What's for dinner Tuesday, 12-21-10?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I've had so much meat and potatoes lately - cooking German! I want seafood.

Crablegs are thawing. With a salad. Nice and light.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Well, the burgers didn't materialize last night, so that's what's for dinner tonight.

Here's lunch - fresh mustard greens - used some ham instead of ham hocks - dished into my finest Wal-Mart china:

FreshMustardGreens.jpg

I really liked using the ham better than the hock. It was a little easier, a lot more hammy, and about the same price as the hocks. The pkg said, "Smoked Spiral Ham Slices and Pieces." I think it's just what they trim off before cutting the spiral hams. Anyway, pretty good deal.

lilylove

Busy night... so I'm making chicken Pad Thai from a mix. Chicken, eggs and green onions will be added.

K

Kimchee

Splurge night! Going to the 42nd St Oyster bar for 1/2 a peck or so!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I'm thinking ham and cheesy potatoes.
Oh please tell me how to make those!! I have ham and want to try something different and this sounds good!! I will be starting dinner in about 1 - 2 hours. TYIA

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Well, the burgers didn't materialize last night, so that's what's for dinner tonight.

Here's lunch - fresh mustard greens - used some ham instead of ham hocks - dished into my finest Wal-Mart china:

FreshMustardGreens.jpg

I really liked using the ham better than the hock. It was a little easier, a lot more hammy, and about the same price as the hocks. The pkg said, "Smoked Spiral Ham Slices and Pieces." I think it's just what they trim off before cutting the spiral hams. Anyway, pretty good deal.
YUMMY!! I have only used frozen greens. I heard the fresh collards, mustards, turnips and kale take a long time to cook. Is that true?

Mom always used smoked hocks for pea soup and it tasted great! But the last time I used them they smelled and tasted very strong, not very tasty at all. Also I didn't get any meat from 5 hocks but maybe 2 TBSP meat and the rest was skin, fat and bones!! Very disappointing and the family wouldn't eat the soup saying it had a strange funky flavor. They were fresh just very "gamey" in smell and flavor. Nothing like I remember from childhood. I will be going back to my smoked ham steak for the soup.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
YUMMY!! I have only used frozen greens. I heard the fresh collards, mustards, turnips and kale take a long time to cook. Is that true?

Mom always used smoked hocks for pea soup and it tasted great! But the last time I used them they smelled and tasted very strong, not very tasty at all. Also I didn't get any meat from 5 hocks but maybe 2 TBSP meat and the rest was skin, fat and bones!! Very disappointing and the family wouldn't eat the soup saying it had a strange funky flavor. They were fresh just very "gamey" in smell and flavor. Nothing like I remember from childhood. I will be going back to my smoked ham steak for the soup.

I think that depends on your greens. I have bought mustard greens before that I had to take almost the whole stem out of because the stems were just too hard/tough and had to cook those longer. The mustard greens that I bought yesterday were beautiful, a lighter green with very tender stems. They didn't take that long to cook, maybe 35-45 minutes after I got the cooking liquid going, but I just judge the cooking time by what they look like :). Maybe it's the difference between the winter greens and spring/summer greens, idk, not a greens expert here :), just know that these were pretty darn good greens.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

I just made a big pot of fresh collard greens this weekend. I peeled the leaves off the stems, then cooked in water with chicken bouillon, hot sauce, some vinegar, and a ham hock. I was cooking by sight (how they looked) and after 2.5 hours they still looked tough and not as wilted as I thought they should be. I went ahead and tasted them, and they were very tender and tasted great.

On average, expect 1-2 hours for fresh greens. If they look tough and not as wilted as you think, go ahead and take a bite of the biggest, brightest green one you can find and that will tell you. Greens don't always wilt down as much as cabbage does, so dive in with a fork for the real test.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I think that depends on your greens. I have bought mustard greens before that I had to take almost the whole stem out of because the stems were just too hard/tough and had to cook those longer. The mustard greens that I bought yesterday were beautiful, a lighter green with very tender stems. They didn't take that long to cook, maybe 35-45 minutes after I got the cooking liquid going, but I just judge the cooking time by what they look like :). Maybe it's the difference between the winter greens and spring/summer greens, idk, not a greens expert here :), just know that these were pretty darn good greens.

I just made a big pot of fresh collard greens this weekend. I peeled the leaves off the stems, then cooked in water with chicken bouillon, hot sauce, some vinegar, and a ham hock. I was cooking by sight (how they looked) and after 2.5 hours they still looked tough and not as wilted as I thought they should be. I went ahead and tasted them, and they were very tender and tasted great.

On average, expect 1-2 hours for fresh greens. If they look tough and not as wilted as you think, go ahead and take a bite of the biggest, brightest green one you can find and that will tell you. Greens don't always wilt down as much as cabbage does, so dive in with a fork for the real test.
Thank you both for your excellent info. Basically I need to play it by ear or fork! LOL

Broccoli rabe and escarole cook pretty quick a matter of minutes.

Thanks

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Western egg scramble (smoked ham, red & green bell pepper & onions sautéed in butter scrambled eggs added), tomato dressed with EVOO, sea salt, ground peppercorns, ground course dry garlic and fresh basil and red pepper paste on the side.

122110_western_scramble.jpg

Leni

Peeps, I was thinking of warming the ham and making potatoes au gratin but you've given me an idea. You could take a large potato and bake it. Scrape out the skin and mix the potato with cubed ham, onions, cheddar cheese, and bacon. Do it like a twice baked potato. Or you could do what I did the other day. Basically I made a ham hash with the ham, onion, potatoes, green and red bell peper. Once everything was nicely browned I topped it with cheddar cheese, covered the pan until it melted. That's the first time I've done that but it came out really good. I used bacon drippings as my fat and really browned the ham.

I'm debating whether to do the ham the same way you did the smoked ham shank with greens or cook the tri tip.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peeps, I was thinking of warming the ham and making potatoes au gratin but you've given me an idea. You could take a large potato and bake it. Scrape out the skin and mix the potato with cubed ham, onions, cheddar cheese, and bacon. Do it like a twice baked potato. Or you could do what I did the other day. Basically I made a ham hash with the ham, onion, potatoes, green and red bell peper. Once everything was nicely browned I topped it with cheddar cheese, covered the pan until it melted. That's the first time I've done that but it came out really good. I used bacon drippings as my fat and really browned the ham.

I'm debating whether to do the ham the same way you did the smoked ham shank with greens or cook the tri tip.
Thank you Leni for the great ideas!!

I have A LOT of ham left!! I think split pea soup tomorrow. Then I may just freeze whats left (in 1 lb chunks) in food saver bags for latter use.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I'm gonna make Karen's oven baked chili chicken. That looked so good!

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17206

I made this tonight and it was delicious! I forgot to takes pics though. Thanks Karen!

Everything looks delicious! Peeps, those tomatoes are gorgeous. Looks like you went out and picked them right off the vine! :)
Thank you Mary. That was an ugly ripe tomato that sat on the counter for 3 days. Nice and red and juicy!! YUMMY

I did the same thing yesterday. Everyone was so hungry and the smell of the smoked ham roasting for 2 hours drove everyone so crazy I forgot to get a pic of the ham out of the oven!! LOL

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Busy night... so I'm making chicken Pad Thai from a mix. Chicken, eggs and green onions will be added.

i made shrimp pad thai from a mix..got them on sale for $1...added bean sprouts,peanuts,shredded cabbage,lime and chilies & sambal

padthai.jpg

29nb3uq.jpg

mhend

Delicious, Bams!

And Peeps - I spent all day yesterday thinking it was Tuesday. LOL. So I'll be making my ham tomorrow.