Who's in charge in your kitchen?

What kind of control do you exert?

• Hey - I'm just there for the food.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I'm the helper and Fran appreciates my efforts. She is the chef though and I try to stay out of her way until called upon. :)

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I had to check other.

My wife prepares most weekend meals, I prepare most during the week.

As far as who's in charge, the dogs think they are!

Jim

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I voted for "other". Either I cook, or DR does. By ourselves, for but both of us.

On Thanksgiving, I bring the appetizers and my stepmother cooks the rest of the meal, with my Dad's and my help. She's the Alpha on that one!

Lee

Leni

My kitchen is a 1952 gallery style one. It has all of 9 linear feet of counter space. It's way too small to have more than one person in it or we are bumping into one another.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I had to check other.

My wife prepares most weekend meals, I prepare most during the week.

As far as who's in charge, the dogs think they are!

Jim

I understand that Jim! I've got three under-foot while I'm cooking all the time! lol

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
I'm in charge and greatly appreciate the help. Especially with carving, heavy pots, dishes.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I did most of the cooking. I still cook the meals for weekends and company and some weekdays. DW was downsized last December and makes the weekday meals. In addition, she is starting a cold process soap business and uses the counter space for that. It has been a good thing, because she scrubs everything immaculate and disinfects prior to production and after. While we always kept a clean kitchen, now it is super sano.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
DW did the first 35 years, and i agreed to do the next 35. I guess I spend the most time in the kitchen, but she's always there to throw together one of her "go-to" meals when needed. Christmas it's MY kitchen, and she's the Entertainment Director for the day.

High Cheese

Saucier
The wife and I share the cooking, usually either she cooks the whole dinner or I do. I ask for help doing crap I don't like: making side salad or boiling water for pasta. lol

Typically, I don't like having people in the kitchen with me. They either get in the way or take my mind off concentration.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I love it when someone asks, "What can I do to help you?" One chore that always gets given to the asker is...fill the glasses with ice. So I appreciate the help and don't really mind someone else in the kitchen with me as long as they're helping. I don't like the gawkers who just want to watch and always seem to be standing right in front of where I need to get.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My wife and I do all of the cooking usually together. I do the cutting and prep she handles the rest. We share the dishes etc. Now it is just my wife and I so it is really pretty easy for both of us.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I read it, SS.

I'm pretty easy-going, so if I've been invited to Marney's house, I'd follow instructions without offense.

If I wanted to have a turn at Thanksgiving at MY house, I'd be a whole lot more lax!

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i suppose it varies w/ the people, the situation.
i read the article- personally, i'd make the particulary food she preferred her way; it is her kitchen.

during holidays, most of us contribute to the dinners although in the same kitchen & not here; & we make the most of being w/ each other we rarely see. cluttery kitchen 'er not.

now, here, in my kitchen, my woman-cave, whole 'nother situatiation. if u enter & u get in my way, it's not a pretty situation. if i have guests that wanna chit-chat, i show 'em to the table, get the wine & let the pouring begin. & if u use it while i'm not using it, it damned well better be unscathed when i enter it. jake knew to stay in his man cave & be quiet 99% of the time in the years we were together while i cooked
smart of him

at school we worked together on some stuff though not much- showing someone how to's, prepping tedious/monotonus ingredients- spinach being common-, or taking over washing dishes while another looked in on thier food, critiquing items together.

@ work, not so much. nomatter where i've cooked, it was kinda to each his own-

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Bless Marney's little heart. She must not know how terribly tacky her little letter is. :mrgreen: She sounds like a control freak. I'm surprised that she didn't add a paragraph about the proper attire for the grand occasion.

I am in charge of my kitchen. I have taught others how to cook, under my supervision, but not too comfortable with turning my kitchen over to others. However, I wouldn't mind having a personal chef come in now & then ;-)

Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Just curious - did anyone read the article in the link? If you did, what's your take on 'Marney'?
Shame on me, as I followed the lead of others without reading the original links. That being said, I follow directions to a "T" when asked to bring something to a family event, and do so out of respect for the person sponsoring said food-centered event. The success or failure at the end of the day will rest on the shoulders of the sponsor, and should not be affected by the egos of those who have asked or were ordered to bring something. When it's YOUR event, then YOU can call the shots. Until then, let the host/hostess call the shots. After all, you are a guest in their home, even if you are related by blood or marriage. If you can't accept that, then you will probably dampen the day as you have done for many years in the past.:yum::yum::bonk: