Spinach and Ricotta Gnudi

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This recipe was in my latest issue of Cook's Illustrated. I don't recall ever hearing of gnudi before. What a great idea - the flavors of ravioli without the pasta! Brilliant!

The original recipe called for 1/4 teas. of grated lemon zest, which I put in. I thought the lemon was too much, so I will substitute a clove of minced or grated garlic next time.

These were really easy!

Lee

Spinach and Ricotta Gnudi (adapted from Cook's Illustrated)

14 oz. carton of whole milk ricotta

½ cup flour

½ cup Parm. Cheese

1 T. panko bread crumbs

¾ teas. salt

¼ teas. pepper

1 clove garlic, minced

10 oz. frozen whole leaf spinach, thawed and squeezed dry

2 large egg whites, lightly beaten

Dry the ricotta by spreading ricotta over a double layer of paper towels on a sheet pan and leave it for 10 minutes.

Fold the edge of the paper towels in half, peeling the cheese off the paper, then turn 90 degrees and fold again, several times, until the cheese forms a log you can pick up.

Place flour, parm, panko, s&p, minced garlic in a bowl and stir to combine. Place spinach in a food processor and chop finely, about 30 seconds. Add to bowl with flour mixture. Add ricotta and egg whites to the bowl. Mix well.

Form dough into small balls. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Drop balls into the water. When water comes back to simmer, time for 5 minutes. Use a spider to remove gnudi from water to drain.

Serve with your favorite sauce, usually tomato-based, or browned butter sage sauce.

Gnudi.JPG

Chicken patty and gnudi.JPG

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We love gnudi, haven't made them in ages though, might be a good thing to make again though since they can be made ahead for the afternoon/early evenings I have to work.

I'd still add some of the zest as it brightens the flavor, or maybe just use a tiny bit of lemon juice.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We love gnudi, haven't made them in ages though, might be a good thing to make again though since they can be made ahead for the afternoon/early evenings I have to work.

I'd still add some of the zest as it brightens the flavor, or maybe just use a tiny bit of lemon juice.

Med, I looked for a recipe on NCT and didn't find one by searching on the title. Did you post one?

This is yet another food item that I've missed all these years! :rolleyes:

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Med, I looked for a recipe on NCT and didn't find one by searching on the title. Did you post one?

This is yet another food item that I've missed all these years! :rolleyes:

Lee

No, it's been a really, really long time since I made them. We make so many different things, we tend to forgot about dishes even if we really liked them until something reminds us.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So, I had a lot of gnudi left over. I used some as another side dish with brown butter/sage sauce (delicious!)

With the rest, I made a Milk St. recipe that called for orecchiette and I subbed the gnudi for the pasta. The recipe had Italian sausage, Swiss chard, peppadew peppers (interesting), some more stuff and all came together pretty well. Topped with parm.

Not a great photo, but tasted good. And I didn't miss the pasta!

Lee

Sausage, chard and gnudi.JPG