Why do people trust scientists???

Wart

Banned
I see over and over a lot of people that don't believe scientists when they come out and say a certain food source should be limited in consumption. The reason is usually something like, you're going to die anyway why not eat what you want.

Yet when scientists fast track a vaccine, people flock to get it, so they are "saved" from a flu pandemic. Why wouldn't these same people use the same reasoning...you're going to die anyway. Or why would these people trust the scientists and undergo chemo therapy for cancer, when they are going to die anyway.

I'm curious about this line of reasoning.

For part one, eating "bad foods" are an abstract. It's differed, not going to get them today.

IE: We're having a late brunch, I have a pound of sausage slow cooking in the iron skillet. Potatoes cooking in another skillet. When the sausage is done I'm making over easy eggs in the sausage grease. Or making gravy. Still flipping a coin.

It's not going to kill me today, but coupled with last weeks brunch, and next weeks brunch, and the next and the next, it may kill me in a decade.

Death or even feeling physically bad isn't a concern.

As for part 2, vaccines, we trust scientists because of little things like Penicillin and the Polio Vaccine, and how someone can get the vaccination then be exposed to the pathogen and not catch the disease, or get a Dose and have the Syph go away.

CharlieD

Speaking of death and research:

A scientist, who’s doing a research, goes around asking a question. He comes up on this one man.

What would you like to die from, sir, diarrhea or syphilis? Of course syphilis, man answers.

But why, sir, it is an incredible painful death?

If I die I’d rather die as a man not a pants pooper.

phreak

Oh - and to stay on topic - I don't know if I think coed dorms promote sex. People have been having a lot of sex since the beginning of time. They always seem to find a way.

I got lucky with more chicks that lived in segregated dorms than the coed dorm that I lived in, but then again I did live by the rule don't shit in your own backyard.

I totally agree that it is the media that exaggerates studies and doesn't give all of the important info. I guess the head line "Butter WILL KILL YOU!!!" story at 6 catches more attention than, "Butter, if eaten in excess, maybe a contributing factor to increased coronary blah blah blah, but scientists say that more studies conducted over a longer period of time are needed to verify the preliminary studies results, story at 6"

My second cousin Walter Willett is a pretty smart guy who is probably one of the foremost nutrition researcher in the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Willett
Check out some of his studies/papers/books if you are interested in real information from real peer reviewed studies conducted over a long period of time.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I heard sex can kill you...:whistling:

It can if you run in front of a bus in a hurry to get some. Then there is the case of the of a deer in South Carolina tried to jump over my car on the turnpike giving my car its name, The Deer Slayer. :unsure:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I got lucky with more chicks that lived in segregated dorms than the coed dorm that I lived in, but then again I did live by the rule don't shit in your own backyard.
Exactly - read the Bible. There was a heck of a lot of sex going on even then - when the penalty for women was stoning!