Why is a scoop ice cream 5$?

Elephant

Supp,... :)

I was about to comment on an article but then it got to long and i lost track.
So i decided to make an entire thread of it.
I am not native english so there will be grammar and spelling mistakes but i think youll forgive me :)
So enjoy the following.

If you want to make ice cream, italian ice or even gelato you ALWAYS have to ask yourself, apart of flavour, how?
How am i going to make, not only to make but to create, a GOOD outcome?
Because theres nothing more frustrating than wasting a lot of time and obviously money because youre outcome turned out to be sh!t.

So let me help you little bit.
The following will not contain recipes or meassurements of ingredients.
But it will contain a couple of useful steps.

So,... heres a little bit of Q&A!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What happens if you take a bag of milk and you freeze it?
Well Sherlock, it freezes, obviously.
And now you have one solid block of frozen milk.

So how are we going to stop it from freezing?

Theres a couple of things such as thickener, verious types of sugar or alcohol that lower the freezing point.
But we stick to two of them for now:
(no particular order)
1) Sugar
2) Alcohol
Usually you dont find any alcohol in your ice cream so theres one left: sugar.

So do i mix sugar with milk then?
Yesn't.
You mix sugar with eggyolk and whisk it to a nice a cream.
But keep in mind. Sugar lowers the freezing point. If you dont have enough sugar in it you will end up having one solid block of what ever you wanted to create in the first place.
So now you have a bag of milk and some eggyolk mixed with sugar.
What now?
We add cream to it.
How much?
I dont know. I dont know because i dont know what you want to do.
Italian ice has a higher milk to cream ratio and no eggs, while ice cream usually has a higher cream to milk ratio.

So know you have the basics.
Milk, Cream, Sugar, Eggyolk(ital. ice cream does not contain any eggs).

And now we can start:
You mix the milk and cream, temper hit. As long as you can put your finger inside withouth burning yourself youll be fine. And by you i mean your mixture.
Remember, we make ice cream, no "panna cotta", so theres no need of boiling it.
Add the whisked eggyolk to the mixture, mix it a couple minutes, slowly start rising the temperature.
Remember, we dont boil it, if you boil it, its fcked.

Why do we even temper it?
We need the eggyolk to start making it thicker, it combines everything together and in addition it makes it thicker for a short period of time: the milk, the cream the eggyolk and the sugar. if you boil it, the eggyolk will change from liquid to solid and the cream is ruined.
You can check by putting the back of a spoon into it. If the back of the spoon stays covered, youre done.
For now.
Let it rest
Same for cooking some nice fillet or briscet.
Let it rest.
Put the mixture in the fridge to cool it down.

Its cold, what now?
Freeze it.
But dont forgett to stir it.
Remember how freezing works:
It starts to freeze on the outsite.
Stir it every couple minutes, put it back, take it out, put it back, take it out.
We do this to make the ice cream creamy.

This is the very basic of how to make ice cream.

Are you stil with me? And are you stil interested?
Enjoy the following.

Ice cream can be super easy:
Take a banana, add some cream, sugar, food-process it, cool it, freeze it, make it creamy. Done. Simple. Easy. Banana-ice cream.

But ice cream can also be super extensive when you have to sell it, need it for a special diet (a lot of athletes love ice cream, who doesnt, but they want ice cream with a high level of protein, who do you make it?) or just because you want to flex on people.

What about balancing different types of sugar? Why do we even have different types of sugar? Why do we add powdered milk to a milk-cream mixture? Why do we add fibre to it? Why do we not add fibre to another recipe? Why do add thickener to it? Why do we have different types of thickener? Why do we combine them on this one but not on the other one? Why do we create entire books of excel sheets for only balancing ingredients?
The questions never stop.

Because everybody knows vanilla ice cream, but theres nothing special about it.
What about some sherbet? Lemon maybe? Sounds good.
What about some salted caramel popcorn ice cream? Fandy, i like it.
What about some papaya-tomato-rosemary sherbet? Wait what?
What about some parmesan vinegar ice cream?
What about some goat cheese with cantuccini?

Do what you want.
Create your own creation.
Choices are yours.

<3

Edit: Forgot to mention that ital. ice cream also regulated the "creamyness" with thickener

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I particularly like the paragraph about banana ice cream. Can you post a similar recipe, with amounts, only with strawberries? Or blueberries????

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
I think that the price of ice cream has gone up since the covid-19 pandemic. Ice cream draws huge crowds. Amongst that many people, there could be someone who may be infected. In fact, restaurants, theaters, concerts, beaches, theme parks, carnivals, airports, even the planes themselves, they all draw huge crowds!! Ice cream at any of these places are expensive. No one knows who may be infected, but one thing IS for sure; Ice cream has gotten very expensive!! Even the stuff used to make it, such as eggs, sugar, butter & cream is also expensive. :bolt:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah but what do you want? Do you want it vegan, with milk, without milk,...? Let me know :)

Like this, only with blueberries and amounts:

"Ice cream can be super easy:
Take a banana, add some cream, sugar, food-process it, cool it, freeze it, make it creamy. Done. Simple. Easy. Banana-ice cream."

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter

Take a banana, add some cream, sugar, food-process it, cool it, freeze it, make it creamy. Done. Simple. Easy. Banana-ice cream."

Lee

Especially when it's done in a Vitamix blender!! Bang, boom, done!!! :whistling:
Vitamix A2300 Ascent Series Blender..jpg

Shermie

Site Supporter
A bit overkill for blending fruits but it gets the job done.

You bet it does! It's not a mediocre blender. It's one of the most powerful blenders around, & it beats the cheaper brands hands down! Also, it has a long strong 10-year warrantee on everything, which is why I invested in one of them. :whistling:

Elephant

Lee
Just letting you know im still on it.
I am very strict with myself and as long as i am not 110% satisfied with, i wont tell you how to make it.
i keep you updated :)

Elephant

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Whoaaaaaaaaa, LOL! How cool is that??? No pun intended.

Thank you so much, Sven! I'll have to translate the amounts, but I think I'll try it this hot weekend!

Lee