What to do with schmaltz (chicken fat)?

GotGarlic

I roasted a chicken for dinner Sunday and made stock with the carcass. Now I have a load of chicken fat on top that I'm about to scrape off. What can I do with it? I've heard in passing (and on Seinfeld :wink:) that it's used in Jewish cooking, but I'm not familiar with how or why. Thanks for any suggestions :smile:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
it's a fat. can be used just like olive oil, vegetable oil, etc - but indeed it does have its own flavor. you may like, or not like, that "effect"

chicken fat is often cited in Jewish kitchen because the usual and common fat culprit of the day/century was lard. lard as in pork fat as in not within the rules . . . .

technically, btw, "schmaltz" is not exclusively chicken fat.....

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i say save/fridge/cook w/ chix fat! try with green beenz post-cooking, a quick toss, with garlic, minced.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Use as the fat in your roux to make chicken, pork or turkey gravy.

Use to fry chicken or pork.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had a dear Irish friend who swore you had to use chicken fat to make the best grilled cheese sandwich in the world.

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I made my own schmaltz last summer, and use it like any other fat. I fry eggs in it, put it in bread recipes and make gravy with it. When I made it, a side benefit was the "gribens" left over from the rendering. I've added those to potatoes and bread recipes, as well as sneaking a snack from time to time.

P1030753.jpg

ChickenSchmaltz.jpg