Baked Egg in Avocado

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You can find this recipe all over the internet, but I just learned of it last week when Dylan told me about it.

This morning was my first attempt.

Preheated my convection "toaster oven" to 375.

Took a perfectly ripe Haas avocado, cut it in half, scooped out a little more around the hole. Seasoned with s & p.

Made a little aluminum foil tray for the half avocado to sit in.

Broke a large egg in there, and lost most of the white down the sink, since the hole was not large enough and the egg white just slid off. Also, the avocado leaned a bit to one side.

Notes to self: Next time, try a large California avocado. And cut a little slice off the bottom, so avocado will sit straight.

Seasoned egg with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Baked for 10 minutes. Perfectly done! (remember, I have a small convection oven, so regular ovens may require 15 minutes).

I really liked the texture and I was very surprised that the combination of flavors worked so well together! Delicious! :a1:

This is an excellent breakfast dish for people on some special diets! ( I would have loved a piece of toast to go with this, but I'm trying to stay away from bread for awhile).

Will try the other half of my avocado tomorrow!

Lee

Attachments

• Baked egg in avocado 1.JPG
    Baked egg in avocado 1.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 150
  • Baked egg in avocado 2.JPG
    Baked egg in avocado 2.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 157

Leni

Neat! I wonder if a little bit of finely chopped onion in the bottom would improve the flavor. My husband and I frequently have sliced avacado with breakfast.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Neat! I wonder if a little bit of finely chopped onion in the bottom would improve the flavor. My husband and I frequently have sliced avacado with breakfast.

Mmmm, Leni! Green onion, perhaps?

Lee

Leni

What about salsa with sour cream on top and maybe a little chopped cilantro. By the way, the Inca's called the avacado tree the Testicle Tree. Then lets top it off with some shredded cheese.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Second attempt.

This time, I put in minced green onion first, and a little on top. And chopped ham on top. Definitely better!

I got more egg in it this time, so it did take the whole 15 minutes.

As you guys have suggested, the toppings could be anything!

Lee

Attachments

• Baked egg in avocado 3.JPG
    Baked egg in avocado 3.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 131

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Looks tasty! I'm surprised the avocado stays so green. I would think the heat would make it brown.