Movies You Watched

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Those are the only one's I haven't read. Guess I need to add those to the list too. I have a stack of James Rollins books right now that are begging for attention. LOL.

Book 1 sucked because he wrote it in college and then forgot about it. The Style is ROUGH! It’s Best to do 2 first then do 1 and then do the rest in order.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Books are ALWAYS better, imo, just allows for the mid to do, what even the screen can do, BUT even the mind can be far more sinister. .

That being said, Misery still has one of my all time LOOK AWAY CRINGE moments, ever, lol. . . and, most of "IT", I get goose bumps just thinking of it, book OR movie, lol.

That damn clown! Yea - that one really freaks me out. LOL. What was his name? Pennywise?

"EVERYTHING floats down here!!"

I started a literature thread.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Book 1 sucked because he wrote it in college and then forgot about it. The Style is ROUGH! It’s Best to do 2 first then do 1 and then do the rest in order.
I have tried to read book 1 so many times!! It is sooooooooooo boring to me!!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Keltin said:

I LOVE this series. I could never get past Book 1 until I started listening to them as audiobooks. I'm now almost finished with The Wastelands, and I listen as I paint, do dishes, cook, clean house, etc. The guy who reads them is wonderful, and they are all available at audible dot com. They can be played on an MP3 player, computer, iPad, iPhone, etc.

Keltin said:
I'm still waiting for the Dark Tower series to become a movie!!
In Book 3, Jake sees a movie theater that is playing the spaghetti westerns and comments that Clint Eastwood looks a little like Roland...although he may be getting a little long in the tooth at this stage.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I LOVE this series. I could never get past Book 1 until I started listening to them as audiobooks. I'm now almost finished with The Wastelands, and I listen as I paint, do dishes, cook, clean house, etc. The guy who reads them is wonderful, and they are all available at audible dot com. They can be played on an MP3 player, computer, iPad, iPhone, etc.

In Book 3, Jake sees a movie theater that is playing the spaghetti westerns and comments that Clint Eastwood looks a little like Roland...although he may be getting a little long in the tooth at this stage.
Hey there Karen!!

I started a thread about Literature you may be interested in

Literature/Books/Audio Books

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Just watched The Fighter with Wahlberg and Bale. Ok movie, definitely not a Rocky (few fight scenes, and the few it had were lack-luster). Really, it's just a ho-drum slice of life movie that follows a Massachusetts family with two brothers that got into the boxing biz.

Great acting by everyone, and it looks and feels real……but that’s just it, it’s a rather slow look at the real life (it is based on a true story) of some folks in Massachusetts back in the late 80s and how they act (including a washed out brother that is hooked on crack). Slow, full of local color, but absent anything stirring.

If you’re a voyeur and love to sit in on other people’s lives and see their drama and problems, then this movie is for you. If you’re expecting a great boxing movie, riveting action, or powerful turns, look elsewhere.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Just watched The Fighter with Wahlberg and Bale. Ok movie, definitely not a Rocky (few fight scenes, and the few it had were lack-luster). Really, it's just a ho-drum slice of life movie that follows a Massachusetts family with two brothers that got into the boxing biz.

Great acting by everyone, and it looks and feels real……but that’s just it, it’s a rather slow look at the real life (it is based on a true story) of some folks in Massachusetts back in the late 80s and how they act (including a washed out brother that is hooked on crack). Slow, full of local color, but absent anything stirring.

If you’re a voyeur and love to sit in on other people’s lives and see their drama and problems, then this movie is for you. If you’re expecting a great boxing movie, riveting action, or powerful turns, look elsewhere.

There was an interesting segment on The World, with Kurt Anderson where they review this movie. You pretty much summed it it.

Even though it is a movie that has boxing, I am not sure it delivered as a boxing movie. It DID connect on the last kinda hold out of Americana, the good ol Boston local pride. I think it focused a LOT on building that sense of family/demographic/identity.

Marky Mark was ripped as hell though, and apparently did a LOT of training for the flick, and it showed. His brother was a great character too.

It isn't one of those triumphant victory type of movies, and doesn't say anything that hasn't been said(for boxing type movies)but I feel it did deliver as a good movie. . .that had boxing in it.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
OK i'm ready!!
movies.gif

I set me DVR to record "Knowing" on thursday!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Watched George Clooney in "The American" today. Verrrrrrrry sloooooow.

A waste of $6.

Lee

mhend

I was flipping through channels today while the kids were in school and came across "Did You Hear About the Morgans?" I think it might very well be the worst movie I have ever seen. Bad plot, really bad acting...

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Just watched "The Horde", a French Zombie movie recommended to me by my UK buddies. A decent flick. A few holes such as how the zombies got created/infected, and the ending is BAD. Real bad! Damn French! :yum:

But, overall, worth a peek.

Guts

grumpy old men and grumpier old men Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon these two movies after the comic Classics for sure

FooD

The Kids Are All Right

A Netflix dvd, a film about 2 kids and their lesbian parents (Annette Benning & Julianne Moore). It was a good film. Many location scenes looked familiar....and then I realized the film was shot in my neighborhood....lol... Extra points for that.

buckytom

Grill Master
i watched and kinda liked "jonah hex" last night.

a friend at work would look just like josh brolin in it if we stuffed cotton in his cheek and taped a rubber band over it.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Ok, so I am not sure who is into intense films. . .or INTENSE HORROR films, but I love me some Japanese, Chinese, and Korean branded horror flicks(they tend to be verrrrrrrrrrry dark, and really crazy) but the latest and greatest IMO was, "I saw the Devil".

If you are into psychological thrillers, not turned off by over the top graphic scenes, and are into a great story line, check it out. Netflix has it.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, so I am not sure who is into intense films. . .or INTENSE HORROR films, but I love me some Japanese, Chinese, and Korean branded horror flicks(they tend to be verrrrrrrrrrry dark, and really crazy) but the latest and greatest IMO was, "I saw the Devil".

If you are into psychological thrillers, not turned off by over the top graphic scenes, and are into a great story line, check it out. Netflix has it.

I LOVE Japanese Horror! I'll check that one out, thanks!

Watched Death Race 2 last night. Not too bad. Hokey, but fun.

BT, I saw Jonah Hex not long ago, and liked it as well. I've never been a fan of DC comics, so I never read that title. Not being a fan of the comic probably helps liking the movie. :yum:

FooD

I re-ordered Like Dandelion Dust from Netflix. I saw it last week, told some people about it, and now they'll be watching it tonight. I'll watch it again. Heart wrenching, emotional roller coaster of a movie. I told my daughter and her friend to bring a box of tissues with them.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I watched "Hercules of New York" last night on Roku (Netflix) last night.

It's streaming now on Netflix.

Horrible movie. Absolutely atrocious. Not even B…..more like C or D. A real stinker.

But……worth watching. Why?

Because it was Arnold Schwarzenegger's first movie! He was in his early 20's and just reaching his prime. Flipping huge! Further, to add a really bizarre and somewhat comical note, his Austrian accent was so strong back then that they actually dubbed his voice! It is so freaky to see a young Arnold moving his lips, but some other American guy's voice is coming out. They did a good job syncing the dubbed voice track to his lips, but it is really bizarre! :yum:

Carolina Cooking

Water for Elephants.. Just OK the book is 100% better.

I am really waiting for the movie 'Help". I can only hope they don't mess that up too.
The Book was so great. I read that Big Boy in 2 days. It was a page turner. I couldn't lay it down..

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I watched "Hercules of New York" last night on Roku (Netflix) last night.

It's streaming now on Netflix.

Horrible movie. Absolutely atrocious. Not even B…..more like C or D. A real stinker.

But……worth watching. Why?

Because it was Arnold Schwarzenegger's first movie! He was in his early 20's and just reaching his prime. Flipping huge! Further, to add a really bizarre and somewhat comical note, his Austrian accent was so strong back then that they actually dubbed his voice! It is so freaky to see a young Arnold moving his lips, but some other American guy's voice is coming out. They did a good job syncing the dubbed voice track to his lips, but it is really bizarre! :yum:
Along the same lines. When Mad Max was originally released in the USA they dubbed Mel's heavy Aussie accent with an american voice. Now I think they are showing the undubbed version with Mel's Aussie accent voice.