Weber gloat

Mak

A local hardware store had a Weber S420 on display and marked it down $10 every day until it sold.I scored it for $689.:a1:

Since it's new, should I start some kind of regimen (soak it with pam) to help keep it clean?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
The grates are porcelain coated, so not much of anything in the way of maintenance there. No need for Pam, and Pam can cause a weird build-up on porcelain, so I’d avoid it.

Just fire and heat your grill for 5-10 minutes then scrub the grates with a nylon grill brush. That’s it, they’re ready to cook on.

There is a grease drip port underneath, make sure to keep a catcher in it. Dump the catcher every week or so.

As for cleaning, the heat of the grill will ash the fats that drip, and those that don’t ash will drip to the catcher.

It’s a very easy grill to maintain. Once every 3 months (once a month if you’re anal like me), pull the grates off and soap them up (in the bathtub is easiest) and cleanse with a nylon scrubby. Then use a wooden spatula to scrape the insides of the grill and push all the ashed fat down through the catch port into your catcher.

Very, very easy grill to maintain. Good score!

Mak

Thanks.The grates are stainless.Maybe 3/8 thick.Not porcelain.Same method applies though.
The doors and lid are porcelain-enameled.What about the longevity of this?
My goal is to someday build a "mini-basic" outdoor kitchen.Can it be switched to natural gas with an orfice change?

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks.The grates are stainless.Maybe 3/8 thick.Not porcelain.Same method applies though.
The doors and lid are porcelain-enameled.What about the longevity of this?
My goal is to someday build a "mini-basic" outdoor kitchen.Can it be switched to natural gas with an orfice change?

Stainless grates? On that model? How cool! That is an upgrade my friend! Great score.

For those, heat 5-10 minutes and then scrape with a copper wire grill brush. That's it. Cook.

The porcelain body is fine if you scrape it with a wood spatula. Do not chip that porcelain coating or it will rust clean through. That's why I say use a wooden spatula (I've got 3 I use regularly) to do the deed. As long as the coating is in tact, you're good to go for years on end with minimal cleaning. Just scrape it once a month and you're good.

LETHAL GTS

I have the older style Weber like yours. Almost 14 years old this coming June. Covered it for the first couple years, since then it has sat outside in the rain snow sun etc.. It's getting tired, but I bet I could get another 3 to 5 years out of it if I replace the burners and flavorizer bars.
You can't go wrong with your grill...top notch stuff!! Congrats!

Mak

It was winter when I bought it and posted. I'm getting it out of the garage and firing it up tomorrow. I hate to take a chance on burning a $1300 grill:biggrin:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Have fun with it! We'd love to see some pics if possible.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What did you grill for your inaugural cook, Mak???

Lee