What's Coooking for Mother's Day, Sunday, 05-10-09?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I'm making meat loaf burgers, corn on the cob, macaroni salad (did that yesterday) and I have this guy in the oven...

AppleLattice051009.jpg

All at DW's request.

Lefty

Yank
Moma Bear (DGF) loves me to make a loaded Chefs salad. I will dump in everything including the kitchen sink. I will serve it with my Cajun vinaigrette, garlic bread and some coffee ice cream and danish chocolate sticks shoved into the ice cream.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
getting ready to go into the smoker

ribs X3
chicken legs and thighs (not rubbed yet)

2h7p4ya.jpg

Love2"Q"

rib eye steaks (all these damn steak pics lately) home cut french fries ..
salad and corn on the cob ..
keilbasa and a pork loin that is on the smoker ..
the pork loin is for tomorrow but i am sure i will
get a taste tonight ...

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Don't quite know for sure yet - I think hubby & I will go to the fish market and pick up some prawns and sea scallops and make kabobs on the grill.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
The kids are here and it's good I got a picture of the Roasted Red Pepper Hummus and Roti bread...

HummusRoti.jpg

...because it's GONE!

Future SIL is making the burgers on the grill, and we'll have corn on the cob and this macaroni salad...

MacaroniSalad.jpg

...then we'll destroy this apple pie with vanilla ice cream.

AppleLattice-2.jpg

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
It all looks great and the pie is beautiful!! I never could do a latice top like that, lol Good job!!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
It all looks great and the pie is beautiful!! I never could do a latice top like that, lol Good job!!
It's a lot easier to roll the dough out if you put it between two sheets of waxed paper. I did that for the bottom crust, and it's a lot easier to get the crust in the dish without destroying it. I rolled out the top crust the same way, then removed the top paper and used a pastry wheel to cut the strips. Then it's just a matter of using my superior basket weaving techniques.:yum::yum: (I rode the short bus to "Special Class.")

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I made a goulash - been home most of today as feel rather uggy - bad cold/mild flu

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Not cooking. Lunch was enough!!:wink: pic is bad, too dark in there!

Attachments

• 0510091315a.jpg
    0510091315a.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 128

chowhound

I wasn't sick today like you, Ray, just really lazy.
I'm going to nuke some leftovers of Homecook's recipe beef & mushrooms and serve over egg noodles. I'll also have a broccoli bunch that will be steamed and then sauted in EVOO with slivered almonds.

Ray, what is you goulash like? Around here it's made with red gravy, noddles, burger and peppers and onions. Like a thick pasta dish.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Ray, what is you goulash like? Around here it's made with red gravy, noddles, burger and peppers and onions. Like a thick pasta dish.

Over here our goulash is made with stew meat, brown gravy, onions, potatoes and carrots. We either put it over wide egg noodles or polenta.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well after the last two days I think my wife and I are eating light tonight. Friday nights dinner I had a salad with a mustard/balsamic/basil vinergrete an grilled lobster with bok choy and apparsugus in a truffle sauce. The food was excellent at the http://www.savorygrille.com/ which has become our new Friday night dinner site. Sunday we had the full course from Warren which is always excellent needless to say.

chowhound

Over here our goulash is made with stew meat, brown gravy, onions, potatoes and carrots. We either put it over wide egg noodles or polenta.

You could decipher all those typos, huh? lol
That's interesting, Joe. We're relatively close and I would have expected yours to be the red gravy version, too. That sounds really good. potatoes over noodles though? Ehh, why not (lol).

Kei

I actually got my neighbor to try sushi today. I fibbed and told her it was a mother's tradition where I come from and would be insulted if she refused. She didn't believe me but tried it anyways and now she has a new favorite food. lol

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
thats the same way we make it Chow... i think every culture has a version of goulash... Amanda's family makes it different and they are only 200 miles away from my family

they make it similar to Joe's...really strange

I wasn't sick today like you, Ray, just really lazy.
I'm going to nuke some leftovers of Homecook's recipe beef & mushrooms and serve over egg noodles. I'll also have a broccoli bunch that will be steamed and then sauted in EVOO with slivered almonds.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I have been feeling sick the past 3 days since eating chinese food and haven't been able to eat anything since, just drinking sprite. But dh fixed himself a couple of lunch meat and cheese sandwiches.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Ray, Fred and Lifesaver...I sorry to hear that all of you are sick. I hope you feel better soon!

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
DW was not hungry, so I whipped up some fettucine alfredo for the kids and me.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
hd_logo.gif

Thanks Mama Queen of Cornbread. Reservations at 3:30pm

Still every bit good as I remembered! The Manager came up and gave My wife and daughter (age 15) A Gift Certificate for $25. Each,
For next time we come back! That was a nice surpise.
:harley:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
platter of ribs was the only picture taken... i didnt take photo nor was it my camera so it is a little dark, the ribs were not very dark at all... the dark is actually dark red from the bbq sauce.

introduced a bunch of people to what real bbq was..it was a hit, hardly a word was said while everyone was eating... :ohmy:

ax0i1w.jpg

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
I have been feeling sick the past 3 days since eating chinese food and haven't been able to eat anything since, just drinking sprite. But dh fixed himself a couple of lunch meat and cheese sandwiches.
Time for Chicken Soup Lifesaver! I hope you feel better soon!
:chicken:

Constance

My beloved is making chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, gravy and peas, and my daughter brought over a double chocolate pie for dessert.

Kim makes the absolute BEST chicken fried, (AKA country fried) steak I've ever eaten. I think it's because he starts with good meat, pounds it out himself, seasons it well, and fries it in hot enough grease, so it is neither greasy nor soggy.
He uses an electric skillet, by the way. I'll take that over a cast iron skillet any day of the week. (Sorry Uncle Bob and others, but I'm just not fond of cast iron.) You can't beat it for campfire cooking though.