What's On The Plates Sunday 11 September - Saturday 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny West

Man that's all beautiful!
That salad is gorgeous.
😍
We have a lot of tomatoes coming on so lots of different ideas for salads.

The past few days she has cooked tomatoes with home grown carrots,
onions, and green pepper to make veg juice. I’ll can it this afternoon.

We pruned out all the tomato vines that don’t have tomatoes so it’s easy
to get to them and not using nutrients that will now go to the tomatoes.
I think we were a little late doing it but it can’t hurt. It makes it easier to
recycle the plants, too.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We pruned out all the tomato vines that don’t have tomatoes so it’s easy
to get to them and not using nutrients that will now go to the tomatoes.

Good idea, I should probably do that, too. I have a forest of foliage for the first time in 30 years, but the tomatoes are small and green.

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Dinner may be mini (2 serving) lasagna or split pea soup. But it can be something completely different. LOL TBDL

Johnny West

Good idea, I should probably do that, too. I have a forest of foliage for the first time in 30 years, but the tomatoes are small and green.

Lee
As were ours. Some plants did have large tomatoes and are leaving them till they start to turn red.

We have a lot of plum and cherry tomatoes which she has been making into sauce, to use them up.

Ironman

🍺
We are making guacamole and hot salsa to go with street tacos tomorrow.

8F024D1D-5B73-4EB9-B67A-7A78B450D65A.jpeg
C05E1635-025A-44A6-AF6D-71DEC30EFC91.jpeg

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Holy guacamole that’s a lot of avocados!

PS I have the same avocado tool. I love it.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I've decided I need to make something portable and not messy (or terribly filling) for my lunch breaks at work, so I'm making Souper Rice, a cuke, tomato and feta salad.
I found some chicken strips in the freezer and will have two of those with some of the above, for dinner.

Jusa

As were ours. Some plants did have large tomatoes and are leaving them till they start to turn red.

We have a lot of plum and cherry tomatoes which she has been making into sauce, to use them up.
Something is eating our tomatoes. Not the entire tomato, just the bottom part. We suspect chipmunks or squirrels from the size of the bite. Whatever it is, the critter is small enough to climb up the plant without breaking the branches, so most likely the chipmunks. We tried putting down some red pepper flakes yesterday around the garden so maybe that will help keep them away so that the fruit can actually ripen on the plant instead of us having to pick it green?

We do have an abundance (6 prolific plants), but I would really love to have extra of the larger size tomatoes to make sauce to freeze. My husband's cousin is getting me one of those vacuum food sealer machines (Weston brand I think) from his friend who owns a kitchen supply store (at cost).

Making baby back ribs tonight with lima beans cooked with butter and bacon. I will post some pics later on.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Something is eating our tomatoes. Not the entire tomato, just the bottom part. We suspect chipmunks or squirrels from the size of the bite. Whatever it is, the critter is small enough to climb up the plant without breaking the branches, so most likely the chipmunks. We tried putting down some red pepper flakes yesterday around the garden so maybe that will help keep them away so that the fruit can actually ripen on the plant instead of us having to pick it green?

We do have an abundance (6 prolific plants), but I would really love to have extra of the larger size tomatoes to make sauce to freeze. My husband's cousin is getting me one of those vacuum food sealer machines (Weston brand I think) from his friend who owns a kitchen supply store (at cost).

Making baby back ribs tonight with lima beans cooked with butter and bacon. I will post some pics later on.
HI Jusa ; Welcome aboard !!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Jusa, try sprinkling cayenne right on the tomatoes and surrounding leaves. Works better than anything else I've tried.

Your dinner of baby backs and limas with bacon sounds wonderful!

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.