Jalapeno Corn Bread

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not usually a fan of corn bread, but when a neighbor made and shared this years ago, I liked it.

I used her recipe with a giant jalapeno from my garden, and made 18 muffins. I baked the muffins at 350 for 30 minutes.

Very moist, not gritty at all, but not hot at all either. When I tried a piece of the jalapeno raw, it was hot, but no heat in the muffins, darn it!

Lee

Jalapeño Cornbread (Karen Cushing’s)

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup grated cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1 or 2 chopped jalapenos (more or less depending on how how you prefer)
1 can cream style corn
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup milk

Mix dry ingredients. Add milk, eggs, oil and corn. Add cheese, onions and peppers. Mix with a spoon until blended. Bake in a 9 by 13 inch pan at 375 for 30 minutes. Then broil on high until top is golden.

Giant jalapeno.JPG

Corn bread muffins.JPG

Cornbread open.JPG

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
That looks wonderful!

I made homemade jalapeño bagels and the peppers were hot when raw but after cooking way too mild. Next time I added an extra pepper and some red pepper flakes, and they were excellent. I think the heat during cooking mellows the spicy/hot out of them.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I think I'm going to try a half-batch of these. I have to buy some creamed corn first. I never keep that on hand. Have you tried freezing them?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I think I'm going to try a half-batch of these. I have to buy some creamed corn first. I never keep that on hand. Have you tried freezing them?

I haven't tried that, Cooksie, but I'm sure they would be fine.

Lee