Zucchini Gratin

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well I got the first zucchini off the bush in my yard this week. It was a bit large being 18" long, about 4.5" dia. at the widest part of the fruit and at the smallest end about 3" in dia. It weighed close to 4 lbs. It was really hidden in the bush and didn't notice it or would of picked it much sooner. At any rate I tried the following recipe using just this one zucchini and will say this will be used again for sure. It was extremely tasty and served it as a side for some country ribs. The recipe calls for 6 however this one was actually larger than 6 normal zucchini so I went with it. I did have to cut the slices though in half again.

Neely's Zucchini Gratin - The Neelys

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
6 zucchini, sliced into half moons 1/4-inch thick
2 plum tomatoes, chopped and seeded
1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup grated sharp white Cheddar
1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Butter an 8 by 8-inch casserole dish.

In a large heavy bottomed saute pan over medium heat, melt butter. Saute onion and garlic until translucent. Add zucchini and tomatoes, about 7 minutes Add thyme, and flour. Season with salt and pepper. Add mixture to the buttered casserole dish.

In a medium size bowl, add brown sugar, eggs, and half-and-half. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the milk mixture over the zucchini and sprinkle with both of the cheeses. Bake for 30 minutes.

Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 45 min
4 to 6 servings

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Have 4 big ones like that on the counter now. Will have to try this recipe. I sure could use pictures instead of all the big words......:yum:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Have 4 big ones like that on the counter now. Will have to try this recipe. I sure could use pictures instead of all the big words......:yum:

Sorry partner, my grand daughter has borrowed my camera for a few weeks. I did peal the zucchini for mine due mostly because of the size. I wouldn't for the normal zucchini though but this large the skin is tough.

Here is a video on the site http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/neelys-zucchini-gratin-recipe/index.html

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Wife just put a zucchini lasagna in the oven. We shall see how it turns out. With using the zucchini instead of noodles it will be more of a casserole I think.

Ian M.

Joe - This dish looks so good. As a rule, I could never stand to watch the Neeleys doing their thing but this was well worth the watching - the tasting is even better!
Thanks for sharing it.

Ian M.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Joe, that dish sounds great!

I bet that one T of brown sugar takes out any bitterness that may be in the zucchini. Excellent idea!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Joe - This dish looks so good. As a rule, I could never stand to watch the Neeleys doing their thing but this was well worth the watching - the tasting is even better!
Thanks for sharing it.

Ian M.

I've never watched their show so have no opinion on them but did like the looks of this recipe so gave it a try. I found it to be good enough to do again for sure.