Who's been to Paris?

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
DD has. Be polite and smile. Learn some basic French phrases. Craig has been in Marsaille for work for a week or so. Same things worked for him. Don't order andouillette though unless you like offal parts. It is DEFINITELY not mini andouille sausage.

Have a safe and wonderful trip!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was there in 1971, when I was 17. I'm sure that many things have changed since then, except for the historic landmarks.

I loved it all! The French men were very interested in us as Americans, but probably because we were high school girls. Our French teacher accompanied us, and wouldn't allow us any wine, but I bet it's wonderful.

Three culinary items stood out, and I've never forgotten them: the croissants, the butter, and the cafe au lait we had at every breakfast were spectaclar! I've never been able to find any of the three, especially the butter, that can compare.

Au revoir et bon voyage!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've been twice. First time was mid 80's and another time in the 90's. We loved it. After the first visit, you'll want to go back again. The food and the wine were memorable. I'm kind of an artsy person, so I really enjoyed Montmartre (sp??).

This is pretty important: Stay in a hotel with a little history and charm. When we were there, the elevators in those places were tiny, but you just have to get into the spirit to get the true French experience.

Go to the opera for sure. I remember people staring at my shoes :mrgreen: on the subway. I had on sling-back pumps, which I thought were normal. The Parisians have probably become more accustomed to American dress by now.

Have fun!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I would love to go to Paris. Hoping for a few pics once you return home.
I've been to France. Toulon, France. And to Barcelona Spain. Enjoyed both immensely, but I know they cannot compaire to Paris. Have fun.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
using the Metro is the best way of getting around - there are multi-day, all-you-can-ride tickets available for tourists.

since the pandemic and coupled with the usual terror attacks,,,,, many of the big attractions now required advance tickets booked for specific time slots. since you have a week, a tourist office in Paris will have the latest regs and likely can assist booking times&tickets.
caution: be sure it's a government tourist office and not a gypsy outfit....

masking and proof of vaccination . . . also required for entry to many places. the CDC had an 'international ID' but that may have changed. have you checked as to what proof the airline requires?

you may see blogs saying the best way to see Paris is on foot. ah, Paris is a _big_ city . . . so local walk arounds yes, but places to places... that may be more than wished for.

there are city sections one best avoids

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
CHOWDER! Good to see you!

Whatcha been cooking???

Lee

Reactions: Doc

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
well,,,,, tomorrow is a lobster chowder! our local market did a special on the little tails.
if you're going to dice it up to spoon-bites, no reason to pay mega-bucks for a 2 pound tail....
'sides, more shells = more better shell stock....

been engorging in Berkshire pork - local farm/butcher/shop does wonderful stuff.
should have done a pix of the last Berkshire pork chops vs supermarket stuff - stunning pork is it . . .

@SilverSage - Versailles is a fascinating side trip. do the 'guided tour' - you see a lot more of the good stuff.
note: no daughters lost their heads on this trip....
vers1.jpg

and, don't forget the camera:
etower.JPG

once upon a time, the French had a really interesting attitude toward Ami's - but that has changed.
simple politeness makes all the language issues disappear. there's a new generation in town.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great photo, Cman! Good to see you! Please stick around and post what you're cooking!

Agreed that Versailles is awesome. That word, "awesome", is terribly hackneyed, but it fits Versailles!

Lee

Reactions: Doc