CHICKEN PECAN QUICHE

Jim54

20120209_0165_edited-1.jpg

Introduction:

This is a simple and very easy recipe. I loved the filling but not so much the crust. It is hard to describe the taste. I am not sure what the problem is but it does need to be adjusted. Anyhow, here is the recipe. Any suggestions about the crust?

Ingredients:

1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3 large eggs
2 cups cooked chicken breast, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/4 cup green bell pepper
1/4 cup red bell pepper
Black pepper
1/4 cup pecan halves

Directions:

Crust:
  1. Combine flour, 1 cup cheese, chopped pecans, salt and paprika in a bowl and mix well. Add oil and combine until well mixed. Press firmly onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9" deep pie dish.
  2. Bake at 350F for 12-15 minute
s. Set it aside to cool thoroughly

Filling:
  1. Combine sour cream, broth, mayo, and eggs. Mix until smooth
  2. Add chicken, 1/2 cup cheese, dill, black pepper and bell peppers
  3. Pour chicken mixture into the crust. Place pecan halves on the surface of the chicken mixture
  4. Bake at 350F for 55-60 min until set. Let it cool about 10 minutes before serving.

20120209_0172_edited-1.jpg

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
goodness, that looks & sounds great! thx for offering pix/recipe!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Jim, what a brilliant idea! It looks and sounds fantastic!

Was this your own creation, or did you start with a recipe?

Maybe butter instead of oil in the crust? We'll have to wait until Mama or JoeV or one of the other bakers comes on, since I don't have much to offer in the field of baked goods.

Beautiful job!

Lee

Jim54

Was this your own creation, or did you start with a recipe?

Lee

You give me too much credit :yum: The basic idea I found on the Internet. I cannot find it again or I would give them credit. The crust is unchanged from the original. I did do some changes to the filling. I added the bell peppers mostly for some color and the black pepper just because. One thing the I forgot to include in the above recipe is a few drops (3-5) of hot sauce. The peppers and hot sauce give the dish a Mexican type flavor in my opinion.

I was thinking about leaving the pecans totally out. Of course, I would have to change the name :whistling:. It is possible the it is just the slide sweetness from the nuts that I think is off.

Thanks of the input.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>the crust

the oil is a definite suspect - I've never liked/cared for crusts based on oil.
butter or lard, or a 50-50 combo. works for me

the cheese could be another potential. cheddar melts readily - and has a lot of oil/fat in it - and varies by brand/type/no-low--norm fat. with a fairly liquidity / heat absorbing filling, could make for a dense crust - it "melts" but doesn't reach a temp that would allow it to incorporate into the flourly part of the dough.

perhaps you could try making the crust without the grated cheese, then liberally sprinkling it on the (bottom of the) crust before adding the filling.

a trick I use for nuts is to freeze them, then pulverize to near flour consistency in the blender/food processor. I think it brings a lot more nut flavor to the crust than the chopping - or even mincing 'as fine as possible'