Has anyone tried this?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Mama, if you like cookbooks and the ATK show, their new cookbook is great. Although I have several of their others, the new one has all of the last 10 years' shows in it. All the recipes, all the taste testing, all the ratings, all the gadgets - including these fries.

If you order it from them, it's about $30, plus you get the DVD's of this current season. You can save a little money if you buy it online from Jessica's Biscuit or any book website, but you don't get the videos.

I have been trying their recipes and techniques and I've only found two that weren't very good. (One was some weird wet piecrust dough, and the other was their tiramisu.)

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks SS! I may just check into it. I do enjoy watching the show.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Ah you don't want them wet before frying do you? My deep fryer would spite at me if I did that.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I like this method very much and will be using it all the time because it removes the dangerous step. You know - when you try to put the potatoes into the hot oil without getting burned? Maybe I should give up cooking naked, but even if I did, my hands would still get popped with hot oil the old way.

j/k about the naked part, but the rest of it, I am serious about.

mhend

I like this method very much and will be using it all the time because it removes the dangerous step. You know - when you try to put the potatoes into the hot oil without getting burned? Maybe I should give up cooking naked, but even if I did, my hands would still get popped with hot oil the old way.

j/k about the naked part, but the rest of it, I am serious about.

:yum::yum:

High Cheese

Saucier
attachment.php

What fries?

That burger looks awesome! :thumb:

I toss raw cut potatoes in a zip lock with some flour and spices, fry them in a pan or skillet with peanut oil, then let dry on a paper towl, then bake them in the oven for a few minutes.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Tonight I tried it!

I have the cookbook, so I followed it exactly. (except I made 1/2 a recipe)

2 1/2 pounds yukon golds, cut into 1/4 inch fries.
6 cups peanut or veg oil
1/4 cup bacon fat

Put everything in a heavy dutch oven (no lid)
Bring to a boil over high heat (about 5 minutes).
Boil WITHOUT STIRRING for 15 minutes until lightly golden
Stir gently with tongs to loosen any stuck fries from the bottom and cook another 5-10 minutes.

They were actually good!

Except:
15 minutes was way too long, at least for my pan & stove. After 10 minutes, they were golden, and a few were already burnt and stuck to the bottom.

The extra 5-10 minutes of cooking for me was only about 2 minutes. They were done. So the total cooking time for me was 12 minutes from the boil, not 20-25.

They were easy, and it worked. Once again, ATK has come up with something that works.
AWESOME!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Mama, if you like cookbooks and the ATK show, their new cookbook is great. Although I have several of their others, the new one has all of the last 10 years' shows in it. All the recipes, all the taste testing, all the ratings, all the gadgets - including these fries.

If you order it from them, it's about $30, plus you get the DVD's of this current season. You can save a little money if you buy it online from Jessica's Biscuit or any book website, but you don't get the videos.

I have been trying their recipes and techniques and I've only found two that weren't very good. (One was some weird wet piecrust dough, and the other was their tiramisu.)

Well, I finally ordered it. I can't wait till it gets here. Shipping and all for the cookbook with 10 years worth of recipes and DVD's for all of the 2010 season was only $33.90! What a deal! If I like it, I may get some more for Christmas gifts.