Words and Expressions that we hate

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I can't stand it when we're told through work communication, that if we have a question about anything to "feel free to reach out to____" whatever person.
I prefer get in contact with.
"Reach out" bugs me. Lol

Oh, God, me too! I've complained about that one for at least 5 years! Another fad expression.

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Whenever I hear it, I think of the old AT&T commercial, 🎶🎶 reach out, reach out and touch someone ☎️🎶🎶🤣

LastManStanding

"What can I do you for?" sounds like someone asking a sex worker what they would accept as payment. Probably because I am not a native speaker of the language.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
"What can I do you for?" sounds like someone asking a sex worker what they would accept as payment. Probably because I am not a native speaker of the language.
Indike, I've heard it like Lee said, from the older generation of gentlemen.
Say you walk into a DIY store, and you're looking for something. A gentleman may walk up to you and say "what can I do ya for" vs what can I do for you, may I help you, etc ...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Indike, I've heard it like Lee said, from the older generation of gentlemen.
Say you walk into a DIY store, and you're looking for something. A gentleman may walk up to you and say "what can I do ya for" vs what can I do for you, may I help you, etc ...

Right, Lora. It's meant to be light-hearted, friendly, Indike.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, here's another one that's been getting my jaw to clench: "obsessed"

Now that I've pointed it out, you'll notice how many people are "obsessed" with everything.

Sorry!

Lee

LastManStanding

I hate "u" for "you" and hate "r u" for ... obvious. Actually, I hate being texted, period.

Lee
Same here. I actually never reply to u and r u and several other such "words." But texting I don't mind when the other person has no time for a call. E.g. in the office etc. .

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've not heard that in forever.

Foodie wise, I can't stand when anyone refers to mashed potatoes as mashies.
Sounds like something a 4 year old would say.

Ugh. Ditto 'taters*, 'maters, 'nanners, sammiches

(*unless referring to Tater Tots)

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This fad expression hasn't made it to my "hate list" yet, but it's quickly on its way: IYKYK (if you know, you know)

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
This isn't a word or expression that I dislike.

This is something I've come across several times now at work which has bothered me because a lot of people do not understand the language/culture of some from another country.
I trained Ema, Anna and Marlu (a young man).

They are all Filipino and our staff now on a three year contract.
They all refer to anyone as HE.
I knew this because my Father and Mother had Filipino friends and acquaintances while Dad was serving in the Navy.

I had to set a couple of the young girls straight on this, as they stood there looking at me totally perplexed.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Instead of leftovers. Used for another meal/dish. Still leftovers to me.

Just went over to DC and did a search on "planned overs". Geez, I see what you mean - lots of those members use the term! Never heard it before!

Lee