1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. bread crumbs
3 c. sliced granny smith apples
1/2 c. water
The juice and rind of 1 lemon
2 tbsp. butter

In a small bowl, mix together the first 4 ingredients. Set Aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 x 9 glass baking dish.

Put about 1/3 of the bread crumbs in the bottom of the baking dish.

Arrange 1/2 of the apples on top of the bread crumbs.

Sprinkle with about 1/2 of the sugar mixture.

Do another layer of bread crumbs, followed by the rest of the apples.

Mix together the water, lemon juice and rind.

Pour over the apples.

Sprinkle with the remaining bread crumbs.

Dot with the 2 tbsp. of butter.

Cover with tin foil and bake for 20 minutes, uncover and bake another 20 to 25 minutes.

Great topped with whipped cream.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I think you got it Mama. That sounds more like it than the recipe Emeril had on Food Network which wasn't quite right.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm not a big fan of Emeril. I went to his restaurant here in Atlanta and was VERY disappointed. It's since gone out of business.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It is funny too, my middle son is married to a real fan of his (she doesn't cook) and for their 10th wedding anniversary they booked him to cater a private party in Orlando. At any rate my wife and I drove up from West Palm and attended. All I can say is the man can cook and he cooked it himself with the aid of a couple of helpers. He also came out after dinner and joined the group and is pretty much what you see on TV. He has a great sense of humor and doesn't over rate himself which I was a bit surprised by since I've dealt with celebrities in the past as a body guard. All in all I was pretty impressed with him and have tried a few of his recipes that I liked though many are things I would never make. I also know he rarely cooks any more except on TV and don't ask what it cost my son as I have no idea. He could afford it at the time and I doubt I ever could.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You will get a karma point for this as soon as I can give you another.