Console Gaming Question (Poll)

Which Console Game?

• Total voters

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Good description of Wii play, Doc.

Keltin, I agree that the XBox 360 is the best platform for pure gaming. But I respectfully disagree with some of your assessment of the Wii. I have all 3 systems so I don't have a bias. While it would be ludicrous for parents to buy a Wii as a replacement for kids getting outside and off their butts - the Wii does deliver in it's goal to make gaming an active sport for kids. Yep, you can flick your wrist to trick the remote, but I've never seen anyone but tired adults do that. Even my older kids are jumping around when we're playing Wii games. Despite the relatively crude graphics, the look and feel of most of the games really does draw you in and you automatically get up and move.

Bowling is a blast and even though I can just sit and flick my wrist, I never do unless I'm on the bazillionth game of that day! Plus, with 4 people playing, we would have paid for the Wii in a couple of days vs paying at a bowling alley. (Not that I don't love to go bowling - it's just really expensive with all my kids and their friends.)

BTW, Doc, I got Wii Resort and it's very cool. Not a huge difference in play but definitely an enhancement. It makes the controller more sensitive and they have a bowling game that is almost exactly like the first one, but with the enhancements to the controller, it's even better. The swordplay game is fantastic - Fisher's favorite. I've played it quite a bit now and I like the sword things as much as the bowling.

With all due respect, but anyone that doesn’t know how to flick the Wii to trick or master it is, well, “less than” in the gaming world. To believe you have to flail your arms is only encouraging a false belief in electronics. It’s nothig more than a couple of transducers in that remote. To believe that you need to do anything more than a flick is to:

1. Buy into the gaming hack (thus sell more)
2. Not understand electronics at all

Failing on either one leads to ignorance of a system…..failing on both is ignorance complete of electronics. Next thing you know we’ll be saying lightening is done because Zeus got mad.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
You should just sell your gear since you obviously aren't getting any "serious excercise" out of it.

Come on BS, do you bench, or do you just b*tch. What're your numbers. How ya doing on the bench and bent row? What's your squat? Or is the BS acronymn the proper way to refer to you?
:bonk:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Great point, Keltin. If you already have a PS2, most of those games will play well on the PS3.

Depends on which model you get. They meant to emulate the PS1/PS2 in S/W, and ran out pf time. So the initial PS3s had the Emotion engine built in….full hardware.

So basically, every PS3 you bought in the early days had a full PS2 (hardware) built in as well. It’s one reason it was so expensive.

They’ve stopped doing that now, and they tried a half-ass S/W emulation that may or may not play 50% of the PS2 games and 25% pf the PS1 games. And even when it does run, it’s crap due to scaling. So good luck.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoCD9TwLrVs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoCD9TwLrVs[/ame]

Although, Sony is STILL working on it and hopes to get it right eventually.

September 22, 2009 - In June it had been reported that Sony was developing a Emotion Engine emulator, which would utilize the PS3's existing processors to run PlayStation 2 software code. In other words, Sony would be capable of making all PS3 consoles backwards compatible via firmware update.
http://gear.ign.com/articles/102/1027416p1.html

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Good description of Wii play, Doc.

Yep, you can flick your wrist to trick the remote, but I've never seen anyone but tired adults do that. Even my older kids are jumping around when we're playing Wii games. Despite the relatively crude graphics, the look and feel of most of the games really does draw you in and you automatically get up and move.

Check out our gaming channel. Our gamers are rated in the top 10% of the world. Here is a video of one of our top tier fight-gamers doing a No-Hit run on a Boss battle in the Wii game – MadWorld. Notice all of the onscreen displays for wild motions.

Yeah…….a flick of the wrist (no jumping and flopping on the couch) and he whooped the game perfectly. And he’s only in his 20s....not such a tired adult......just smart and good at what he does.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEjTXD8D7Bw&feature=PlayList&p=FE5D3CA510724180&index=5[/ame]

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I play on the PC - thats enough for me.

I remember being a teenager and having this old tape based system, taking forver to load the game and very simple controls.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
and .. the wii fit is a really good fun way to get kids to off their butt ..
my sons karate school said that the wii fit is based around working on your
core strength .. and my son takes speech therapy .. they also suggested it ..
so we make a family thing out of it a couple times a week ..

In the fitness world saying “core” is a sure way to get a fight started. It is a term that is so mis-used and mis-understood….and everyone from Ron Popeil to Billy Mays is slinging around the new buzz-word of “core” training, or “core” strength.

It’s crap.

Look to basic physiology and you see that “core” is nothing more than abdominal and spinal muscles. The muscles that keep you balanced 98% of your waking day. Just getting out of bed “works your core”. Just walking anywhere at all “works your core”.

The fact that we can stand up and walk on 2 legs is a tribute to our “core”.

When you train and do exercise of any fashion, the “core” is ALWAYS involved……otherwise you’d be lying on the ground. Anyone that tells you that you need to “work your core” is either horribly confused about physiology, or trying to sell you something.

I’m horribly saddened that a Martial Arts instructor would utter such profanity….unless, of course, they are shysters looking to shine on the client and get some money.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I play on the PC - thats enough for me.

I remember being a teenager and having this old tape based system, taking forver to load the game and very simple controls.

Sounds like a Commodore 64.....great system and one that really broke new ground.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
But I understand the idea of wanting to flop the Wii remote like you’re really doing something. It’s part of the fantasy. It’s like believing in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. It’s fun in a juvenile sort of way – it really is. And being able to escape to that is surely nice.

I’m just in too deep to do that anymore. I know too much about electronics, and after 3 years in the gaming industry, the magic is gone unless I try real hard. These days, it’s facts and figures please.

It’s like someone saying we need to do a rain-dance and magical prayer to water the lawn…..uh, no……just turn the sprinkler on.

BTW – The PS3 has motion control as well. It’s part of the 6-axis controller. Works the same as the Wii, but few games take advantage of it. One notable game was Heavenly Sword that did a decent job incorporating it. Kill Zone 2 also used it.

Love2"Q"

In the fitness world saying “core” is a sure way to get a fight started. It is a term that is so mis-used and mis-understood….and everyone from Ron Popeil to Billy Mays is slinging around the new buzz-word of “core” training, or “core” strength.

It’s crap.

Look to basic physiology and you see that “core” is nothing more than abdominal and spinal muscles. The muscles that keep you balanced 98% of your waking day. Just getting out of bed “works your core”. Just walking anywhere at all “works your core”.

The fact that we can stand up and walk on 2 legs is a tribute to our “core”.

When you train and do exercise of any fashion, the “core” is ALWAYS involved……otherwise you’d be lying on the ground. Anyone that tells you that you need to “work your core” is either horribly confused about physiology, or trying to sell you something.

I’m horribly saddened that a Martial Arts instructor would utter such profanity….unless, of course, they are shysters looking to shine on the client and get some money.

i am pretty sure the physical therapist my son sees twice a week
has a pretty good grasp on what core strength is ...
but thanks for your wonderful description ..
i understand just sitting upright works your core ..
but some people need a bit more than that ..