We are sinking

LastManStanding

Sri Lanka is in the worst economic situation since the British left 74 years ago.
No fuel and therefore no power for hours. No LP gas and therefore people cannot cook.
No medicine at hospitals and therefore many surgeries are postponed indefinitely.
Prices of commodities have literally doubled, or tripled.
And therefore people are protesting against the president.
If the president leaves there will be anarchy, and there will be a lot of trouble. But people don't understand that.
Due to protests tourism is crippled and therefore the economy is sliding to zero.
Facebook heroes are encouraging protests and blocking of roads and all types of blows to the economy.
Need at least 8 billion dollars this year but only 1.6 billion is left, and therefore the country is desperately looking to restructure the foreign debt.
Waiting for IMF but not very sure what they would say.

The best part is... it's new year on the 13th and 14th ! People are spending their savings for new year celebrations.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Is it possible for you/your family to somehow get out of there? That sounds like hell to me. Things are not great in the US but not nearly that bad.

LastManStanding

Thanks Lee. Cooksie we can't go anywhere. Our passport is really weak. There aren't many countries that let us enter, or even consider us for a visa unless we show something like half a million dollars in the bank.
The only way out is by getting tourists, who would pay in dollars. I used to work on Fiverr. Had an account based in Canada, but the guy who created it said it's a nusiance for him and closed the account 🤣🤣🤣
If tourism picks up then all will be alright at least to a certain extent. But things are not going that way now.
Life is a strange experience here 😅🤣

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I missed that you were from Sri Lanka. That was (maybe still is) a radio hub for the US Navy. Years ago I had some shipmates stationed there. It was not the most exciting place but sure sounded interesting.
Being below the equator your fall and winter are on the way. Do you get snow there? How cold does it normally get?
Best wishes for attracting tourists some how. The world is crazy now and the Ukraine war just pushes things even crazier. With oil supplies in question and costs going up it's hard for folks to plan a lot of travel. Hope it all turns around soon.
Please do keep us posted.

LastManStanding

I missed that you were from Sri Lanka. That was (maybe still is) a radio hub for the US Navy. Years ago I had some shipmates stationed there. It was not the most exciting place but sure sounded interesting.
Being below the equator your fall and winter are on the way. Do you get snow there? How cold does it normally get?
Best wishes for attracting tourists some how. The world is crazy now and the Ukraine war just pushes things even crazier. With oil supplies in question and costs going up it's hard for folks to plan a lot of travel. Hope it all turns around soon.
Please do keep us posted.
Thanks Doc, the climate here is not like in other parts of the world. Seasons are not very different from each other, except for the rainy season. The hill country has a mild climate while the coldest area is Nuwara Eliya which sees around 5C the lowest, that too only for about 2 months, but no snow in Sri Lanka. I am from Kandy, the hill country, and the climate is mild.
Other areas are much hotter. Tourists come here for the beaches and hiking. Being a small island Sri Lanka is very popular among tourists for two things: beaches and seafood. Many tourists also come for hiking, and some others come for the history.
I thought that with the Ukraine war people might try to visit other countries just to relax a little bit, even if it's so, without fuel no one would like to come here. It's hard to find a vehicle because you can't find fuel easily like before. And in to the bargain, roads are blocked by the protesters.
Many tourists are stranded in train stations etc at least for a few hours. Having planned for a number of days, they have to go back without seeing half the itinerary. So the word goes to others that it's not a wise idea to visit here these days.
We have a history spanning beyond 2500 years, and was one of the most developed civilizations with engineering marvels. Today that's only a fairy tale. We are still stuck with stories about those days, while the world has moved on.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you for the insights to your home. I find it very interesting and wish you luck in attracting tourists once again.

LastManStanding

Foreign reserves are critically low. (Sri Lanka’s foreign liquidity reserves, which amounted to USD 7.6 billion by the end of 2019, have dropped to a critically low level below USD 50 million.). Very soon there will be longer power cuts, and then no power at all except for the essential services like hospitals.
Unions have organized a "hartal" - a civil disobedience type of protest on the 6th.
Life is going to be really really hard. lol.

LastManStanding

Today there were clashes. One group beat up a camp set up by protesters. Then they were beaten by people when they were returning home. Many buses and cars were burnt. Many houses were burnt. Prime minister resigned. Police curfew now but people are still on the road, burning down property. This looks really bad now.

LastManStanding

A new cabinet will be sworn in today. A new Prime Minister was sworn in 2 days ago. Hopefully that will bring some calm to at least among some people.
BTW did anyone watch the above video? It's the burning of a Lamborghini by a mob.

LastManStanding

President has decided to leave on the 13th. Speaker might assume his duties. Not sure what's going to happen next. I hope there won't be any need for a peace keeping mission but there's a lot going on underneath all the protests, resignations, and new proposals.
Meanwhile I'm trying to get some work online, as the economy will be in ruins for a long time. Local currency has no value at all.
Food-wise I think I'll be safe compared to the majority because we have grown some food stuff. Cassava, long beans, sweet potatoes, and there's jackfruit too.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I thought of you when I was reading about the Presidential Palace being over run.
How far away from the madness are you?
Best wishes for getting through what must be a very tough time in your country.

LastManStanding

I thought of you when I was reading about the Presidential Palace being over run.
How far away from the madness are you?
Best wishes for getting through what must be a very tough time in your country.
Thanks Doc I'm far away from the action and am physically safe. But the real problem is that this revolution will not turn around anything. Economy will be down for years. I mean, who gives money for fuel imports? No one. Who gives medicine? No one. Some organisations will send aid packs but not what hospitals need for serious surgeries and other treatments. Without fuel no power, no schools, no transport, no food, nothing. Gradually our plight is becoming political games for other countries too.
Anthony Blinken says that Russia is a cause for this. But we know it's not even distantly a reason. The reason is years of mismanagement and commission based contracts and, basically, corrupt politicians in my country. But Blinken wants political advantage through our suffering. IMF is dragging on discussions to help, all the while some other selected countries get billions overnight. They can easily force the Sri Lankan authorities to streamline the administration, and help us through the UN agencies. China is not ready to restructure the loans. Instead they say they will give another loan to pay the current loans. So they can strangle us even more. Russia is not even thinking of helping. But all 3 countries have been very close and been always saying that they want us to prosper.
I'm sorry i know I've been bitching over our misfortune here, spoiling the forum. But I can't help but screaming about this somewhere people can hear. I'll stick to food. 🙂

Johnny West

Thanks Doc I'm far away from the action and am physically safe. But the real problem is that this revolution will not turn around anything. Economy will be down for years. I mean, who gives money for fuel imports? No one. Who gives medicine? No one. Some organisations will send aid packs but not what hospitals need for serious surgeries and other treatments. Without fuel no power, no schools, no transport, no food, nothing. Gradually our plight is becoming political games for other countries too.
Anthony Blinken says that Russia is a cause for this. But we know it's not even distantly a reason. The reason is years of mismanagement and commission based contracts and, basically, corrupt politicians in my country. But Blinken wants political advantage through our suffering. IMF is dragging on discussions to help, all the while some other selected countries get billions overnight. They can easily force the Sri Lankan authorities to streamline the administration, and help us through the UN agencies. China is not ready to restructure the loans. Instead they say they will give another loan to pay the current loans. So they can strangle us even more. Russia is not even thinking of helping. But all 3 countries have been very close and been always saying that they want us to prosper.
I'm sorry i know I've been bitching over our misfortune here, spoiling the forum. But I can't help but screaming about this somewhere people can hear. I'll stick to food. 🙂
No, I’m pleased you are sharing this information. Glad you are safe…

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No, I’m pleased you are sharing this information. Glad you are safe…
I'll 2nd that. I am glad you are shaing this information. Sad but it's what is happening there. I fear as some point some dummies might try the same crap here. This forum is for food talk and everything else. that is why we have an open off topic forum away from the foodie stuff. Speak of whatever is on your mind there. Life is about so much more than just food and it's okay to talk about anything going on in our life that you want to share. No worries.
Best wishes to you and your country.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'll 2nd that. I am glad you are shaing this information. Sad but it's what is happening there. I fear as some point some dummies might try the same crap here. This forum is for food talk and everything else. that is why we have an open off topic forum away from the foodie stuff. Speak of whatever is on your mind there. Life is about so much more than just food and it's okay to talk about anything going on in our life that you want to share. No worries.
Best wishes to you and your country.
Indeed, that's what sets us apart from other cooking forums.
😊