What's Cooking, Thurs/11/25, Thanksgiving Day?

FooD

Are you having a traditional Thanksgiving meal or something completely different on this day?

GotGarlic

It's got to be traditional :smile: Roast turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, roasted veggies, rolls and pumpkin pie. I love turkey and I love turkey leftovers, so I'm making a 12-pound turkey for 4 people.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
It's got to be traditional :smile: Roast turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, roasted veggies, rolls and pumpkin pie. I love turkey and I love turkey leftovers, so I'm making a 12-pound turkey for 4 people.
Same here but we have a 19 lb (free from market) for 4 people. We mostly like white meat for sammies. The dark goes for soup.

Leni

Since it is just the three of us Ill' be roasting a turkey breast with stuffing, home made cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, and German red cabbage. Biscuits of course and maybe a tossed green salad. Dessert will be pumpkin pie. And the DH came home with a ham! Wants that also. Sigh!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Revised 2010 Thanksgiving Menu

Brunch/Appy

Stuffed Mushrooms
Cream cheese, stuffed green olive & walnut poppers
Maybe Trader Joe's Cream of Portobello Mushroom Soup

Dinner

Turkey
Stuffing
Sweet Potato & Acorn Squash Casserole
Brussels sprouts
String bean salad
Baked sweet potato
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Cranberry/Tangerine Relish
Cranberry sauce

Dessert

Pumpkin pie
Apple pie
Whipped cream

Beverages

Assorted soda
Sparkling cranberry apple cider
Coffee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Very traditional dinner here. I bought a 22# turkey for 16 people. Appy's will be stuffed celery, Texas Caviar with "Scoops," relish tray and veggie tray with ranch dip. Assorted beers, wine and soft drinks. Cornbread dressing, mashed potato casserole, green bean casserole, sweet potato & marshmallow casserole, cranberries with mandarin oranges, rolls (I have to make more because I gave the first batch to Peeps :tongue:) and pan gravy. Dessert will be pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies and Slovenian Potica.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Very traditional dinner here. I bought a 22# turkey for 16 people. Appy's will be stuffed celery, Texas Caviar with "Scoops," relish tray and veggie tray with ranch dip. Assorted beers, wine and soft drinks. Cornbread dressing, mashed potato casserole, green bean casserole, sweet potato & marshmallow casserole, cranberries with mandarin oranges, rolls (I have to make more because I gave the first batch to Peeps :tongue:) and pan gravy. Dessert will be pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies and Slovenian Potica.
Whooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooooo!! :applause::flowers:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Pretty much traditional here. We have a 14# Turkey to roast in the oven, a Ham I’ll cook in the outdoor DO per DW’s request, Mac & Cheese, Green Bean Casserole, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Chicken Dressing, Pulled BBQ Chicken, maybe some Fried Frog Legs (just to see the looks on our guest’s faces!), Chess Pie, Pumpkin Pie, Apple Pie, and of course, Cranberry Sauce.

mhend

I'll be taking some homemade rolls, scalloped potatoes, and white chocolate and butterscotch blondies to the big family dinner at my aunt's.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Pretty much traditional here. We have a 14# Turkey to roast in the oven, a Ham I’ll cook in the outdoor DO per DW’s request, Mac & Cheese, Green Bean Casserole, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Chicken Dressing, Pulled BBQ Chicken, maybe some Fried Frog Legs (just to see the looks on our guest’s faces!), Chess Pie, Pumpkin Pie, Apple Pie, and of course, Cranberry Sauce.

:clap: That's great! If people would just try them......the majority would like them.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Sangria, cheese ball with crackers, stuffed mushrooms, stuffed celery, marinated veggies, cream of corn/poblano soup, pork and chicken tamales. charro beans, mexican rice, various salsas, sweet potato pie, cherry pie, apple tart, wine, coffee.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I'll be making this stuffing in the morning.. along with 2 dozen deviled eggs.
Going to my brother's place in the country. Dinner is at 4. ;)

i always put apples or similar in my stuffing

this year its going to be a andouille cornbread stuffing,just the breast with the cavity left intact so i can stuff. sweet potatoes,corn and turtle cheesecake for dessert

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Happy Thanksgiving America!!

Apple Pie (made with Ideal white & brown sugar substitute)

2010_thanksgiving_apple_pie.jpg

Pumpkin Pie

2010_thanksgiving_pumpkin_pie.jpg

Apple crisp (apple pie filling topped with uncooked rolled oats, nutmeg, cinnamon, Ideal brown sugar sub & 2 pats of butter). A treat for tonight instead of attacking the pies!! LOL

2010_thanksgiving_apple_crisp.jpg

Mr. Green Jeans

Whole wheat banana bread is on the cooling rack, great grandpa's dressing is made, turkey still brining. Now I'm making atole to take in to a crew that is loading a truck today.

* 1/2 cup Masa Harina
* 5 cups milk
* 4 tablespoons brown sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or 1 stick cinnamon, finely slivered
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Put the Masa Harina® in a bowl and whisk in the milk, little by little. Pour the milk mixture into a pot and add the brown sugar and cinnamon. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, to keep it from becoming lumpy. Stir in the vanilla extract. Serve in mugs.

Pineapple
Follow the basic recipe, but omit the cinnamon. After the mixture has thickened and has been removed from the heat, add 1 small can crushed pineapple, undrained.

Strawberry
Follow the basic recipe, but omit the cinnamon. After the mixture has thickened and has been removed from the heat, add 2 cups fresh strawberries that have been hulled, washed and crushed.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thanksgiving Dinner

Cream cheese, green olive & walnut poppers

2010_thanksgiving_creamcheese_olive_walnut_poppers.jpg

Cranberry, tangerine & pecan relish (made with Ideal white & brown sugar sub)

2010_thanksgiving_cranberry_relish.jpg

Carved Turkey

2010_thanksgiving_turkey-1.jpg

Dinner is served - Turkey, cold fresh string bean salad (sliced garlic, lemon juice, EVOO, sea salt & ground peppercorns), mashed acorn squash & sweet potato (Ideal brown sugar sub, sugar free maple syrup, cinnamon & butter), dressing/stuffing, mashed red & Yukon potatoes (butter, sour cream & fresh chives), sautéed mushrooms, buttered steamed Brussels sprouts, turkey gravy, cranberry, tangerine & pecan relish & olive poppers.

2010_thanksgiving_dinner_plate.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
This is what I ate:

Turkey breast meat with the whole cranberry sauce on it, and a wing..
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Stuffing
Green bean casserole
Corn
2 bacon wrapped asparagus spears
1 Hawaiian dinner roll
2 deviled eggs

dessert later was a sliver of pumpkin and pecan pie

My Brother and his wife are going to venture out for the Black Friday sales and said they'd drop me off a plate of leftovers at work tomorrow. :)

K

Kimchee

We went to a little potluck dinner, which was a nice change!
We did the turkey and mashed potatoes (because we knew we COULD, LOL)..
both came out fine, thank goodness.
There was stuffing, salad, a potato, sweet potato and gruyere cheese "pie",
late arrivals of vegetarian paella and spinach quiche, a Guinness Stout and some
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale, sweet tea from a grocery jug and desserts!

The salad was, alas, a tossed salad made with cabbage. The hostess has, by her own
admission, the food intake of a spoiled 5 year old... virtually no veggies! So when she
went shopping for the salad, she didn't know the difference! It was still a fine salad.
And I guess I'm no longer a real man, cuz the quiche was good too!
What was shocking was that I ate so much I didn't have any dessert. Totally forgot
to have pie. But so did everyone else, come to think of it!
All in all a nice day. Happy Thanksgiving!

Cajun-injected fried whole turkey breast - from qvc. It was moist & juicy, but a little salty for me. I've tried the garlic & butter injected breast - also good, but salty. Sweet potatoes w/ butter, broccoli gratin, cranberry sauce, mushroom stuffing, rolls & more butter. Pumpkin pie & ice cream. And... a few unopened bottles of 2008 Pinot Noir.

GotGarlic

Our dinner table. Everyone was too impatient to start eating, so I couldn't take more pictures :wink:

Attachments

• thanksgiving-table.jpg
    thanksgiving-table.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 83

sadie

As usual everyone met for dinner around 3pm. and everyone brought something and that means a WHOLE LOT OF FOOD!
We had:
2 large Turkeys, roasted
1 large Ham glazed w/pineapple, brown sugar & grenadine sauce(tasty)
Turkey Mole (mexican dish)
Turkey Cubana (spicy cuban dish w/potatoes & olives)
1 large slow roasted Prime Beef rib roast
green bean casserole
corn casserole
zucchini bake w/parmesan
sauteed cauliflower & carrots
green salad
macaroni salad
crab salad
baked potatoes
scalloped potatoes
mashed potatoes
cornbread stuffing
turkey gravy
beef gravy
jellied cranberry & pomegranate w/orange zest
candied yams
candied pears
fresh fruits, apple, pineapple, canteloupe
green olives
black olives
all kinds of chips, artichoke & spinach dip, onion dip, guacamole & fresh vegetables, cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, green onion, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes
cheeses, brie, smoked swiss, smoked sharp, jalapeno jack
caviar
several types of crackers & chips
corn rye, pumpernickel & fresh baked rolls
apple pie, pumpking pie, blueberry pie, pecan pie & individual apricot turnovers
caramel pudding
flan, strawberry jello
peanut butter dipped chocolate balls
chocolate chip cookies, almond brittle, peanut brittle, chocolate fudge
apple, grape & cranberry juices
all types of alcohol (I had the world's best Bloody Mary with Skyy Vodka, a blend of Tomato & Clamato, Celery, Worcestershire, Horseradish & Lime juice).

I'm only sorry I did not take pictures.
Yes I was on the treadmill today for at least 40 minutes! :kiss:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
As usual everyone met for dinner around 3pm. and everyone brought something and that means a WHOLE LOT OF FOOD!
We had:
2 large Turkeys, roasted
1 large Ham glazed w/pineapple, brown sugar & grenadine sauce(tasty)
Turkey Mole (mexican dish)
Turkey Cubana (spicy cuban dish w/potatoes & olives)
1 large slow roasted Prime Beef rib roast
green bean casserole
corn casserole
zucchini bake w/parmesan
sauteed cauliflower & carrots
green salad
macaroni salad
crab salad
baked potatoes
scalloped potatoes
mashed potatoes
cornbread stuffing
turkey gravy
beef gravy
jellied cranberry & pomegranate w/orange zest
candied yams
candied pears
fresh fruits, apple, pineapple, canteloupe
green olives
black olives
all kinds of chips, artichoke & spinach dip, onion dip, guacamole & fresh vegetables, cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, green onion, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes
cheeses, brie, smoked swiss, smoked sharp, jalapeno jack
caviar
several types of crackers & chips
corn rye, pumpernickel & fresh baked rolls
apple pie, pumpking pie, blueberry pie, pecan pie & individual apricot turnovers
caramel pudding
flan, strawberry jello
peanut butter dipped chocolate balls
chocolate chip cookies, almond brittle, peanut brittle, chocolate fudge
apple, grape & cranberry juices
all types of alcohol (I had the world's best Bloody Mary with Skyy Vodka, a blend of Tomato & Clamato, Celery, Worcestershire, Horseradish & Lime juice).

I'm only sorry I did not take pictures.
Yes I was on the treadmill today for at least 40 minutes! :kiss:
OMG!! WOW That sounds like a nice variety of foods!! How many were at the feast?

K

Kimchee

Here's our turkey contribution this year...

Attachments

• 2010TgivingTurkey.jpg
    2010TgivingTurkey.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 73

sadie

lilbopeep, wasn't but about 40 people at the Thanksgiving dinner.
I forgot to mention the Baked Beans & Candied Yams
Wish I had taken more leftovers!