; thank God for those cats! :agree:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Wow! Somehow I missed this thread! What a great story....I hope you took them to the pet store and bought them whatever they wanted!

bullseye

Wow! Somehow I missed this thread! What a great story....I hope you took them to the pet store and bought them whatever they wanted!

No worries, Mama. The spoiled little monsters have been especially spoiled ever since.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Wow that was close! Glad it turned out OK, and good thing the cats were there! That is why I love my dogs... won't let anything get past them!