Anyone making Black Eyed Peas

vyapti

The last few years, I've adopted the Southern tradition of making black eyed peas for new years. I think this year, I'll load a pot with black eyed peas, potatoes, tomato and turnip greens (if I can find them) or collard greens and cook up a batch of rice.

Is anyone else making black eyed peas? If so, how are you doing it?

Mr. Green Jeans

Yassir! We are doing BEP's New Year's Day as well.

Texas Caviar
Appetizers
Category
4 +
Servings
2 15 OZ CANS BLACK EYED PEAS DRAINED
1 CAN HOMINY DRAINED
3 MED OR 2 LARGE ROMA TOMATOES
SEEDED, DICED
4 SCALLIONS CHOPPED
3 CLOVES GARLIC MINCED
1 MEDIUM GREEN OR YELLOW BELL
PEPPER DICED
1 - 3 JALOPENOS SEEDED DICED FINE
1 TBSP CHOPPED FRESH CILANTRO
8 OZ. FAT FREE ITALIAN DRESSING OR OLD
DUTCH DRESSING
MIX ALL INGREDIENTS IN A TUPPERWARE OR SOME NON POROUS BOWL WITH TIGHT
SEALING LID. STORE IN REFRIGERATOR 8 HOURS TO OVER NIGHT SHAKING
OCCASIONALLY.
SERVE WITH TORTILLA CHIPS.
Ingredients
Instructions
Notes

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
we usually cook pork roast & sauerkraut & rd. potatoes. i'm gonna make a pot of those, too, this season. just a can of them with ham-base.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I make them as follows and got this recipe which I've added too over time from a Bush's black eyed pea can.

Marinated Blackeye Peas

1 can (15.8 ounces) BUSH'S BEST Blackeye Peas, rinsed and drained
1 chopped red bell pepper (can be roasted type)
1 rib celery, chopped
1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped (I prefer red onion)
1 tablespoon salad oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)
1 tablespoon vinegar (balsamic)
1 tablespoon mayonnaise (Miracle Whip my choice)
1 teaspoon mustard (dark)
1 finely chopped jalapeño pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash cayenne pepper
1 small can of Diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 or 2 drops Tabasco to taste

Drain BUSH'S Best Black eye Peas and diced tomato. Add chopped celery, red bell pepper, jalapeño and onion. Combine oil, vinegar, mayonnaise, salt and cayenne. Mix well. Pour over peas. Stir gently. Allow to chill in refrigerator several hours or overnight. Mix carefully. Serve as a relish with meats, or garnish with lettuce and a spoonful of mayonnaise and serve as a salad.

Makes 4 servings

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Gotta have black-eyed peas for the New Year...I need all of the good luck I can get :blush:!

2 cups of dry black-eyed peas
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]3-4 strips of salt pork (you can substitute bacon)[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
2 cans of chicken broth
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
1 medium onion, chopped
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1 medium green pepper, chopped[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
1 rib of celery, diced
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Salt and pepper to taste[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
water
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
Sort through your dry peas to make sure there are no stones or bad peas.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Cut salt pork or bacon into small pieces and brown in the same pot that you soaked the peas in.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Add the peas to the pot along with 2 of the cloves of garlic, 2 cans of chicken broth and 1 cup of water.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the peas are tender, about 2 hours.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Add the rest of the garlic, the onion, green pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Continue to gently simmer another 30 to 45 minutes. [/FONT]​

vyapti

I like the idea of making to something to eat with nachos. I could sit around all day and watch football with a bag of chips at my side and a bowl in my lap. I'm getting hungry just reading these recipes =).

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I do them in the crock pot with bacon, onion, salt, and pepper. We have to have stir-fried cabbage (again using bacon :biggrin:) alongside them.

Edit to add: The Texas Caviar is da'bomb, love that stuff! I have a recipe that uses avocado.

Mr. Green Jeans

I like the idea of making to something to eat with nachos. I could sit around all day and watch football with a bag of chips at my side and a bowl in my lap. I'm getting hungry just reading these recipes =).

That's my plan New Year's Day LOL! We really like Texas Caviar best using the Old Dutch dressing. It is a sweet/sour that blends well with the bite of the jalapenos. Also has no oil so is lower calorie. I'm looking at a honey/lime dressing recipe that just might work well. Will report back!

FryBoy

We will be making this version on New Year's Day:

Chicken Fricassee with Back-Eyed Peas & Spinach

1 cup dried black-eyed peas
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
10 ounces fresh white mushrooms, cut into ¼ inch thick slices
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
½ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ cup dry Sherry
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (about 1½ pounds total) cut into ½-inch slices
salt & pepper to taste
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2¼ cups chicken broth
8 ounces baby carrots, peeled and cut into serving-sized pieces
12 ounces fresh baby spinach
½ cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1. Pick over peas and discard any damaged peas or stones; rinse well and place in a large saucepan; add enough cold water to cover; bring to a boil and boil 1 minute; remove pan from heat and cover; Let peas stand for 1 hour; drain and set aside.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 4-quart pot over moderate heat; add onions and cook until softened.

3. Add mushrooms and thyme and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms have released their liquid and the liquid has evaporated.

4. Add garlic and continue cooking for another minute.

5. Add Sherry and simmer for another minute.

6. Transfer onion-mushroom mixture to a bowl and set aside.

7. Pat chicken slices dry and season with salt and pepper.

8. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking; add sliced chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned.

9. Add flour to chicken, stirring to combine.

10. Add broth to chicken, stirring to combine, and bring to boil.

11. Add onion-mushroom mixture, drained black-eyed peas, and carrots to pot; cover pot and simmer for about 20 minutes, until peas are tender.

12. Add spinach to pot (note: if spinach is not “baby,” remove coarse stems and cut leaves into ¼-inch strips before adding).

13. Add cream, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste; stir to combine and continue cooking for 2 minutes.

Serves 4.

FryBoy

This Indian version is very good if you prefer a meatless dish:

Spiced Black-Eyed Peas with Yogurt & Ginger

1½ cups dried black-eyed peas
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 yellow onions, minced
4 tablespoons minced, peeled fresh ginger
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground coriander
¾ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
2 tomatoes, chopped
½ cup plain yogurt
salt to taste
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Pick over and discard any damaged peas or stones. Rinse the peas. Place
in a bowl, add plenty of water to cover and soak for about 3 hours.

Drain the peas and place in a saucepan with water to cover by 2 inches.

Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until almost
tender, about 35 minutes. Drain the peas, reserving the liquid. Set aside.

In a large frying pan over low heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onions and
saute, stirring, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic,
coriander, cumin and cardamom and saute, stirring, for 2 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, cover and cook for 2 minutes longer.
Uncover and increase the heat to medium. Add 1 tablespoon of the yogurt
and continue to stir until it is fully incorporated into the sauce. Continue in
the same manner with the remaining yogurt, 1 tablespoon at a time.

Add the peas, ½ cup of the reserved liquid, salt to taste, and the cayenne;
cover and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.

Uncover and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is very
thick, 3 to 5 minutes.

Transfer to a platter, garnish with the cilantro and serve over steamed basmati rice.

Serves 6

vyapti

I made Texas Caviar for new years and finally got around to posting a pic. I changed up Mr Green Jeans a bit, mostly because I couldn't find Old Dutch dressing. It was really good and a nice change. I added avocado the next day and it was even better. The flavors had a chance to meld and the avocado added a nice texture to the salsa.

Texas Caviar:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Tofurky now has a vegetarian kielbasa that I've been wanting to try, so sometime this week, I'll make that with black eyed peas, fresh green beans and maybe some cornbread.

vyapti

The Kielbasa is about the only Tofurkey product I'll eat. It's not too bad. If you can find Field Roast, you should pick up a package. They make the most amazing vegetarian sausages. They really put Tofurkey to shame.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Vy.
There is a vegetarian cafe/market very close to Bluffton college here in Ohio.
I have found some very hard to find items there, so I betcha they'd have these.
Thanks again!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I made Texas Caviar for new years and finally got around to posting a pic. I changed up Mr Green Jeans a bit, mostly because I couldn't find Old Dutch dressing. It was really good and a nice change. I added avocado the next day and it was even better. The flavors had a chance to meld and the avocado added a nice texture to the salsa.

Texas Caviar:

:a1: Looks great!

Deelady

I would LOVE to learn how to make some Black eyed peas that I had once at a Jazz Club called Juke Joint.....I know that they had smoked ham hock in it , the pieces running throughout made it so nice and salty :D They must have mushed some of the peas as well because they were a nice cross between being a creamy stew and soup.....about 7-8 yrs later I still dream about those Peas!!! :p