Help please. My weird dog.

Angie

Kika is 11 yrs old today. She is a Shiba Inu. We got her when she was 2..almost 3.
kikagirl.jpg

She is a wonderful dog. Was bred by a reputable breeder who would show dogs. Kika was a show dog. She had one litter before we got her and we bred her with our male once as well.

Here's her deal...She is weird. She is 100% attached to me. She constantly licks the floor or herself...or YOU if she can. She is aggressive about it but never dangerous or mean. She will lick the air between you and her. If I'm sitting in a chair (like I am now), she'll come up to me, jump up, put her front paws on the chair, stare at me, paw at me, and pant fast, but we never can tell what she wants. She doesn't go to the door to go out, she doesn't need food or water. She cleans herself all the time. She's a very good dog, sweet as can be, no health problems and wouldn't hurt you ever.

Great little hunter too. Quick. She can catch a rabbit or shrew no problem. She does have some separation anxiety with me, but it's getting better. I was gone a lot early this year. She used to be deathly afraid of storms and fireworks and had to take puppy Valium. Since she's been with me, she's gotten better. She's always by my side and follows me everywhere I go.

When I walk her (three times a day), she is constantly sniffing the ground. At first I think it's to find a place to do her duties. Then she is sniffing for food and stuff. She'll pick up anything and start eating it.

She was a wonderful mother and I love her dearly, she just drives us a little crazy. Any ideas on what is going on with her? I need the Dog Whisperer!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
How gorgeous!!

Constant licking is often a sign of being separated from the mother too soon, but also a sign of the animal seeking your love, attention, and approval. Your description makes her sound like she’s just craving lots of attention. One of my cats is that way. Every day when I come home, she meows and tries to lick me. So I pick her up, walk her around the house, show her the usual windows and things she likes to paw at. A few minutes of that, and she’s back to normal.

We had a pup years ago that was a licker. We would push his head away gently, and then rub the back of his neck and say nice things like he was a pretty boy, maybe play fetch a bit, etc. He eventually stopped licking “as much” but he still liked to lick. I guess to him that was the “trigger” for some loving and attention. Our vet said it was just their way of showing affection and getting it in return.

Dogs have higher thresholds for attention, so it may take quite a bit of rubbing and love talk to quench it.

But in the end, it’s just a sign she loves you and wants more of you.

The digging for food thing is typical of every dog I’ve ever had. Once they can find ANYTHING not on their normal menu, they’ll try to eat it. It’s like a kid in a candy store. She sounds like a normal and loveable big ball of licking fur! :biggrin:

Angie

Thanks for you input! She's a sweetie...and I love her so much, but the panting and staring gets so crazy anoyed!

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
The licking can be a problem, specially if she is ever walked around areas where pesticides or lawn treatments have been applied. My Booter licks all the time, like you said, he licks himself, us, Binks (Binks loves this BTW,) our leather couch (which I believe it conditions it because it has never looked better!), it gets old after awhile. We have used an e-collar to help curb this behavior, but he still does it.

It is a behavioral issue and can be corrected, but as my dog still licks, I obviously have not taken the steps to properly deal with this, and have no real advice on dealing with it. Boots is old, and at this point in his life, I'm fine letting him live out his days doing what he seems content to do.

I do think you have some of the most beautiful dogs I have ever seen Angie!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I won't lie, it takes patience. There are days when V (my cat) goes on and on and wants the daily walk, and I'm like *sigh* really. You just have to do it sometimes.

Tyr talking to her and get her to do tricks like "sit" and "shake". Make it interactive and see what happens.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
She could also need salt. An example is a horse that cribs (chews wood posts) or cattle that do the same thing. Put a little salt in a plate and see if she goes for it, if so have a vet check her out as that could be caused by something more serious. Now I'm no expert but have owned a lot of animals in my life and am basing it on that.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
She could also need salt. An example is a horse that cribs (chews wood posts) or cattle that do the same thing. Put a little salt in a plate and see if she goes for it, if so have a vet check her out as that could be caused by something more serious. Now I'm no expert but have owned a lot of animals in my life and am basing it on that.

Very good point!

Angie

Thanks Sattie...they are pretty puppies aren't they? We love them more than anything. I can't have kids so...well, this is what I have instead!

When Kika was pregnant with her litter, both her and Kenzo got out of our yard somehow. They both got into rabbit poison. Thankfully, we got them to the vet in time and they had a full recovery with no problems to the pups as well..

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It may be behavioral too, but I've had cats, dogs, horses and cows all show signs of compulsive licking and all but one was due to a low body salt content due to different things. At any rate the one that wasn't was a cat that would lick everything in site and he was just nuts, plan and simple retarded.

Angie

It may be behavioral too, but I've had cats, dogs, horses and cows all show signs of compulsive licking and all but one was due to a low body salt content due to different things. At any rate the one that wasn't was a cat that would lick everything in site and he was just nuts, plan and simple retarded.

:yum:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

:yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

Sounds like you're talking about my V......female, American Bobtail. She's a strange one!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
This damned cat was born with a bent tail and when I say bent made a 90 deg. left hand turn half way up it. It was an orange tabby that when a kitten would run up my porch posts about 6' up and just let go, landing like a rock on its back. It would do this for hours too. It was just a very strange animal kinds of like a child that sits in a corner and beats its head against the wall. At any rate one morning we went out to feed it and it was gone though that was over 30 years ago now. I still remember that strange cat.

I've got Bird and Dog now both litter mates and manx cats. Both are scary in their intelligence sometimes as they watch and learn from what we do. But I've had a lot of animals many that left their marks in their lives on use that where unique and great.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
It could be both the salt and behavior. Sounds just like my Beagle, including the panting and staring at ya... but not wanting to go out to do her job, just demanding play and attention!
She has separation anxiety and low salt content. So between the anxiety, salt, and demanding attention she is constantly licking and grabbing for your attention. She never licks the mouth thankfully, just always your eyes, hair, chin, neck, arms, legs.
The howling is what kills me though, even if I am only gone 30 minutes she howls like crazy until I greet her. Then I have to calm her and tell her its ok for several minutes.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh, she is so beautiful. I am not a dog expert, so I can only suggest that you listen to what more knowledgeable folks here have to say. She is obviously a very special dog and is worth the effort.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I'm no expert either but it does sound like an anxiety that your dog now deals with by obsessively licking. Have you ever watched Cesar Milan, the Dog Whisperer? I'm not sure I really get all the psychology behind his recommendations, but the things he suggests usually work. Anyway, he often suggests providing alternate activities when trying to curb obsessive behaviors. Usually they involve longer walks or walks with "doggy back packs" that add weight so they increase the workout for the dog. Also, interesting and new play activities.

My dog Bella is very attached to me and is my shadow. She would even follow me to the bathroom every time if I let her. In fact, I used to let her, thinking it would decrease her separation anxiety from me. But the more I let her be with me, the worse things got. She became so jealous of my attention that she stopped playing with our other dog lest I give him even a smidgen of attention. I started doing the things on Cesar's show and stopped allowing her to do things like sleep in my bed, follow me to the bathroom, etc., and her anxiety lessened almost overnight.

HTH because your dog is such a sweetie.

Angie

I'm no expert either but it does sound like an anxiety that your dog now deals with by obsessively licking. Have you ever watched Cesar Milan, the Dog Whisperer? I'm not sure I really get all the psychology behind his recommendations, but the things he suggests usually work. Anyway, he often suggests providing alternate activities when trying to curb obsessive behaviors. Usually they involve longer walks or walks with "doggy back packs" that add weight so they increase the workout for the dog. Also, interesting and new play activities.

My dog Bella is very attached to me and is my shadow. She would even follow me to the bathroom every time if I let her. In fact, I used to let her, thinking it would decrease her separation anxiety from me. But the more I let her be with me, the worse things got. She became so jealous of my attention that she stopped playing with our other dog lest I give him even a smidgen of attention. I started doing the things on Cesar's show and stopped allowing her to do things like sleep in my bed, follow me to the bathroom, etc., and her anxiety lessened almost overnight.

HTH because your dog is such a sweetie.

That's something to try! Thanks!

Calicolady

I had a licker years ago. Turned out it was allergies. I had to give her a diet of rice and I forget what meat. I didn't believe it at first, but sure enough, the diet fixed it.
Hope it's that simple and works for you.