Apple crisp (Joec..is this what you're looking for)

lilylove

3 pounds tart apples
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/3 cup granulated sugar
* 1/3 cup rolled oats
* 4 tablespoons cold butter (1/2 stick)
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Peel, and slice or chop up your apples.
Put them in a bowl with the lemon juice.
Mix up the nutmeg, cinnamon, and brown sugar and then
add it to the apples and stir.
Mix up the oats, flour, and sugar.
Cut the butter into eight small pieces; mix the butter and flour with a pastry blender.
Mix in your chopped nuts.
Butter a 9 inch square baking dish.
Put the apples in the baking dish
sprinkle flour mixture on top.
Bake at 375° for 30 - 40 minutes, or until apples are tender and topping is lightly browned.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Joe, there is one on the Quaker Oats box that the nuts are optional, I believe. It is the one my mom use to make. The trick I believe is to balance the sweetness of the streusel with the apples so that it is not too sweet. Also, you don't want the streusel to burn before the apples are done, so it is best to cut them thinly.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
This is the original recipe for fruit crisp (apple or pear)
http://www.quakeroats.ca/cgi-bin/recipe.pl5?eng21

(Use regular or 5 minute quaker oats)
The nuts are optional.
Cook’s Notes:
If using apples, Jonathan, McIntosh, Winesap, Granny Smith, Northern Spy, Greening and Rome Beauty are recommended. One medium apple yields about 1 cup sliced or chopped. If using pears, Bartlett, Anjou, and Bosc are recommended.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks girls I have plenty now to try out. I just need to get some good apples in here.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
The only other thing that I can add is if you use a really sweet apple like a Rome, use light brown sugar but if you have a tart apple like a Granny Smith, you might want to use the dark brown sugar.

lilylove

Joe you can leave the nuts out if you want! I do sometimes. Have fun trying all these different recipes!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well I love apples cooked and green apples as is so I will be trying all of them. I will also be applying Mama Peach cobbler recipe to a black berry cobbler as I also love black berries. Thanks to all of you girls. :respect:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well I love apples cooked and green apples as is so I will be trying all of them. I will also be applying Mama Peach cobbler recipe to a black berry cobbler as I also love black berries. Thanks to all of you girls. :respect:

I've never tried it with blackberries Joe. With my recipe the crust rises through the fruit so your crust may turn purple...I don't know...if you try it, let me know how it turns out.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My grand mother used to make it when black berries where in season using a simple butter milk biscuit dough. The dough would soak up the black berry's juice and was the best part of the whole thing. Now the biscuits where just placed on the top and put into the oven ready to go. It did turn the dough purple too, but was to just plain die for.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Give it a try and let me know how it turns out for you. I'd love to see some pics...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I will make a point of it Mama for sure. We didn't get a single wild black berry this year so I might see if Whole Foods has some if so I might do it this week end. If not though it might have to keep till next year when they come back into season. Meanwhile I'm going to try both the peach cobbler and apple dishes you posted as those things I can get pretty much year around.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Mmm that sounds good Trish! I love a good ol plain cobbler or crisp.. but I have to say crisps are my favorite, LOL.
I like green in mine as well... not sure which ones we used... granny smith maybe?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I just picked up some Michigan Red Delicious... just wondering where they got em this time of year?? LOL. Pretty good tasting but on the small side.