2 Tbls. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp Tabasco
1/2 tsp liquid smoke seasoning

2 lbs lean beef brisket, eye−of−round or flank steak,
trimmed completely of fat and cut across grain into
slices 1/4 inch thick.

To aid in slicing meat thinly, freeze the meat slightly
until ice crystals are formed.

Blend all ingredients except meat in small bowl. Dip each piece of meat into marinade, coating well. Place in shallow dish.

Pour remaining marinade over top, cover and refrigerate
overnight.

Oven method:
Preheat oven to lowest setting (about 130F).
Place several layers of paper towels on baking sheets. Arrange meat in single layer on prepared sheets and cover with additional toweling. Flatten meat with rolling pin. Discard
towels and set meat directly on oven racks, with foil below
to catch any drips.

Let dry 8 to 12 hours (depending on temperature of oven).

Dehydrator method:
Arrange meat on trays in single layer and dehydrate 10 to 12 hours, depending on thickness.

Store jerky in plastic bags or in tightly covered containers in
cool, dry area.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I bought a dehydrator for my son, who loves jerky. Tonight, he's starting his first batch of beef jerky using this recipe, Bams. Thanks for posting it and I'll let you know how it turns out.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
i know there is a way to do this in a microwave. do you know how?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i know there is a way to do this in a microwave. do you know how?

never heard of that...microwaves cook from the inside out... making jerky you are drying the meat and taking all moisture out rather than cooking it,as does a microwave...

i have been wrong before and i could be wrong here..lol

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
never heard of that...microwaves cook from the inside out... making jerky you are drying the meat and taking all moisture out rather than cooking it,as does a microwave...

i have been wrong before and i could be wrong here..lol
the first microwave i had which was in 1985 had a setting for dehydrating like power level 2 or something like that. i will need to check the manuel from this new one. BTW that micro from 1985 just died last year.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
but i still think in a microwave that you are not going to get the quality you desire...

i have done it many times in the oven...i line the bottom of the stove with layers of tin foil...set my oven to the desired temp...leave the door cracked on the oven....let it dry until its done

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My big oven only goes as low as 170, but my Delonghi toaster oven has a dehydrator setting and I bought the racks for it.

That's a great way to use the crummy eye of round cut of beef!

Good winter project! Thanks for bringing that thread back up, Terry!

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
My big oven only goes as low as 170, but my Delonghi toaster oven has a dehydrator setting and I bought the racks for it.

That's a great way to use the crummy eye of round cut of beef!

Good winter project! Thanks for bringing that thread back up, Terry!

Lee
helllo lee. not to start anything but i love eye round roast. i would never make jerky out of it. it's the only cut i use for a roast beef dinner.

eyeround-1.jpg

eyeround-2.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL! Sorry, peep! I didn't mean to offend!

Yours looks GREAT!

Lee

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I bought a dehydrator for my son, who loves jerky. Tonight, he's starting his first batch of beef jerky using this recipe, Bams. Thanks for posting it and I'll let you know how it turns out.

You're going to love dehydrator jerky. Fran and I have been making it that way for three decades. Recently I've begun putzing with my new smoker though....

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
You're going to love dehydrator jerky. Fran and I have been making it that way for three decades. Recently I've begun putzing with my new smoker though....
What cuts of beef do you like best for making jerky, Buzz? I will probably use eye of round, too, because it's very inexpensive here and also because I have a hard time roasting it - it always come out dry.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Eye of round is what we usually buy. Bam's recipe is very close to the one Fran uses although we've never added MSG. I do like the idea of slightly freezing the meat for easier cutting and I'm going to try that soon, REAL soon, because I'm smoking two Boston butts tomorrow (takes about twelve hours) so I might as well do some jerky while I'm at it. :)

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I didn't use the MSG, either, Buzz. I don't have any because my husband is convinced he is allergic to it. (Maybe he is - I have read all sorts of conflicting reports on MSG allergies. LOL)

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Thread bump! I ordered some meat sliced for beef jerky. I'll be making it this weekend!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What cut did you buy, Rob?

You WILL post pictures, right?????

Lee

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I'm pretty sure it was top round. I just asked for jerky meat. It's fattier than I expected, but that's fine because I usually keep it in the fridge, and it never lasts long around here.

They are nice big slices, about 10" x 6" x 1/8" thick. It's already marinating, but I'll definitely post some pics tomorrow.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Houston, we have jerky! :punk: Great recipe Bam! I might dial back the black pepper a little next time for DW and the kids.

nc011421.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made Bam's recipe, but added a little dried garlic. The jerky is good, but I'd cut back on the black pepper next time.

I bought a package of five beautiful slices of top round sliced 1/4" thick (for braciole). Marinaded strips overnight, dehydrated in my Breville convection toaster oven for 4 1/2 hours at 140 degrees. Perfect!

It will be great with a nice, cold beer!

Lee

Beef.jpeg

Beef jerky.jpeg

Beef jerky close.jpeg

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I made Bam's recipe, but added a little dried garlic. The jerky is good, but I'd cut back on the black pepper next time.

I bought a package of five beautiful slices of top round sliced 1/4" thick (for braciole). Marinaded strips overnight, dehydrated in my Breville convection toaster oven for 4 1/2 hours at 140 degrees. Perfect!

It will be great with a nice, cold beer!

Lee

View attachment 63729

View attachment 63730

View attachment 63731
Wow! That’s awesome! I should try that with my Breville!