Another plane crash

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I'm watching. Originally reported as a Pilatus PC 12 with 17 killed. That plane normally seats nine. WTF

Other versions of Pilatus planes are used a lot in Alaska for charters. Very reliable.

Cripes - and now a FedEx just crunched in Japan. WTF, over.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Mister Great President Reagan for breaking the backs of the traffic controller union instead of doing what they mainly wanted even over a pay raise and less hours, to upgrade the airline system which was then behind the times. Oh it is still the same system.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Just watched the Japan videos - they're saying wind but I'm saying bull shit. They bounced it and whoever was at the controls pushed the nose over and they hit on the nose gear. All hell must have broken loose in the cockpit for about 3 three seconds - and then death. If this mother was only manned by two pilots instead of three (for a rest break) they were asking for it. Sorry for me to say that the founder of FedEx was a Marine fighter pilot like yours truly but the asshole eventually turned against the pilot union - frick'n greed.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes like Unions are a bad thing right, Not. Unions gave this country its middle class and most non union people don't understand is as wages and rights went up due to them even if they didn't belong to one. At any rate we also stopped regulating the airlines so how has that worked out for air safety. I would sure like to see if there is a correlation between deregulation and air disasters like financial institutes. If any one knows of such a study please post it.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Mister Great President Reagan for breaking the backs of the traffic controller union instead of doing what they mainly wanted even over a pay raise and less hours, to upgrade the airline system which was then behind the times. Oh it is still the same system.

Joe - this has nothing to do with Air Traffic Control.

On close inspection it was a DC-10 manufactured in the late 60's or early 70's. That has nothing to do with it however. From what I see it was pure pilot error. I hate to see this as it was a needless accident. Shit!

Calicolady

Oh dear God, not again. Thanks for posting, Lefty. But guys, no politics please. You think the families care about that right now?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You missed my point Buzz, the air traffic controllers was the beginning, followed by pilots and other unions including construction among many others. That was the beginning of the union busting that still goes on with the auto industry currently under the gun.

Now as for pilot error have causes such as too many hours in the air, less bodies in than needed in cockpit with proper training all in the name of saving money. The end result is the same people die needlessly in accidents that could of possibly been prevented.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Oh dear God, not again. Thanks for posting, Lefty. But guys, no politics please. You think the families care about that right now?

CL, this isn't politics any more than it's an accident. It's a crash. Come to think of it, I've never seen an aircraft "accident".

joec

Gold Site Supporter

No problem Cali, I will drop it and wasn't worried about a personal attack from Buzz in any way shape or form and I'm sure he feels the same way. At any rate I will bow out of this one for sure.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
No problem Cali, I will drop it and wasn't worried about a personal attack from Buzz in any way shape or form and I'm sure he feels the same way. At any rate I will bow out of this one for sure.

Never a problem Joe. I agree with you. This crash was probably one tired pilot making one big mistake and may or may not have had anything to do with contracts. The law is, or was (hey - I'm out of there now) that any flight scheduled for more than 8 hours gate to gate requires a third cockpit crewmember so everyone can get a rest break. And I've got some stories about that regulation and what I did to piss my employer off.......

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It makes you think when you see planes come down for reasons of pilot error as it seems to me to be more common over the last decade or so world wide. Now if the reports on the one in Montana are correct that might just be another type of error over loaded plane which again shouldn't happen. The one in the Hudson River is an understandable as it really was a force of nature that caused it. It also reminds me of the one right here in Lexington Kentucky about a 1.5 years ago where traffic controllers where short handed and sent a plane down the wrong run way to all but the copilots death due to it being too short for take off.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
It makes you think when you see planes come down for reasons of pilot error as it seems to me to be more common over the last decade or so world wide. Now if the reports on the one in Montana are correct that might just be another type of error over loaded plane which again shouldn't happen. The one in the Hudson River is an understandable as it really was a force of nature that caused it. It also reminds me of the one right here in Lexington Kentucky about a 1.5 years ago where traffic controllers where short handed and sent a plane down the wrong run way to all but the copilots death due to it being too short for take off.

Pilot error is not on the rise. It's always been about the same.

The Comair crash in Lexington was pilot error if I recall correctly. The pilots were issued the correct runway but in the fog lined up and tried to take off on the shorter R/W which was beyond the limits of the A/C. Once again, pilot error.

Sorry to keep saying it the way it is and not protect the pilots but I never bull shit. You already know that.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes that is the last I heard about it on national news which stopped covering it months ago. However the local news here which is still covering it says it was due to the runway lights not being on the proper runway, which traffic control actually controls according to them. Now the question according to current local reports are correct then is it due either to a circuit problem caused by the airport remodeling going on at the time or the fact that air traffic was 2 men understaffed and the one man working it had done a 10 hour shift. That is based on the latest news I've heard on the car radio just recently. Also that survivors are naming the co pilot in their law suites as well as the airport and airlines.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Exactly, Trish!

However, I have heard tale that planes have not been maintained either and despite that have been allowed to fly.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Exactly, Trish!

However, I have heard tale that planes have not been maintained either and despite that have been allowed to fly.

Nope, nothing new there. The situation is about the same as always. Usually the screw ups have been paperwork snafus. Required maintenance is scheduled months in advance by the major airlines. However, a small, struggling, cash poor airline might be a different matter but it's beyond my knowledge base.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Buzz. You don't know how reassuring you are because I am setting my ducks in a row to go to S. Fla soon. Definitely sometime in April.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
How awful! The plane in Montana had a dozen children on board, ages 6 - 10. Their poor parents.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Buzz, I'm not asking for recommendations of specific airlines but.... when you travel by air, how do you choose what airline or what type of plane to fly in?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Buzz, I'm not asking for recommendations of specific airlines but.... when you travel by air, how do you choose what airline or what type of plane to fly in?

Price first, convenience second. Although I get free travel on my former employer's company, it is standby and the flights have become too crowded these past few years. I only fly non-revenue standby when there are lots of open seats. At least I have access to the reservations system so I know exactly what the pax loads are in advance.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
LOL - That's what I do, too. I was just wondering if you think a certain type of commercial aircraft is safer or if the age of the plane matters or if you smell the pilot's breath or something.

I sometimes use the following in my signature:

If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going

Ooooh. Don't smell a pilot's breath. Ya never know what you'll find......