What to do with red Anaheim chiles?

GotGarlic

Hi. I have a boatload of beautiful red Anaheim chiles and I'm not sure what to do with them. I've roasted, peeled and frozen the green ones, but I'm not sure if the red ones should get the same treatment. Also, need recipes :smile: Whattaya say?

Attachments

• red-anaheim-chiles.jpg
    red-anaheim-chiles.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 114

Phiddlechik

Rellenos sounds good! They could also be used with hashbrowns, chili, pizza, make a relish or compote for an accompaniment to meats...

GotGarlic

Mr. GreenJeans, that page has a link to baked rellenos, which I'm more likely to make :wink: I rarely deep-fry at home. Phiddlechik, those are some great ideas. Thanks!

K

Kimchee

A lady at Costco said to stuff them with goat cheese, drizzle with olive oil and bake or broil for a few minutes...

Got to thinking, and there are a legion of possibilities here if they are good....
Carmelized onions, chorizo and a sharp cheese, for example....

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
They are beautiful, GG. How much heat do they have? I can't buy Anaheim chiles here, but they look similar (in shape and size, not color) to poblanos, which have very little heat, just alot of flavor. Roasted and frozen would definitely be make a great frozen asset for you all winter...but it would be fun to try them stuffed and baked, like chiles rellenos. Or even Chiles en Nogada. I also like Kimchee's idea about stuffing with goat cheese. Yum.

GotGarlic

They are beautiful, GG. How much heat do they have? I can't buy Anaheim chiles here, but they look similar (in shape and size, not color) to poblanos, which have very little heat, just alot of flavor. Roasted and frozen would definitely be make a great frozen asset for you all winter...but it would be fun to try them stuffed and baked, like chiles rellenos. Or even Chiles en Nogada. I also like Kimchee's idea about stuffing with goat cheese. Yum.

Thanks :smile: They're narrower than poblanos and not very hot. I have over a dozen, so I'll probably roast and freeze some (maybe use them in a red chile sauce for enchiladas) and try the rellenos. I've never made them before, so what the hey?

Thanks for all the great ideas.