What's Cookin' Sunday January 24 - Saturday 30

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have dough going in the bread machine. I plan on making sausage bread.

Dinner is still not set. Choices are frozen burritos, or I may make pizza dough while I have the bread machine out. We'll decide later.

Ironman

🍺
Smoking some ribs for the Packer win today. :beer:
FA5600DD-D6DD-40B8-A59A-BF0E69901796.jpeg

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Vichyssoise made with boniato instead of potato, with a horseradish kick. Scallops were made into tournedos wrapped with leeks, but they sunk :mad: before I got a picture. Leek ribbons for garnish.

Starter was a scallop crudo with lemon, lime, and orange juices/zest, with about half of an orange habanero chopped finely, with drops of annatto oil.
2021-01-24 17.42.51.jpg

2021-01-24 18.05.10.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Impressive, Karen! Love the scallop dish, too!

I had to look up boniato. I'm always looking for healthier substitutes for regular potatoes ( I truly love potatoes but rarely eat them anymore), but I don't care for sweet potatoes or yams. Are boniatoes sweet???

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Impressive, Karen! Love the scallop dish, too!

I had to look up boniato. I'm always looking for healthier substitutes for regular potatoes ( I truly love potatoes but rarely eat them anymore), but I don't care for sweet potatoes or yams. Are boniatoes sweet???

Lee
They are a bit sweet, but not as sweet as American orange sweet potatoes.

I dont know that boniato is any healthier than potatoes, never researched it. There is also yuca, which I personally don't really like, but Craig does. Part of the reason I don't like it is it's a PITA to clean. You can buy it frozen already peeled, but 9 times out of 10 you still have to clean the fibrous center.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I made ribs, too. But mine were in the oven, not the grill.
One of the best oven recipes I've ever made, from the Lucky Peach cookbook, 101 Easy Asian Recipes. I used their cooking method, but not their bbq sauce. It seemed too salty for us, so I pitched it and used something from a bottle in the fridge. But im cooking all of my indoor ribs their way from now on.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mark, your ribs look incredible! So does your beer! I miss both!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made ribs, too. But mine were in the oven, not the grill.
One of the best oven recipes I've ever made, from the Lucky Peach cookbook, 101 Easy Asian Recipes. I used their cooking method, but not their bbq sauce. It seemed too salty for us, so I pitched it and used something from a bottle in the fridge. But im cooking all of my indoor ribs their way from now on.

Kathy, was this the recipe you were referring to? https://gr8bigworldblog.wordpress.com/2019/02/10/fish-sauce-spare-ribs/

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Close, but that guy left out the garlic & hot sauce from the sauce!!!
Here's a screen shot of the original I found on the web. I made the sauce, but we both tasted it and though it was toooooo salty. So rather than make a new batch with less fish sauce, and taking a chance on messing up the ribs, I just used what was in the fridge. I would try the sauce again, with half the fish sauce. Unlike the blogger, I didn't find 90 minutes too long - the meat was still on the bone, not falling off. But the recipe says to check it, since meat varies.
The parchment helps, by the way. I have done ribs in foil before, and the foil tears and you still have a mess. The parchment kept the bones from tearing the foil. No mess!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great, thanks, Kathy!

That is a LOT of fish sauce! I've tried to like it several times, but even a small amount is too fish-tasting for me.

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Great, thanks, Kathy!

That is a LOT of fish sauce! I've tried to like it several times, but even a small amount is too fish-tasting for me.

Lee
We thought it was too much in the sauce, but in the marinade it worked. It didn't taste fishy, and if you didn't know what it was, you wouldn't recognize it. It was just a subtle, salty, funky undernote that really pushed the ribs over the top. Usually, oven ribs just can't compare to grilled ribs, but these were stellar!