Five People Lost their Lives in Submersible Near Sunken Titanic!!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Today has been a very tragic day when it was learned & discovered that five people died when the vehicle had imploded tragically near the floor of the Atlantic Ocean! They were on their way to view the sunken Titanic. Details are sketchy at this point, but they were going to the bottom of the ocean to view the sunken Titanic, which sank in 1912 after hitting an iceberg. I'm told that the mini sub was on its way there when it ran into problems. It would seem to me, that this area has been cursed even since the Titanic had sunk there!!!! :eek: :eek:

Reactions: Doc

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
You couldn’t pay me enough to go 2 miles under the sea… and be bolted in from the outside. F that. :huh:

Me either. When I heard that, I was like WTF? You do realize that means you could conceivably die from suffocation ON THE SURFACE because of that. I would not get in a submersible designed like that.

Also I swear reporters can say the downright stupidest things sometimes. We were watching the news tonight and one of them said something along the line of "it is expected there are no survivors." First of all, the human body cannot survive pressures at that depth unprotected. It would simply flatten into a sheet of human paper. Even a JIM suit will not allow you to dive to the depth of the Titanic. At best, it will get you to about a tenth of that depth before the suit fails. AND, even if you didn't flatten into a sheet of human paper, there is no way in hades that you would be able to reach the surface without lots and lots of mixed gas tanks, LOTS, because not only would the tanks only last a tiny amount of time due to the pressure compressing the gas, you would have to make a multitude of very long decompression stops on your way up or you would simply explode at some point.

And just to put in perspective, the last few years we dove, we used a shallow water mixed gas called nitrox because it lessened the chance of subclinical and clinical nitrogen narcosis (the bends), as well as you were able to make more dives and were less fatigued after you dove. A tank at 30-45 feet would last me about 2 to 2.5 hours. At 100-120 feet, that same tank would last 20 to 30 minutes, plus you had to make decompression stops on the way back up so had to save enough air for them.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Me either. When I heard that, I was like WTF? You do realize that means you could conceivably die from suffocation ON THE SURFACE because of that. I would not get in a submersible designed like that.

Also I swear reporters can say the downright stupidest things sometimes. We were watching the news tonight and one of them said something along the line of "it is expected there are no survivors." First of all, the human body cannot survive pressures at that depth unprotected. It would simply flatten into a sheet of human paper. Even a JIM suit will not allow you to dive to the depth of the Titanic. At best, it will get you to about a tenth of that depth before the suit fails. AND, even if you didn't flatten into a sheet of human paper, there is no way in hades that you would be able to reach the surface without lots and lots of mixed gas tanks, LOTS, because not only would the tanks only last a tiny amount of time due to the pressure compressing the gas, you would have to make a multitude of very long decompression stops on your way up or you would simply explode at some point.

And just to put in perspective, the last few years we dove, we used a shallow water mixed gas called nitrox because it lessened the chance of subclinical and clinical nitrogen narcosis (the bends), as well as you were able to make more dives and were less fatigued after you dove. A tank at 30-45 feet would last me about 2 to 2.5 hours. At 100-120 feet, that same tank would last 20 to 30 minutes, plus you had to make decompression stops on the way back up so had to save enough air for them.

Not for all the tea in China would I even get in there, much less go in deep water with it!! I think I've seen enough pics of the Titanic online & on TV to know what it looks like. It's been said that the thing has gone on many diving's there, & that it was pretty well worn. It's also been said that, & this is a terrible shame, that people have to die to make some things work better!! I guess going to the dentist to have teeth pulled isn't so bad. That there was tragic & so sad!!! :eek: :bolt:

Reactions: Doc

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
on many diving's there, & that it was pretty well worn. It's also been said that, & this is a terrible shame, that people have to die to make some things work better!! I
There's no such thing as "many diving's." If you are going to write something, use the correct terminology.

The submersible was operating independently of ANY governmental regulations at all, and I don't mean just U.S. regs. The adult passengers knew this, as did the pilot. Those people took their lives in their own hands and knew the risks. I feel sorry for the 19 year old young man, and his family, who really didn't want to go and was pressured to do so by his own father.

Of course there will be changes now. No one will be fool enough to put blind faith in promises by any company, which then makes them sign away all their rights which really can't be done under U.S. law anyway.

The Titan company is done. I bet we'll be seeing a bankruptcy filing shortly.

Every time you dive underwater to a depth that you cannot ascend from on just 1 breath, you take your life in your own hands by trusting your air tanks, your regulator at the tank interface and your mouthpiece, and the person who last serviced them, and certainly, last but not least, the compressor that filled your air tank, and the person(s) who serviced the compressor and filled your air tank, especially if using mixed gas. A lot of people wouldn't dive if they knew just how much could go wrong at the compressor level and tank filling if proper procedures aren't followed, which was Craig's profession. If you are on a commercial dive boat, you trust the captain and crew to make sure you are on board before they leave. If you are diving with a buddy, which is a standard safety practice, you trust them to make sure you stay together and they don't leave you in a potentially bad situation. When I was learning to dive, pre Craig, my buddy ran out of air. If I hadn't been there to share my regulator, then....

Plus, crap happens underwater. Craig and I hunted when we dove, lobster when in season, and fish all the time via spear gun. One time, he was in front of me and I saw lobster antennae under a very large coral head. I whistled the high pitched signal we used as an alert, but he DIDN'T HEAR so went on his merry way. I didn't realize this as I had immediately climbed under the coral head. Got the lobster and was backing out when my tank caught on the bottom of the coral head. Tried again, caught again. I'll admit, I panicked, but after a minute or so got hold of myself telling myself he obviously wasn't around since he wasn't helping and I needed to save myself. All I had to do was a big exhale, which made me sink a bit, and pull myself down with my hands and back out, which worked perfectly. We both ended up surfacing, he was about 100 feet in front of me. Lesson learned, make sure your buddy acknowledges you if you give an alert, and make sure you check on your buddy behind you rather than assume they are fine. I still blame Craig for that one though as he was an instructor's instructor in diving. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
There's no such thing as "many diving's." If you are going to write something, use the correct terminology.

The submersible was operating independently of ANY governmental regulations at all, and I don't mean just U.S. regs. The adult passengers knew this, as did the pilot. Those people took their lives in their own hands and knew the risks. I feel sorry for the 19 year old young man and his family who really didn't want to go and was pressured to do so by his own father.

Of course there will be changes now. No one will be fool enough to put blind faith in promises by any company, which then makes them sign away all their rights which really can't be done under U.S. law anyway.

The Titan company is done. I bet we'll be seeing a bankruptcy filing shortly.

Who are you to correct my speech?! :bolt:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Same goes for private companies offering trips into outer space. I would not go on a free one let alone pay 250k to go on a death ride. No way.
And going back to 1912, that was a watery grave for all those who had died while the Titanic was sinking. Some of the bodies were probably never found!! I think that area is cursed, & anyone trying to go there they don't come back!! You stand a better chance of being alive by not going at all!!! They should just leave it alone. it is sacred land. Just like when all those innocent people who died on 09-11. The spot where the Twin Towers once stood, the State or New York & the city had ordered that no buildings can be put on those 2 spots. :eek: :bolt:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I think he made the movie first to fund his dives. But not positive. I didn't know he did a dive to the Mariana trench.
We are both half right. He had inspriation to make the movie first. But wanted to visit first so that he portrayed things correctly. He visited in 1995 and made the movie in 97.

Behind Cameron’s motivation to make the film was his desire to dive down to the wreckage, which was discovered in 1985. “The Titanic was the Mount Everest of shipwrecks, and as a diver I wanted to do it right. When I learned some other guys had dived to the Titanic to make an IMAX movie, I said, ‘I’ll make a Hollywood movie to pay for an expedition and do the same thing.’ I loved that first taste, and I wanted more,” Cameron said, per CNN.

The filmmaker made his first trip in 1995 in order to capture footage for the 1997 box office smash, which went on to win 11 Oscars.

He has even written a book about his experiences, Exploring The Deep, which includes his dive journey, photos and maps from his own explorations of the wreck.

Shermie

Site Supporter
An investigation is now underway as to what exactly was the cause of the implosion that tragically killed the 5 occupants of the submersible as it was nearing the Titanic!! :eek: