Whats Cooking NCT? Sun. 6/26 to Sat. 7/2 2016

Embryodad

Yesterday, it was Chinese takeout. Kids were here, and we figured no cooking today.
It was different ( for a Sunday meal anyway )
My mom was probably turning over in her grave; and saying,; "Son James, Where are the spaghetti and big pot of meat balls?":WitchBrewsSmiley:

Embryodad

Today, we had delicious Beef Stroganoff that Tina made.
Beef was so tender, with mushrooms, and all over Dutch noodles.

Entenmanns doughnuts for dessert.

Embryodad

Tuesday today.... Tina made a small ramekin of eggplant parm. It was just so so.
Egg plant was bitter. frozen / sams club stuff...

Biscotti and coffee for dessert.
Glad the day is behind me!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I made an ALDI run yesterday. Grade A Large eggs were $.49/dozen :D. I was trying to only spend $40 because I had a coupon for buy $40 worth of groceries and get $10 off. Of course, that didn't happen. Their 80/20 ground beef is $1.89/lb this week. I usually use 85/15 for hamburgers, but for that price I can do 80/20 and be happy.

Shopping there is kind of a trip. Yesterday there was only one check out lane open and people were really piled up. This lady who was probably 10 people back in line started hollering, "Don't you have any help, Don't you have any help, Don't you have any help." She sounded like an angry parrot who wouldn't shut up. Her poor kid was embarrased to death.

Jimmy, my mother used to cut really thin slices of eggplant, soak them in ice-water (maybe salted ice-water), dredge them in cornmeal, and pan fry them until they were crispy rounds. I loved eggplant like that.

Last night's dinner was a stir fry of chicken thighs and broccoli with a clear sauce over chow mein noodles. Tonight is going to be brats with onion relish.

Embryodad

I made an ALDI run yesterday. Grade A Large eggs were $.49/dozen :D. I was trying to only spend $40 because I had a coupon for buy $40 worth of groceries and get $10 off. Of course, that didn't happen. Their 80/20 ground beef is $1.89/lb this week. I usually use 85/15 for hamburgers, but for that price I can do 80/20 and be happy.

Shopping there is kind of a trip. Yesterday there was only one check out lane open and people were really piled up. This lady who was probably 10 people back in line started hollering, "Don't you have any help, Don't you have any help, Don't you have any help." She sounded like an angry parrot who wouldn't shut up. Her poor kid was embarrased to death.

Jimmy, my mother used to cut really thin slices of eggplant, soak them in ice-water (maybe salted ice-water), dredge them in cornmeal, and pan fry them until they were crispy rounds. I loved eggplant like that.

Last night's dinner was a stir fry of chicken thighs and broccoli with a clear sauce over chow mein noodles. Tonight is going to be brats with onion relish.
Yeah! That's how we fry it, but first, we salt each slice, then place it layered in a colander,
and place a small dish and a weight on top that.
My mom would do that early early AM; so that by 10, she could bread them, and fry them.
Oh, so good. Plus, we Zebra peel the egg plant so there is less skin.

BTW.....good deal on the eggs and the ground beef!

Johnny West

Tonight it's chalupa's... tortillas, refried beans, lettuce, chopped onions, chopped black olives, chopped avocado, chopped tomato, salsa, Russian dressing, and sour cream. There will be tequila shooters...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tonight it's chalupa's... tortillas, refried beans, lettuce, chopped onions, chopped black olives, chopped avocado, chopped tomato, salsa, Russian dressing, and sour cream. There will be tequila shooters...

LOL! Sounds like you're BACK, John!

Lee

Johnny West

I'm back, just not 100%. I wear down in the afternoon but each day is a bit better. Naps are nice but the legs still ache.

Embryodad

We had two large tomatoes that were too soft to slice. No rot, but give them 48, and there may be ketchup. I asked Tina mommy to dice and marinate them in water / olive oil / salt and spices with a 1/2 tsp of sugar. Next day, ( today ) , she cooked them down to reduce the liquid; added fresh basil from the garden pot, and served it over orecchietta macaroni.
Good. She made taco's for GD and her. I tried one / didn't like it. Old el Paso brand.
It just was too pastie and didn't taste right.

Johnny West

Tonight's chalupa's. The dressing is Catalina not Russian. I imagine one could add whatever they like with this.

Attachments

• #######Chalupa.jpg
    #######Chalupa.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 152

Embryodad

Tonight we had macaroni and cheese.
Tina made cake doughnuts. .....cute.

The other night, we had pasta with tomatoes.
Look how cute they spoon with each other. :yum:

Johnny West

We had grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch. The bread is California Sourdough from Fred's (Kroger) and very good.

Tonight is osso buck with mashed poatoes and cauliflower.

Embryodad

It was a cool day here today. Breezy and cool. Like 66 for a high. Nice day for soup.
Well....Tina mom made a nice big pot of Veggie Beef Barley Soup. That, and crusty Italian bread with butter.....Y U M

Had Strawberry rhubarb pie from the local farm stand for dessert.

Johnny West

I want that pie. :piesmiley1:

Here is tonight's osso bucko and it was very good. The marsela sauce was to die for.

Attachments

• #######OSSO BUCO.jpg
    #######OSSO BUCO.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 133

Johnny West

Tonight was pan fried tuna with a side of sautéed leek and fennel. I took the photo before I plated the side. I used the good camera and got a poor photo. It's time to get the directions out.

Attachments

• #######Tuna Fry.jpg
    #######Tuna Fry.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 115

Johnny West

Do you have a recipe for the baked ziti? It sounds good.

I thought about making a rhubarb cake today but wore down to fast. The recipe is from scratch and chocolate cake is the only one I've ever made.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
MmmmMMMM, everybody!

John, how did you do the tuna? Seasonings? Pan-seared?

SO expensive!

Lee

Johnny West

The tuna came from Tacoma Boys and was $12 a pound - we just got one pound. The local tuna boats are $500 for an overnight fishing trip and won't be doing that anytime soon.

The recipe is from the NY Times, just used salt and pepper for the seasoning, and panned seared in cast iron. The inside was still cold and was delicious. Last week's CSA came with fennel and this was a great recipe to use.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12156-tuna-steaks-with-fennel

Johnny West

I tried to keep it simple tonight and grilled the boneless beef club ribs. The sides are french fries baked in the toaster oven and a container of cole slaw from KFC. There is Goose Island IPA, too.

BTW, Lee, The sauce I made to go with the tuna was maple syrup, dijon mustard, and a bit of lemon juice. I'll do that for salmon next time, too, but add some dill weed.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
IBTW, Lee, The sauce I made to go with the tuna was maple syrup, dijon mustard, and a bit of lemon juice. I'll do that for salmon next time, too, but add some dill weed.

Sounds delicious and I think the dill will be wonderful!

Lee

Embryodad

Supper was angus serloin steaks ( prime ) that Tina baby got on sale at Weis today.
The son and DIL stopped over after work, so we had a delicious steak dinner.
Tina made mashed potatoes, and she bought a jar of sons favorite Heinz Dark Beef Gravy.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Today, we had delicious Beef Stroganoff that Tina made.
Beef was so tender, with mushrooms, and all over Dutch noodles.

Entenmanns doughnuts for dessert.
I'm not happy with the wavy egg noodles they now have. I like the old fashioned flat broad noodles from way back much better. SO now I buy Trader Joe's pappardelle egg noodles (8 oz. @ $1.99). Taste so good, better than Penn. Dutch noodles!!

Attachments

• 73090-egg-pappardelle-pasta.jpg
    73090-egg-pappardelle-pasta.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 90

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
This thread is a little out dated. LOL

These are some of the things I made during this time (typing hasn't been fun so I haven't been posting much :blush:)

Salisbury steak, mashed taters, onion gravy and steamed baby spinach
Chili
Chili dogs
Pot roast
Frank's and beans (B&M beans doctored up with molasses, brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, cumin, chili powder, dogs quartered added)
Grilled burgers and dogs, mac salad, kidney and cannellini bean salad, and corn on the cob