a week without booze

GrillinFool

I'm giving it up for Lent. This will be the second time I have done it. Did it about 6 years ago and didn't have a drop for the entire time plus a couple of days...

suziquzie

I'm on week 3. Never fails, I cut back for awhile and I drop 5 lbs instantly.
:)
I'm not quitting quitting, but maybe just once or twice a week.

Rusty Shackleford

Formerly known as 1 bourbon 1 scotch & 1 beer
I'm on week 3. Never fails, I cut back for awhile and I drop 5 lbs instantly.
:)
I'm not quitting quitting, but maybe just once or twice a week.

thats good! i figured that assuming i can do this, LOL, ill do it once a month. one week a month, no alkehalls.

GrillinFool

good idea! glad to hear it worked :thumb:

It will be harder this year. First, my birthday is during lent. As is St. Patty's day - My wife's family and some of their friends sponsor a float every year that I am a part of, and maybe the toughest is the Cardinals Home opener is during Lent too I think. Living in St. Louis, the home opener is like a state holiday. This will be my 11th straight year going. I once started a new job the week prior to the opener and told them I needed that day off. The told me I wouldn't have any vacay accrued yet. Told them I couldn't take the job then. They let me take a half day so I took the job.

The year I did the last time Lent started after my B-Day and I didn't know my wife yet so the St. Patty's day deal was not a big problem.

Rusty Shackleford

actually i am doing it to prove i can, lol. i enjoy drinking, but i dont believe that i am addicted to it. and seeing as i drink somewhat regularly, i can prove to myself and my g/f that i am indeed not addicted to drinking.

Wart

Banned
actually i am doing it to prove i can, lol. i enjoy drinking, but i dont believe that i am addicted to it. and seeing as i drink somewhat regularly, i can prove to myself and my g/f that i am indeed not addicted to drinking.

Since this is a serious thread,

Your need to prove something to yourself (and your GF, Is she concerned?) indicates you have a problem with alcohol.

Knowing you'll go back to 'it' in 5 days is the carrot that will allow you to keep off of 'it'. And in 5 days you'll use 7 days of sobriety as proof that you don't have a problem.

I know of that which I write.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I totally agree with Wart. If you need to "prove you can do it", you may well have a problem.

Y

YT2095

I thought the OP was on Penecillin or summat at 1`st.
good luck with it dude! ;)

I normally quit when on antibiotics and when I quit cigarettes this year I had to cut out booze coz it makes me want a cig.

I did 5 weeks, and now take Snuff and smoke a pipe with a glass of port *sigh*
at least there`s no cigs though ;)

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I thought the OP was on Penecillin or summat at 1`st.
good luck with it dude! ;)

I normally quit when on antibiotics and when I quit cigarettes this year I had to cut out booze coz it makes me want a cig.

I did 5 weeks, and now take Snuff and smoke a pipe with a glass of port *sigh*
at least there`s no cigs though ;)

:huh:

Wart

Banned
It's only fair for me to share a bit.

If I'm not an alcoholic I was sure as hell heading in that direction.

And I played silly assed games too.

It took an incident for me to say enough, and that was a year last August.

I'm 50, partook of the 70's and 80's culture, and the only things that got a hook in me are/were alcohol and nicotine.

Still on that damned nicotine.

Last edited:

The Tourist

Banned
I, too, hope this is a serious thread.

And my advice to you is that if this a serious, noticeable and difficult transition for you, perhaps you should discard the bottle at the other end of lent, as well.

My Mom was haunted by liquor her entire life. As many of you know, she was downing a bottle of gin per day before my Dad, the enabler, stepped in and got her to detox/rehab.

And while I don't have her intense thirst for booze (I would guess it's six months since I had a sip--and I mean 1/2 of a shot) I often wonder if subconscioulsy I fear the boogeyman.

One of my biker friends opined that his sobriety saved him a ton of money on blue jeans and road maps.

Just one of the many benefits of not waking up face down on a strange street without your pants...

Rusty Shackleford

well i dont see me as being addicted to it, as i dont follow a normal regimen. i dont have that beer every night, or that daily shot, just when i want one. which is never every day. i dont drink much during the week other than a maybe a beer once in a while, or a rum/coke. tho during the weekends, i normally drink friday and saturday nights. maybe one on sunday sometimes. ive already gone a 5-day week without a beer or anything, not even realizing it. but weekends are a different story, i like to have a few then.

GrillinFool

I try to give up something for lent every year that I enjoy. One year I gave up sex of any kind. Weather with someone else or not if you get my meaning. The last couple of years it has been spending any kind of money on myself. Did it two years in a row because the first year I bought something for myself. Cardinals home opener in 2006 at the new stadium I bought a lanyard for my ticket for $10. Didn't think about till after I bought it. So I did it again in 2007. Can't remember what I did last year.

I'm sacrificing something I enjoy not trying to prove anything. I'm sacrificing for religious beliefs and not some change in lifestyle.

One year I decided to stop cussing for Lent. I lasted 4 minutes into my morning commute. Now that was more of a lifestyle change. One that has been changed but not because of Lent because I have a toddler who I know is learning a new language right now!!! I thought I would try to keep that language out for as long as possible

Rusty Shackleford

well thats good. i really should do lent, but i always forget unfortunatley. i really am not following my roots very well at all

The Tourist

Banned
I too have made sacrifices, coming from a very staid home of catholics.

I gave up lent for lent. And true to my word I have kept that vow for over 41 years.

I think the true purpose of self-sacrifice (at any time) is simply that there is proof positive we don't actually need the things we feel are essential.

Sometimes I wish to cling to an object, and it almost has to be pried from my hands out of sheer selfishness.

Strangely, once the object is gone, so is my lust for the thing.

If spirituality is important to you, consider a tithe. That's a 'gift,' as well.

GrillinFool

Strangely, once the object is gone, so is my lust for the thing.

This is the way I feel about Lent. I have found that if I am successful in denying myself something for Lent I have less desire for it on the other side. Drinking too much is a bad thing. Doing less of that is good. Spending too much is a bad thing. Spending less is good...Sort of a lesson in moderation and at the same time sacrificing something of myself because Christ sacrificed for me.

I also have an issue with dispensations. So like whatever you sacrifice you can do that on Sundays or when the Pope allows people to eat meat because St. Patty's day is on a Friday (corned beef). It's supposed to be a sacrifice and not an inconvenience...

If spirituality is important to you, consider a tithe. That's a 'gift,' as well.
I do this already. Not a full 10% but I hope to get there some day.

BTW, want to know what is ironic in this whole thing. I'm not even Catholic

The Tourist

Banned
I'm not even Catholic

Neither am I, my Mom was. Sadly my Dad openly professed to be a 'heathen' and I am a Christian.

Might seem that those elements are at a juxtaposition. I don't see why being a Christian means you have to be gullible or give into tyranny or bullies.

One of my church elders called me on this once. I reminded him that no matter how much my attacker may suffer, I always pray for his speedy healing.

Besides, if you read and study, The Word admonishes you to seek being part of "the remnant." You should hear the static I get when I opine that the guy standing next to me at the end of time might be a muslim, or an Apache.

Wart

Banned
well i dont see me as being addicted to it, as i dont follow a normal regimen. i dont have that beer every night, or that daily shot, just when i want one. which is never every day. i dont drink much during the week other than a maybe a beer once in a while, or a rum/coke. tho during the weekends, i normally drink friday and saturday nights. maybe one on sunday sometimes. ive already gone a 5-day week without a beer or anything, not even realizing it. but weekends are a different story, i like to have a few then.

Sounds familiar.

The Tourist

Banned
A week without booze is like a week without air...

I'd have to agree.

My Mom finally quit drinking, and there is no air--in the urn.

DSC00409.jpg