Ripe jackfruit (waraka)

LastManStanding

Had this a few days ago. Here are the pictures. Colours are not exactly the same but very close. Phone cameras you know.
Anyway, cutting a jackfruit on a clean table is a really bad idea. You get sticky gum all over, and they never clean up for many days. We use kerosene oil or coconut oil to clean them after eating.

IMG20220601183348.jpg

IMG20220601183404.jpg

IMG20220601193936.jpg

LastManStanding

How did you eat that, LM? Fresh, raw?

Lee
Yes. There's no other way to eat them. Some people sprinkle a little bit of salt water on them before eating but that's all. While any other kind of fruit can be made in to a pickle (with some chilli powder and salt), waraka cannot. It should be eaten fresh and raw.

LastManStanding

LMS. the only time I ever had it was this way: https://netcookingtalk.com/forums/threads/jackfruit-tacos-delish.29389/

I liked it, but I'd love to try it your way!

Lee
Lee what I posted is ripe jackfruit which is eaten as a ripe fruit. What you find in the recipe above is the unripe ones. It should be cooked to eat.

Jackfruit is a versatile fruit. You can cook it when very young, before the "fruits" in the middle develop, when they are just tender bulbs inside. It's a delicacy if you cook it properly.
And then when it's mature you can cook the flesh into a curry in different ways. Or you can tear those flesh into thin strips and fry. Or you can cut them into small pieces and temper, and then add coconut cream which is tasty.
Then you can just steam that flesh and eat it as a main staple food. We eat it with scraped coconut and green chilli sambal.

Then we come to the seeds. You can remove the seed cover and add them into the same curry.
Or you can steam them separately and eat with scraped coconut.
Or you can fry them in oven, grind it into flour, and make various sweets. You can crush them, add sugar and scraped coconut, add a little bit of water, make small balls, and eat as a snack. For that we use the seeds of the ripe jackfruit that remain after eating it as a fruit.

There are two main kinds of jakfruit. Although the cooked jackfruit flesh has no difference, it shows a difference when ripe. One is firm and one is very soft. The one we call "waraka" is the firm one. You should bite it to eat. The other kind you can just swallow the whole fruit. (The inside fruits/bulbs. Not the whole fruit)

Jak tree wood is one of the most expensive in my country. It's in the most restricted list of trees. The wood has a beautiful golden colour, and its furniture are really beautiful.

2.09am here, and I am still awake writing about jackfruit! hahaha

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lee what I posted is ripe jackfruit which is eaten as a ripe fruit. What you find in the recipe above is the unripe ones. It should be cooked to eat.

Jackfruit is a versatile fruit. You can cook it when very young, before the "fruits" in the middle develop, when they are just tender bulbs inside. It's a delicacy if you cook it properly.
And then when it's mature you can cook the flesh into a curry in different ways. Or you can tear those flesh into thin strips and fry. Or you can cut them into small pieces and temper, and then add coconut cream which is tasty.
Then you can just steam that flesh and eat it as a main staple food. We eat it with scraped coconut and green chilli sambal.

Then we come to the seeds. You can remove the seed cover and add them into the same curry.
Or you can steam them separately and eat with scraped coconut.
Or you can fry them in oven, grind it into flour, and make various sweets. You can crush them, add sugar and scraped coconut, add a little bit of water, make small balls, and eat as a snack. For that we use the seeds of the ripe jackfruit that remain after eating it as a fruit.

There are two main kinds of jakfruit. Although the cooked jackfruit flesh has no difference, it shows a difference when ripe. One is firm and one is very soft. The one we call "waraka" is the firm one. You should bite it to eat. The other kind you can just swallow the whole fruit. (The inside fruits/bulbs. Not the whole fruit)

Jak tree wood is one of the most expensive in my country. It's in the most restricted list of trees. The wood has a beautiful golden colour, and its furniture are really beautiful.

2.09am here, and I am still awake writing about jackfruit! hahaha

Wow, what a terrific post, LMS! Thank you for the great info!

Lee